PhotoBanter.com

-   Large Format Equipment For Sale (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Horseman part (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=58697)

Cheesehead March 13th 06 12:34 PM

Horseman part

I picked up an 8x10 "project" camera from Midwest a couple of months
ago.
It was constructed from some Toyo and Horseman parts, coupled with some
quality picture frame components. It's actually rather well-built.
I've finished most of the project but now have one last thing -- tripod
mounting.
I can either have the short (half-meter) monorail tapped at a machine
shop so
that it will screw directly onto a tripod, or get the Horseman mount
part to do it right.
(will provide pic as needed).
Anyone know of a source for the mount part?

TIA,

Collin

Draco March 13th 06 03:41 PM

Horseman part

Have your machine shop make you a part.
A aluminum block drilled out for the
mono-rail and drilled and tapped for the
tripod mount. The block should also
have a slice removed and a tight
down bolt drilled and tapped. So the
rail won't move. Or just buy the dang part.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Nicholas O. Lindan March 13th 06 04:28 PM

Horseman part

"Cheesehead" wrote

I can either have the short (half-meter) monorail tapped
at a machine shop so that it will screw directly onto a
tripod

You need a large flat contact area between the monorail and the
tripod. Screwing the tripod right to the rail isn't going to do
it and will be a disaster if the rail is round.

I would look at rail clamps for Sinar/Horseman/Graphic/Cambo....
and pick one to clone. Or see if you can by a rail clamp cheap
on ebay and have the machine shop adapt it to your rail.

Being able to quickly remove the rail from the tripod - leaving
the clamp behind - is a great convenience. As is the ability
to rotate the rail in the clamp to line the camera up vertically.

If the clamp you make is aluminum be sure to use a hardened thread
insert or else the tripod screw will strip the threads.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com

Cheesehead March 13th 06 07:46 PM

Horseman part

Or just buy the dang part.

That's what I did.

Cheesehead March 13th 06 07:48 PM

Horseman part

I was amazed to find that Midwest had the part in stock.
So I bought it. Sure makes thing simple.
It cost a few bucks more than having a machine shop modify the rail
but the mount is better and it otherwise might be.

Collin