would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

.......so much to learn...... ;o)

rj

Phil Wheeler December 6th 04 11:01 PM

wrote:
I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

Overseas travel. I have six 1 GB CF cards and get about 240 shots on
each (20D, Large-Fine).

Phil

Marcel December 6th 04 11:09 PM

You don't want to change cards or worry about the numbers. You take your
shots, whatever the number. You cull afterwards, yet you want to review the
best shots later and the more shots you have, the better your chances of
getting great souvenirs.
Marcel

[email protected] December 6th 04 11:15 PM

1. What if you loose that one card? While on safari in central Africa?
Nothing for 500 miles?
2. What if the card breaks? While on safari etc.etc. It happens.
3. What if you forgot to take off the 799 shots of Brittany Spears
f#%&ing the mailman you happened to be in a position to take, and
Sasquatch walks by? Do you format the card?

Seriously, I carry a 512MB (~150 pics with my camera on "super-high
quality" JPEG), and a 256MB and a very old 96MB as spares. And I've
used them all on numerous occasions.

Also, you might want to increase the resolution of the pics you're
taking, if possible. You only get one chance to take a picture; you
should make it as good a shot as possible (within reason, of course -
RAW may take too long). You won't get a chance to go back and shoot
that exact same moment again.....

ECM

Ken Weitzel December 6th 04 11:16 PM

wrote:
I see plug-in cards sized anywhere
from 64meg to 512meg.

Any reason to have half-dozen small cards ?
( or any spares at all ? )

I found a 512meg SD card on sale....
When I plugged it in, my camera announced I now had
capacity for 800+ pictures.

Unless you're taking pics for the high school graduating class,
would there be reason for any more ( spare ) cards ?

......so much to learn...... ;o)

Hi...

The Peter Principle works nicely here - "things will
expand to fill the space available for their storage" :)

Yes, have several. Perhaps one large (relatively expensive)
one, and a few smaller ones.

If you should lose one, as a recent poster did, you haven't
lost everything.

If one should fail, as all things sooner or later do, you
won't have lost everything.

And if you're fortunate enough to live in a wonderful
community such as mine, you'll have "loaners".
Whichever of your relatives or neighbors is going off on
vacation gets to take them all - except for one of the
smaller ones you keep on hand for local photo ops.

Just my opinion.

Ken