PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Noisy Canon 70-300 IS Zoom (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=83053)

BEK July 5th 07 06:22 PM

Noisy Canon 70-300 IS Zoom

I received this lens new on Tuesday and I find that the IS feature is
distractingly noisy at longer range. At 70mm it is much quieter. I also
have the Canon 17-85 IS and it is very quiet if not entirely silent.

Did I get a defective lens or do all 70-300 IS lenses behave in this manner?

Thanks for any input!

BEK

Bates[_2_] July 5th 07 06:42 PM

Noisy Canon 70-300 IS Zoom

On Jul 5, 1:22 pm, "BEK" wrote:
I received this lens new on Tuesday and I find that the IS feature is
distractingly noisy at longer range. At 70mm it is much quieter. I also
have the Canon 17-85 IS and it is very quiet if not entirely silent.

Did I get a defective lens or do all 70-300 IS lenses behave in this manner?

Thanks for any input!

BEK

Hi BEK,

I've go the same lens and I must say I've not noticed it being
exceptionally noisy, however, to be honest I've never used it in a
very quite place either. I do find it hunts quite a bit at 300 mm if
you are not in a well lit situation (I often end up going to MF) but
I've not noticed it being loud.

I'll test it out again tonight....

Bates.....

BEK July 5th 07 06:52 PM

Noisy Canon 70-300 IS Zoom

I've go the same lens and I must say I've not noticed it being
exceptionally noisy, however, to be honest I've never used it in a
very quite place either. I do find it hunts quite a bit at 300 mm if
you are not in a well lit situation (I often end up going to MF) but
I've not noticed it being loud.

I'll test it out again tonight....

Bates.....

The sound I'm hearing is definitely the IS and not the auto focus. If I
turn off IS, I don't hear the sound. It is a constant rapid clicking or
maybe grinding sound. Not sure how to describe it.

Thanks for your help.

BEK

Chris Gilbert July 5th 07 06:59 PM

Noisy Canon 70-300 IS Zoom

BEK wrote

Did I get a defective lens or do all 70-300 IS lenses behave in this
manner?

Mine whirrs too.

Chris

dwight July 5th 07 11:51 PM

Noisy Canon 70-300 IS Zoom

"BEK" wrote in message
I've go the same lens and I must say I've not noticed it being
exceptionally noisy, however, to be honest I've never used it in a
very quite place either. I do find it hunts quite a bit at 300 mm if
you are not in a well lit situation (I often end up going to MF) but
I've not noticed it being loud.

I'll test it out again tonight....

Bates.....

The sound I'm hearing is definitely the IS and not the auto focus. If I
turn off IS, I don't hear the sound. It is a constant rapid clicking or
maybe grinding sound. Not sure how to describe it.

Thanks for your help.

BEK

Yes, it's noisy alright. But I find it reassuring.

dwight
www.tfrog93.com