PhotoBanter.com

-   Photographing Nature (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What kind of hawk is this? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=104909)

jaf[_3_] March 15th 09 09:48 PM

What kind of hawk is this?

Hi Joel,
Looks like a cooper's hawk.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou..._Hawk_dtl.html

John

"JoelH" wrote in message ...
Can someone tell me what kind of hawk this is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelmhoffman/3349387656/

Is it even a hawk?

Thanks.

-Joel

Allen[_3_] March 15th 09 09:57 PM

What kind of hawk is this?

"JoelH" wrote in message
Can someone tell me what kind of hawk this is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelmhoffman/3349387656/

Is it even a hawk?

Thanks.

-Joel

Definitely does look like a Cooper's. As the Cooper's has such a wide
range it doesn't apply in this case, but generally when asking for an ID
of a bird it helps to give where/when info. Incidentally, in Austin TX
we have what seems like a very large number of both Cooper's and
Red-tails nowadays. It is unusual to drive along our urban expressways
without seeing several, hanging around waiting for lunch to venture out.
Allen

tat 1973 May 27th 11 03:07 AM

Yah i agree it looks like a Cooper’s Hawks... But a nice and beautiful cooper hawks....