PhotoBanter.com

-   -   A SOOC JPEG vs RAW Comparison (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=129405)

Savageduck[_3_] May 3rd 16 12:43 AM

A SOOC JPEG vs RAW Comparison

All the various Fuji oriented sites have gone on, and on at how good
the JPEGs are straight out of the camera (SOOC) with the Fuji X-Series.
I have been shooting RAW+JPEG, but up until this weekend I have not
bothered to even look at the JPEGs. So when I did just that with my
Triathlon bikers shots from Saturday I was quite surprised to see just
how good the SOOC JPEGs were, and beyond a crop they did not need any
adjustment, and could be shared as shot. Needless to say the RAW files
needed all the help post could give them. So here is a side-by-side
comparison of an unadjusted RAW and SOOC JPEG.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_79a.jpg

That comparison made, I suspect that there are going to be quite a
number of my future shots where I will share some SOOC JPEGs as the
camera cooks them.

Savageduck

Mort[_3_] May 3rd 16 02:39 AM

Savageduck wrote:
All the various Fuji oriented sites have gone on, and on at how good the
JPEGs are straight out of the camera (SOOC) with the Fuji X-Series. I
have been shooting RAW+JPEG, but up until this weekend I have not
bothered to even look at the JPEGs. So when I did just that with my
Triathlon bikers shots from Saturday I was quite surprised to see just
how good the SOOC JPEGs were, and beyond a crop they did not need any
adjustment, and could be shared as shot. Needless to say the RAW files
needed all the help post could give them. So here is a side-by-side
comparison of an unadjusted RAW and SOOC JPEG.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_79a.jpg

That comparison made, I suspect that there are going to be quite a
number of my future shots where I will share some SOOC JPEGs as the
camera cooks them.

Thanks for the interesting comparison. I do not remember the details,
but I recently read in a review of a new camera, that the (finest
setting) JPEGs were at least equal to the RAW images, sooc.

It's fascinating. When in doubt, I run tests for image quality both
on-screen and at 8x10" prints. Occasionally, I am quite surprised.

Mort Linder

Savageduck[_3_] May 3rd 16 03:19 AM

On 2016-05-03 01:39:00 +0000, Mort said:

Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Here is a SOOC JPEG from that shoot, no post at all. Not resized, or
compressed beyond the original. I guess if brought down to typical
veiwing size it would be quite acceptable.
https://db.tt/9pEUyjhc

Savageduck

Alfred Molon[_4_] May 10th 16 07:54 PM

A SOOC JPEG vs RAW Comparison

In article 2016050216435780324-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...

All the various Fuji oriented sites have gone on, and on at how good
the JPEGs are straight out of the camera (SOOC) with the Fuji X-Series.
I have been shooting RAW+JPEG, but up until this weekend I have not
bothered to even look at the JPEGs. So when I did just that with my
Triathlon bikers shots from Saturday I was quite surprised to see just
how good the SOOC JPEGs were, and beyond a crop they did not need any
adjustment, and could be shared as shot. Needless to say the RAW files
needed all the help post could give them. So here is a side-by-side
comparison of an unadjusted RAW and SOOC JPEG.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_79a.jpg

That comparison made, I suspect that there are going to be quite a
number of my future shots where I will share some SOOC JPEGs as the
camera cooks them.

Out of camera JPEGs have been very good in a number of cameras already
for a while, which is why I always shoot RAW+JPEG because then I can
choose whether to use the OOC JPEG or the post-processed RAW.
--
Alfred Molon