PhotoBanter.com

-   -   canon s20 ac adapter (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=56435)

[email protected] February 2nd 06 11:17 AM

canon s20 ac adapter

As I no longer have the original charger, and the replacement charger
has no AC socket, can anyone tell me what I need to run this camera
from a UK mains socket. I have the lead from the camera but no 6.5v
1.5a source.
Thanks for any advice.

ASAAR February 2nd 06 12:14 PM

canon s20 ac adapter

On 2 Feb 2006 03:17:05 -0800, wrote:

As I no longer have the original charger, and the replacement charger
has no AC socket, can anyone tell me what I need to run this camera
from a UK mains socket. I have the lead from the camera but no 6.5v
1.5a source.

The Canon S20 has no power connector that I'm aware of. In my
case, the camera only came with a disposable lithium battery, and I
had to buy Canon's charger kit separately (DK-100). In addition to
the charger (CA-PS-100/100E) it included a DC Coupler (DR-100A)
which had a small, odd, proprietary DC terminal on the end of its
cord that plugged into the charger. The other end of the cord had a
blob similar in size and shape to the NB-5H battery packs normally
used with the S20. I assume that this is the "lead" that you have.

If your lead from the camera has the battery-like thing on the end
(the DR-100A coupler) but the replacement charger has no small
socket for the other end of the cable (DC, not AC), I suppose you
could cut the DC terminal off and mate the end of the cable to a
small transformer or "wall wart" capable of supplying between 1.0
and 1.5 amps. at a voltage anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 volts, since it
would replace the NB-5H battery pack that operates over a range of
from 6 volts down to probably about 5.3 volts. You could probably
get by with a transformer supplying even less than 1 amp if you
don't intend to use the camera's flash at the same time.

[email protected] February 2nd 06 01:34 PM

canon s20 ac adapter

Many thanks. Yes, I have the DR-100A so I'll look around for a suitable
transformer. Are there other devices that run on a similar voltage that
might be easier to track down?

ASAAR February 2nd 06 02:59 PM

canon s20 ac adapter

On 2 Feb 2006 05:34:03 -0800, wrote:

Many thanks. Yes, I have the DR-100A so I'll look around for a suitable
transformer. Are there other devices that run on a similar voltage that
might be easier to track down?

You're welcome. What kind of devices do you mean? The older
Canon S10 camera has the same power requirement but I imagine that
you were asking about something else. There are several portable
powered stereo speakers that are designed to use 4 AA batteries but
also include large, heavy transformers in the package that are
probably suitable for powering the camera. A few others (including
some made by Sony and Logitech) include smaller switching power
supplies. This might be a cost effective way to get a compatible
transformer if you also intended to get the speakers, but the cost
of just a transformer should be much lower, and they're widely
available in stores such as Radio Shack.

[email protected] February 2nd 06 03:02 PM

canon s20 ac adapter

Thanks again

BJ in Texas February 2nd 06 06:54 PM

canon s20 ac adapter

wrote:
|| As I no longer have the original charger, and the replacement
|| charger has no AC socket, can anyone tell me what I need to
|| run this camera from a UK mains socket. I have the lead from
|| the camera but no 6.5v
|| 1.5a source.
|| Thanks for any advice.

Canon ACK-E2

--
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that
you are wonderful." -- Ann Landers