PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Opinions Wanted (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=127353)

Eric Stevens May 21st 14 04:46 AM

Opinions Wanted

Some years ago I used my trusty D70 to take a photograph of a west
coast bay in rough conditions. Recently I've been trying to arrive at
a composition suitable for printing on matte paper in A2 size and
suitable for framing and hanging on a wall.

My present problem is that every member of my family has a different
idea of the best composition and in an attempt to bring peace I have
made three different versions. That hasn't really helped as I now have
three different sets of strong opinions.

I know that computer monitors are not ideal for viewing and proofing
prints of this kind but I am interested in gathering the opinions of
anyone in this newsgroup who is bold enough to state one. You can find
a JPG of each version in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens May 21st 14 05:11 AM

Opinions Wanted

On Wed, 21 May 2014 00:01:20 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Wed, 21 May 2014 15:46:16 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Some years ago I used my trusty D70 to take a photograph of a west
coast bay in rough conditions. Recently I've been trying to arrive at
a composition suitable for printing on matte paper in A2 size and
suitable for framing and hanging on a wall.

My present problem is that every member of my family has a different
idea of the best composition and in an attempt to bring peace I have
made three different versions. That hasn't really helped as I now have
three different sets of strong opinions.

I know that computer monitors are not ideal for viewing and proofing
prints of this kind but I am interested in gathering the opinions of
anyone in this newsgroup who is bold enough to state one. You can find
a JPG of each version in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

I'd go with #2, but it's your photo.

Why not three framed versions, each in a different room?

Open plan house. Effectively only the one suitable room. :-)

Eric Stevens

Savageduck[_3_] May 21st 14 05:23 AM

Opinions Wanted

On 2014-05-21 03:46:16 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

Some years ago I used my trusty D70 to take a photograph of a west
coast bay in rough conditions. Recently I've been trying to arrive at
a composition suitable for printing on matte paper in A2 size and
suitable for framing and hanging on a wall.

My present problem is that every member of my family has a different
idea of the best composition and in an attempt to bring peace I have
made three different versions. That hasn't really helped as I now have
three different sets of strong opinions.

I know that computer monitors are not ideal for viewing and proofing
prints of this kind but I am interested in gathering the opinions of
anyone in this newsgroup who is bold enough to state one. You can find
a JPG of each version in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

OK you asked for it:

#1 is OK except for the grass in the foreground. To me it has a chopped
off and careless crop feel to it.
#2 is too heavy on the right and has the same foreground issues as #1.
#3 has in my opinion the best balance of crop and preservation of
foreground, and does not have the over heavy right side.
#3 gets my vote as the one to go with.

Savageduck

Eric Stevens May 21st 14 05:33 AM

Opinions Wanted

On Wed, 21 May 2014 00:14:14 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The cost is in the frame and the matting, not the print. Print all
three and change what's in the frame once a month.

The glass is the most expensive item.

Eric Stevens

#1 is OK except for the grass in the foreground. To me it has a chopped
off and careless crop feel to it.
#2 is too heavy on the right and has the same foreground issues as #1.
#3 has in my opinion the best balance of crop and preservation of
foreground, and does not have the over heavy right side.
#3 gets my vote as the one to go with.

BTW: That 18-70mm Nikkor is a very good and sharp lens considering it
was a kit lens and not particularly expensive. I still use mine from
time-to-time on my D300S. It is sharper than my 18-200mm VRII so if
called for....

Savageduck

David Taylor May 21st 14 07:23 AM

Opinions Wanted

On 21/05/2014 04:46, Eric Stevens wrote:
Some years ago I used my trusty D70 to take a photograph of a west
coast bay in rough conditions. Recently I've been trying to arrive at
a composition suitable for printing on matte paper in A2 size and
suitable for framing and hanging on a wall.

[]

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

#2 for me.

--
Cheers,
David

Neil Ellwood[_8_] May 21st 14 10:09 AM

Opinions Wanted

On Wed, 21 May 2014 15:46:16 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

Some years ago I used my trusty D70 to take a photograph of a west coast
bay in rough conditions. Recently I've been trying to arrive at a
composition suitable for printing on matte paper in A2 size and suitable
for framing and hanging on a wall.

My present problem is that every member of my family has a different
idea of the best composition and in an attempt to bring peace I have
made three different versions. That hasn't really helped as I now have
three different sets of strong opinions.

I know that computer monitors are not ideal for viewing and proofing
prints of this kind but I am interested in gathering the opinions of
anyone in this newsgroup who is bold enough to state one. You can find a
JPG of each version in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

You are the photographer. It is your seeing that you want to reproduce.
Print it how YOU like it. To repeat - it is YOUR picture so be true to
your own vision.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘i’ and ‘e’

-hh May 21st 14 11:17 AM

Opinions Wanted

Eric Stevens wrote:

I know that computer monitors are not ideal for viewing and proofing
prints of this kind but I am interested in gathering the opinions of
anyone in this newsgroup who is bold enough to state one. You can find
a JPG of each version in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

In looking through the three images, one thing I noticed is that #3 was the
"least" crop of the three. I don't know if its the full frame original or not.

In any case, I didn't really care too much for #1 or #2 ...

#1 seems to emphasis the foreground, rather than the bay.

#2 is bringing the eye into the hills/cliffs beyond the bay, which hints at your intent

#3 has even more foreground, which seems even more distracting.

What I'd suggest is ... more/different crops. Might help too with the family, as
no one gets "their way" from the first round.

Here's a direction that I'd suggest considering - - this is quick & dirty; I might
want to have kept a bit more sky to the top:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4ib67605r...cker3-crop.jpg

In any case, I hope it inspires some expression. My thought process was that
with the piece's title being "Bay", the context of the open water on the left is
a necessary element. Similarly, I believe that you have more interest in the
hills/cliffs than in the grasses, so this was adjusted accordingly (max/min).

Hope this helps,

-hh

#1 seems to emphasis the foreground, rather than the bay.

#2 is bringing the eye into the hills/cliffs beyond the bay, which hints at your intent

#3 has even more foreground, which seems even more distracting.

What I'd suggest is ... more/different crops. Might help too with the family, as

no one gets "their way" from the first round.

Here's a direction that I'd suggest considering - - this is quick & dirty; I might

want to have kept a bit more sky to the top:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4ib67605r...cker3-crop.jpg

Admin ... I've not used dropbox much; this might be the public link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hc36x7ou7...IG5X_nxh082rQa