PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Ever seen pictures come up on a usenet post? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=132749)

Carlos E.R. May 9th 20 11:24 PM

Ever seen pictures come up on a usenet post?

On 09/05/2020 21.18, RichA wrote:
On Friday, 8 May 2020 18:17:49 UTC-4, RichA wrote:
Not ones you click, but that are embedded and visible in the reader?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...tv/T_PhPyBXaWg

HTML.

The custom is to post in plain text, but I tried once to send an html
post on a private nntp server as a test and it certainly worked (1).
There were no filters to block it. Some people scandalized, so I did not
repeat the experiment, but it showed that the technology was in place,
just unused.

I am this moment subscribing to rec.arts.tv to see that post in
Thunderbird. I use leafnode as proxy.
[...]

Yes, the photos do show. Not by default, Thunderbird warns that there is
remote content, and I have to explicitly enable it - same as for any
html email I get. That is, the post doesn't include the photos, they are
downloaded when you open the post.

You can probably view the source at your side.

(1) that nntp server had a gateway to a web forum, and they of course
posted with text format and sometimes photos, and they were lost when
gated to the nntp side. So I tried to see if nntp was html capable, and
it was. It was just the gateway that wasn't.

--
Cheers, Carlos.