PhotoBanter.com

-   Large Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   question on lens mounting (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=103824)

John J January 22nd 09 03:06 AM

question on lens mounting

Cheesehead wrote:
Lats night I picked up a Goerz 19 inch red dot artar at a pretty
reasoable price.
Now I wonder about mouting it in a shutter -- an expensive option.
Is there any shutter that it will directly front-mount onto?
Or should I just give consideration to a Packard for practicality?

What are the dimensions?

John J January 23rd 09 11:04 PM

question on lens mounting

Cheesehead wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:06 pm, John J wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:
Lats night I picked up a Goerz 19 inch red dot artar at a pretty
reasoable price.
Now I wonder about mouting it in a shutter -- an expensive option.
Is there any shutter that it will directly front-mount onto?
Or should I just give consideration to a Packard for practicality?

What are the dimensions?

Looks like the thread is 64mm.

Here is a great resource: http://www.skgrimes.com/fits/index.htm

There is an entry for the 19" f-11 Goerz Arter.
Search the page (command-F) for that string.

Short answer is #3 Copal, #4 Ilex, or front-mount with #5 Ilex.

PhilipTobias January 24th 09 03:15 AM

question on lens mounting

Cheesehead wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:06 pm, John J wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:

I've seen, but only one, and old wood-frame closth focal plane shutter
for barrel lenses.
But I've forgotten what they're called.

A Packard shutter, such as the following?

http://www.skgrimes.com/packard/index.htm
http://www.packardshutter.com/

....pt

--
Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -

John J January 24th 09 03:32 AM

question on lens mounting

PhilipTobias wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:06 pm, John J wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:

I've seen, but only one, and old wood-frame closth focal plane shutter
for barrel lenses.
But I've forgotten what they're called.

A Packard shutter, such as the following?

http://www.skgrimes.com/packard/index.htm
http://www.packardshutter.com/

No. I know Packards. I use them.

There was a roller-shutter enclosed in a box that fit to the front of
the lens. Gosh, I know the name-brand of it will come to me later,
probably just as my head hits the pillow to sleep.

John J January 24th 09 12:58 PM

question on lens mounting

Cheesehead wrote:
On Jan 23, 10:32 pm, John J wrote:
PhilipTobias wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:06 pm, John J wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:
I've seen, but only one, and old wood-frame closth focal plane shutter
for barrel lenses.
But I've forgotten what they're called.
A Packard shutter, such as the following?
http://www.skgrimes.com/packard/index.htm
http://www.packardshutter.com/

No. I know Packards. I use them.

There was a roller-shutter enclosed in a box that fit to the front of
the lens. Gosh, I know the name-brand of it will come to me later,
probably just as my head hits the pillow to sleep.

Thornton-Pickard

That's it! Thanks.
http://licm.org.uk/livingImage/Shutters-Blind.html

It was behind door four. :(