PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What is Kodak 200-8 film? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=124453)

D.M. Procida September 15th 12 09:01 PM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

Daniele

Alan Browne September 15th 12 09:24 PM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kodak+200-8

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.

D.M. Procida September 15th 12 10:31 PM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kodak+200-8

If you had actually bothered to perform a web search you would have
discovered that:

a) a number of people have also asked what the film is, and have not
found a conclusive answer, and

b) that no-one seems to have come up with a very good negative profile
for VueScan.

It wouldn't have taken you very long.

Daniele

Alan Browne September 15th 12 11:17 PM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

On 2012.09.15 17:31 , D.M. Procida wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kodak+200-8

If you had actually bothered to perform a web search you would have
discovered that:

a) a number of people have also asked what the film is, and have not
found a conclusive answer, and

b) that no-one seems to have come up with a very good negative profile
for VueScan.

It wouldn't have taken you very long.

If you had bothered to read the very first Google Search response you
would have discovered that it is indeed ColorPlus film and that said
film has a dodgy reputation.

As such, serious people doing serious scanning have not used it or
developed profiles for it and that is why you cannot find one.

If you have a good reference scan, however, you should be able to
develop settings that are adequate for a film that does not have high
expectations in the first place.

Or failing that, ask Tony "Bruce" Polson. He's expert in everything and
likely took his Paris March cover photo with that very film.

Alan Browne September 15th 12 11:43 PM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

Can you post some examples? One person's "wildly" is another person's
"slightly". Also scan it as a positive and post that.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

I used Kodak Gold 100 many times and it scanned well enough without
using any particular profile other than "color negative" as default.
(probably used the Minolta scanning s/w at the time and not VueScan).

I do recall it casted blue or green a bit so you can just push it
towards yellow or magenta as needed in post.

Alan Browne September 15th 12 11:54 PM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

On 2012.09.15 18:00 , Bruce wrote:
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kodak+200-8

If you had actually bothered to perform a web search you would have
discovered that:

a) a number of people have also asked what the film is, and have not
found a conclusive answer, and

b) that no-one seems to have come up with a very good negative profile
for VueScan.

It wouldn't have taken you very long.

But Alan Browne knows everything there is to know about photography.

At least I post photos - unlike some pompous airbags with nothing to
show but 4 poorly badly exposed, soft, grainy choo choos and a very bad
product shot. (Pathetic actually).

Noons September 16th 12 08:36 AM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

Alan Browne wrote,on my timestamp of 16/09/2012 8:54 AM:

At least I post photos - unlike some pompous airbags with nothing to show but 4
poorly badly exposed, soft, grainy choo choos and a very bad product shot.
(Pathetic actually).

Do you? Of film? Judging by all your interventions when the subject is film,
you must have a total understanding, practical and recent, of the subject.
Remarkably, you have NEVER produced any image remotely resembling film. So, by
your own rules, you are pathetic. What can I say?

Noons September 16th 12 08:37 AM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

D.M. Procida wrote,on my timestamp of 16/09/2012 6:01 AM:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

Daniele

Just use auto adjust and then use slight manual trimmingsd: it does the same as
profiles, with a wider range. I doubt you won't be able to correct for any film
that way.

D.M. Procida September 16th 12 09:48 AM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

So, there is indeed some mystery about this film.

Daniele

Alan Browne September 16th 12 02:05 PM

What is Kodak 200-8 film?

On 2012.09.16 04:48 , D.M. Procida wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

So, there is indeed some mystery about this film.

Not really.

Did you re-scan as I suggested?