PhotoBanter.com

-   Photographing People (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   how to put the border around a headshot? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4675)

stan December 31st 03 04:41 AM

how to put the border around a headshot?

Thanks.
Stan Visual Arts Photography

Marc 182 wrote:

In article , says...
Hey J C what is the "deeper" reason for the 300 ppi for digital? I'm seriously
behind the learning curve. Any help would be appreciated
Stan
Visual Arts Photography

You shouldn't top-post, that's for email. The effective resolution of
photo paper is around 200-250 ppi. By keeping the resolution of your
digital images above 300 ppi you ensure that no pixilation will be
detectable on your final output.

Marc

Marc 182 December 31st 03 07:19 AM

how to put the border around a headshot?

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:16:36 -0700, Marc 182
wrote:

You shouldn't top-post, that's for email. The effective resolution of
photo paper is around 200-250 ppi. By keeping the resolution of your
digital images above 300 ppi you ensure that no pixilation will be
detectable on your final output.

Marc

For digital printing on an inkjet or laser printer connected to a
computer the resolution recommendations have little to do with the
paper. It has everything to do with the print engines used by output
devices. And in fact, for inkjet printing generally a 150 ppi image is
more than enough for a photographic output

With real printing, on a printing press, the paper does play a small
role (because of dot gain, which is explained last).

Note, I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I was talking about
photographic paper, hypothetically the best possible output. Most
people are shocked to find out that the effective resolution of color
photo paper is only around 200-250 ppi, after all negs are an order of
magnitude higher resolution. My personal policy is to keep everything
above 300 ppi so I know no matter how I output it, the digital nature of
it won't be detectable.

Re. inkjets. I've been forced to print inkjet at 150 ppi or so, and the
result was ok, but on close examination you could tell. I'd say keep it
above 200 ppi if you can.

I don't get published much in mags, so I'll let all of that stand.
Sounded good to me.

Marc

M77 January 2nd 04 12:13 AM

how to put the border around a headshot?

"J C" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:30:33 -0800, "M77" wrote:
hicreproductions.com/4.htm

man, you other people are no help at all.

I hope you're kidding about that, cause several answers above are much
clearer than the one you provided.

yeah, that's why the original poster had to ask their question again?????
several of the previous responses were not clear, nor correct.

and by the way, resolution on screen is rated in PIXELS per inch (ppi),

not
dots (dpi), therefore you want your resolution set to 300ppi.

I'd ignore that statement. It is illogical as the two statements do
not belong in the same sentence. Just because you've added a
"therefore" does not make it true.

you're an idiot. digital images are rate at pixels per inch, not dots per
inch.

And I'll tell you why: the resolution of the monitor is usually about
72 to 96 ppi (divide the resolution you're running your monitor at by
the monitor's image area and you'll see).

moron. i never said anything about screen resolution.

So 300 ppi for a digital image has nothing to do with what the monitor
is displaying (unless you're designing web pages).

idiot. you missed my entire point. i'm surprised you know how to use a ng.

There's a much, much deeper reason for using 300 ppi for digital
images.

big fat dummy.

M77 January 2nd 04 12:14 AM

"stan" wrote in message ...
Hey J C what is the "deeper" reason for the 300 ppi for digital? I'm

seriously
behind the learning curve. Any help would be appreciated
Stan
Visual Arts Photography

photographic print resoltion should always be thought of as 300ppi. you
may be able to get away with less from an inkjet, but if you output with a
pro digital printer, you will see the loss of quality.

M77 January 2nd 04 12:15 AM

how to put the border around a headshot?

"Marc 182" wrote in message
t...
In article , says...
Hey J C what is the "deeper" reason for the 300 ppi for digital? I'm

seriously
behind the learning curve. Any help would be appreciated
Stan
Visual Arts Photography

You shouldn't top-post, that's for email.

actually, top posting should never be used.

M77 January 2nd 04 12:19 AM

"J C" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:16:36 -0700, Marc 182

As a simple example, lets take a one color laser printer and a one
color TIF file at 300 dpi (the explanation for inkjet printing is a
bit more complex).

what is dpi? i looked in photoshop and i couldn't find anything that said
dpi.

AND NOW to answer why a 300 dpi image is a standard...

holy crap you are a MORON. nobody is talking about press printing. we are
talking about PHOTOGRAPHIC resolution. you just typed a ton of garbage that
nobody asked to hear. one person asks what the 'deeper' meaning behind
300ppi was, and you go off on a psychotic rampage talking about press print
and printing with ONE color?????

M77 January 2nd 04 12:21 AM

"Marc 182" wrote in message

Note, I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I was talking about
photographic paper,

yes, and so was everybody else. he was the only idiot that started talking
about press printing.

J C January 2nd 04 06:01 PM

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:19:56 -0800, "M77" wrote:

holy crap you are a MORON. nobody is talking about press printing. we are
talking about PHOTOGRAPHIC resolution. you just typed a ton of garbage that
nobody asked to hear. one person asks what the 'deeper' meaning behind
300ppi was, and you go off on a psychotic rampage talking about press print
and printing with ONE color?????

That's because that's MUST be the starting point to understanding.

Here's why... what exactly do you think happens in the print engine
when you print your 300 ppi color image on an inkjet. Do you really
think that the inkjet produces a one-to-one correspondence between the
image information and the inkjet "dots" on the paper. It does not.
Your inkjet can break that down into 720 or 1440 dpi. So what exactly
do you think is happening?

Additionally, when you print on real photographic paper, do you think
that each there's a perfectly shaped grid of exposed chemicals on the
paper. There is not.

To understand, really understand, the recommendations for image
resolution you need to start with the basics and work your way up. The
digital resolution recommendations started a long time before there
even was such a thing as a desktop digital color printer. And there is
a reason for that... but if you don't want to know the reason that's
okay with me.

-- JC

Marc 182 January 3rd 04 08:34 AM

"Marc 182" wrote in message

Note, I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I was talking about
photographic paper,

yes, and so was everybody else. he was the only idiot that started talking
about press printing.

Quite the contrary, I read everything he wrote with interest. Idiot
would seem to be the last thing to describe him. Just because I don't
mag print doesn't mean I'm not interested in the details. He was on-
charter, on-topic, and maybe just a little off-point, ...but no, he was
on point too.

You shouldn't seek to speak for everyone else, just for yourself.

Marc

J C January 4th 04 06:40 AM

how to put the border around a headshot?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:34:18 -0700, Marc 182
wrote:

Quite the contrary, I read everything he wrote with interest. Idiot
would seem to be the last thing to describe him. Just because I don't
mag print doesn't mean I'm not interested in the details. He was on-
charter, on-topic, and maybe just a little off-point, ...but no, he was
on point too.

You shouldn't seek to speak for everyone else, just for yourself.

Marc

Thanks for the vote of confidence Marc.

People get really tied up in their personal explanations for the
rationale behind digital image resolutions and often don't see the
bigger picture that lead to the recommendations in the first place.

-- JC