PhotoBanter.com

-   Other Photographic Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   film/photo scanners (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=107994)

Miles Bader[_2_] August 16th 09 02:48 AM

film/photo scanners

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced film/photo scanner (for both
35mm and 120 film)?

A few years ago, a bit of searching the net seemed to suggest that the
Epson V700 (now I guess V750, aka GT-X970 in Japan?) was the thing to
get -- good quality, decent price, more or less as good as you can get
without a dedicated film scanner (which seemed _much_ more expensive).

It's apparently still in production, which seems a good sign.

What's the story these days?

Looking at amazon.co.jp shows:
Epson GT-X970: ¥42,485 ($448)
Nikon coolscan 9000ED: ¥328,320 ($3,460) (ouch!)
(are there any other film scanners still in production?)

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space,
to have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less,

Michael[_6_] August 16th 09 05:23 AM

film/photo scanners

On 2009-08-15 21:48:43 -0400, Miles Bader said:

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced film/photo scanner (for both
35mm and 120 film)?

A few years ago, a bit of searching the net seemed to suggest that the
Epson V700 (now I guess V750, aka GT-X970 in Japan?) was the thing to
get -- good quality, decent price, more or less as good as you can get
without a dedicated film scanner (which seemed _much_ more expensive).

It's apparently still in production, which seems a good sign.

What's the story these days?

Looking at amazon.co.jp shows:
Epson GT-X970: ¥42,485 ($448)
Nikon coolscan 9000ED: ¥328,320 ($3,460) (ouch!)
(are there any other film scanners still in production?)

Thanks,

-Miles

Good God, where are you? The 9000 is about 2k$ in the US. And they make
the 5000 for half that. Do you need to scan MF? If not, go with the
5000. In fact, there are leftovers of the older model at about $600.
--
Michael

Miles Bader[_2_] August 16th 09 05:34 AM

film/photo scanners

Michael writes:
Good God, where are you? The 9000 is about 2k$ in the US. And they make
the 5000 for half that. Do you need to scan MF? If not, go with the
5000. In fact, there are leftovers of the older model at about $600.

In Japan.

Need to scan 120 film.

I just looked on amazon.co.jp for prices (not perfect, but they usually
reflect the lower end of "typical retail" in Japan); but even half of
$2k is still pretty dear...

-miles

--
Saa, shall we dance? (from a dance-class advertisement)

Sascha11 November 29th 11 01:33 PM

[quote='Miles Bader[_2_];825333']Michael writes:[color=blue][i]

I normally get a better quality scan and also get truer colors. I use a film scanner for doing my film. I have a flat bed scanner I use for photos as well as if I need to scan a Document for any reason. Costco normally has some that are pretty good.

There is a difference between the cheap ones and th really good ones. The biggest difference is the overall resolution you can scan at. If you want to be able to print a neg at 8x10, figure you will need to be able to scan it up 2400x3000dpi (since you print normally at 300 dpi thus 300x10 is 3000)

I hope this helps. I also would NOT suggest you you use any form of digital ice when you scan. As it not only will take a lot longer, it will soften the image. I will warn you, when you scan the images, for them to look great, they will need some touch up, so practice your Photoshops CS2 or CS3 skills.