PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sound and other triggers (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=90663)

D.M. Procida December 22nd 07 12:07 AM

Sound and other triggers

I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Dave December 22nd 07 02:55 AM

Sound and other triggers

D.M. Procida wrote:
I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Here's a good site to get you started,lots of make your own stuff if
your handy,lots of advice anyway.
http://www.hiviz.com/

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770

[email protected] December 22nd 07 03:04 AM

Sound and other triggers

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 23:07:16 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Thanks,

Daniele

First, you need a cable remote release for the camera, and have someone check
how the contacts work, so you can use a relay.

Once you have determined that "dry" contacts can trigger the camera, you need an
audio activated switch. ("dry contact" refers to no foreign voltage present on
the contacts e.g. = a switch.)

There may be a kit available, such as the "clapper" lamp controller, or if you
can get a sensitive AC relay, you could use any audio device with a microphone
and speaker or headphone out.

You could ask on the electronic groups if someone can help you, or even build
you something.

I myself would buy a small amp kit, just a few watts, maybe from Canokit, and
fit it with a microphone and low voltage (6v) AC relay, and hook it up to a
cable release. Cost maybe $50 or so complete. You need an amp with mic
capability or the sound would have to be too loud. For a mic you just need any
cheap 'toy' you can find - else you could pay a lot!

Unfortunately, for water drops, you would need a very very good audio system!
(unless they fall on a drum!)

D.M. Procida December 22nd 07 10:54 AM

Sound and other triggers

Dave wrote:

I'd like to try taking photographs of such things as drops of water, or
exploding balloons.

What would you use to capture this with a digital SLR (in my case, a
Pentax K100)?

Here's a good site to get you started,lots of make your own stuff if
your handy,lots of advice anyway.
http://www.hiviz.com/

Thanks. It looks like I need to set the camera for a long exposure, and
then use something to trigger a flash unit.

So I guess I need, as well as a trigger kit, a flash unit which can be
triggered by a signal from a trigger.

What kind of flash unit would be suggested? I have an old flash unit
from my Praktica, but it doesn't have an input for a trigger.

Daniele

Mike Coon December 22nd 07 12:42 PM

Sound and other triggers

D.M. Procida wrote:
What kind of flash unit would be suggested? I have an old flash unit
from my Praktica, but it doesn't have an input for a trigger.

Daniele

But does it have a test button? If so then a trigger switch might be
connected there. There are also hot-shoe sockets that have a cable to
connect to old-fashioned sync sockets which might be used.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Dirty Harry December 22nd 07 11:58 PM

Sound and other triggers

Here's a good site to get you started,lots of make your own stuff if your
handy,lots of advice anyway.
http://www.hiviz.com/

Awesome, time to go to the electronics store!