PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Photography, the Hard Way (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=129286)

Davoud March 16th 16 01:45 PM

Photography, the Hard Way

http://profoto.com/blog/fine-art-pho...n-ruhter-creat
ing-largest-wet-plate-collodion-ambrotype-world/

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

newshound March 16th 16 08:40 PM

Photography, the Hard Way

On 3/16/2016 1:45 PM, Davoud wrote:
http://profoto.com/blog/fine-art-pho...n-ruhter-creat
ing-largest-wet-plate-collodion-ambrotype-world/

The image *I* liked most was the dogs sheltering in the shade of the camera!

(OK the others were not bad)

Sandman March 17th 16 07:49 AM

Photography, the Hard Way

In article , Davoud wrote:

http://profoto.com/blog/fine-art-pho...n-ruhter-creat
ing-largest-wet-plate-collodion-ambrotype-world

Another case of the process of capturing the photographs is far more
interesting than the photographs themselves. Technique over result.

And really:

"For the behind-the-scenes material we relied on our trusty iPhones
to capture these moments. Unfortunately, mine and my assistant Will
Eichelberger phones both crashed and we lost all of our photos.
This is one of the reasons I believe in making tangible things.
It's quite hard to lose a 27 x 36 inch glass plate."

********, it's about a thousand times "easier" to crash a large glass plate
than an iPhone. And anyone using an iPhone without iCloud backup is making a
mistake.

--
Sandman

Mort[_3_] March 17th 16 10:00 PM

Photography, the Hard Way

Davoud wrote:
http://profoto.com/blog/fine-art-pho...n-ruhter-creat
ing-largest-wet-plate-collodion-ambrotype-world/

In many years of taking digital photos, using SanDisk SD cards, I have
had only one bad card. That did not work in my camera, but it did in
my computer and my printer,so the pix were not lost.

There is available a small portable battery operated unit that takes a
photo SD card and quickly burns the pix to a CD-R. It is useful in the
field.

I transfer images from camera to laptop via a locked SD card; never by
cable or wi-fi.

Mort Linder

nospam March 17th 16 10:31 PM

Photography, the Hard Way

In article , Mort wrote:

In many years of taking digital photos, using SanDisk SD cards, I have
had only one bad card. That did not work in my camera, but it did in
my computer and my printer,so the pix were not lost.

it wasn't a bad card if you were able to read the photos.

There is available a small portable battery operated unit that takes a
photo SD card and quickly burns the pix to a CD-R. It is useful in the
field.

there is nothing quick about burning a cd, which doesn't hold much
anyway (about 20 photos for a typical camera today).

it also means you would need to carry a bunch of blank cds and then
carry both the burned ones and whatever blanks were not used.

a much better alternative is a portable hard drive with a card slot,
some of which have small displays to preview the photos. they're small
enough to fit in a pocket.

another option is bring a laptop, which can then be used to edit the
photos on site. for smaller amounts of photos, a tablet could also
work, uploading them after finishing the edits.

I transfer images from camera to laptop via a locked SD card; never by
cable or wi-fi.

that makes no difference whatsoever, other than the time to copy if the
camera's usb is slow (i.e., not usb 3).

with wifi, the copying is automatic as the photos are taken, so there's
no additional copy time needed. the photos are already on the computer.
it's as convenient as it gets.

Savageduck[_3_] March 18th 16 12:05 AM

Photography, the Hard Way

On 2016-03-17 22:00:19 +0000, Mort said:

Davoud wrote:
http://profoto.com/blog/fine-art-pho...n-ruhter-creat
ing-largest-wet-plate-collodion-ambrotype-world/

In many years of taking digital photos, using SanDisk SD cards, I have
had only one bad card. That did not work in my camera, but it did in
my computer and my printer,so the pix were not lost.

After retrieving the image files and loading them on your computer,
format the SD card in-camera.

There is available a small portable battery operated unit that takes a
photo SD card and quickly burns the pix to a CD-R. It is useful in the
field.

As part of my triple redundant, on the road back-up protocol, I use a
HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA which does full and incremental card
back-ups without the need for a computer. I still have my original
version bought in 2009, they are now up to UDMA3. It reads CF, SD, and
several other card types.
http://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

I transfer images from camera to laptop via a locked SD card; never by
cable or wi-fi.

Mort Linder

I use whatever transfer method is convenient at the time, cable linked
reader for CF cards, built-in SD card reader, WiFi, from the ColorSpace
UDMA. None of them has failed me yet.

Savageduck

Eric Stevens March 18th 16 12:08 AM

Photography, the Hard Way

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 18:00:19 -0400, Mort wrote:

Davoud wrote:
http://profoto.com/blog/fine-art-pho...n-ruhter-creat
ing-largest-wet-plate-collodion-ambrotype-world/

In many years of taking digital photos, using SanDisk SD cards, I have
had only one bad card. That did not work in my camera, but it did in
my computer and my printer,so the pix were not lost.

There is available a small portable battery operated unit that takes a
photo SD card and quickly burns the pix to a CD-R. It is useful in the
field.

I transfer images from camera to laptop via a locked SD card; never by
cable or wi-fi.

I variously use either method. The problem with doing it directly from
the card is that the computer cannot then set the time in my camera.
Fortunately the Nikon D750 seems to have a very accurate clock.

Eric Stevens

Bill W March 18th 16 12:43 AM

Photography, the Hard Way

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 18:31:35 -0400, nospam
wrote:

another option is bring a laptop, which can then be used to edit the
photos on site. for smaller amounts of photos, a tablet could also
work, uploading them after finishing the edits.

I was surprised to learn that they make card readers that plug into a
micro USB slot on an Android tablet or phone. I bought a Lenovo 10.1"
tablet, and the card reader, and the 64GB micro SD cards for the
tablet are only about $20 these days. So now I can take as many photos
as I want, and transfer directly to the tablet which has LR installed,
and I then have the option of uploading the processed photos directly
to Flickr with the tablet. I think the 64 GB cards should hold about
3000 raw files. I have admittedly not tested this, and do not know the
transfer speed yet. Then again, it's not so important if you're not in
a hurry, and if you have a couple of spare cards, why would you be?

Ain't technology great these days?

nospam March 18th 16 04:22 AM

Photography, the Hard Way

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

the only problem is that phones and tablets don't have a lot of storage
capacity.

you won't be copying a 64 gig card onto a 16 or 32 gig tablet,
especially if the tablet is partially filled with apps, music, etc.

the advantage of a laptop is that it has more internal space and
external drives can easily be plugged into it. the disadvantage of a
laptop is it's bulky. a portable storage device that has a card reader
fits in a pocket, so you can leave the laptop at home or the hotel.

Ain't technology great these days?

sure is.

PAS[_2_] March 18th 16 01:06 PM

Photography, the Hard Way

On 2016-03-17 22:00:19 +0000, Mort said:

Davoud wrote:
[...]

Back when I got my first DSLR and a 256MB CF card cost $80.00, I bought
a Tripper portable storage device. It has a whopping 30GB drive in it.

http://timg.danawa.com/prod_img/larg...1/120754_1.jpg

I think it cost me around $250.00 when I got it. It still works but
there's no need for it now with such a small amount of storage.