PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Film scanners? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=130280)

newshound April 15th 17 01:22 PM

Film scanners?

I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in the
"keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some myself
at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there anything
which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value for money or
ease of use?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Sandman April 15th 17 02:00 PM

Film scanners?

In article , newshound
wrote:

I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in
the "keen amateur" price bracket.

Hey, that's my bracket as well!

I use the Epson Perfection V750 Pro (now replaced with the 850 Pro) which
comes with inserts for 135 and 120 film as well as large format and slides.

Image quality is superb.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Scanners/...on-Perfection-
V850-Pro-Photo-Scanner/p/B11B224201

--
Sandman

Joe Makowiec April 15th 17 02:28 PM

Film scanners?

On 15 Apr 2017 in rec.photo.digital, newshound wrote:

I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in
the "keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some
myself at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there
anything which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value
for money or ease of use?

I've been using a Canoscan 9000 for the past couple of years. It's
under US$200, and seems to scan reasonably well. It's not terribly
convenient for bulk use - it can do 4 slides, or a dozen uncut
negatives at a time.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...-9000f-mark-ii

Software seems to be okay. My usual workflow is to scan to a
..tif and work on that in Lightroom or Photoshop. I found a roughly 3
decade old Ektachrome a couple of days ago that's been sitting in a
box for most of that time. Here's a scan using pretty much default
settings to Irfanview 64 and saved as a .png (Photobucket won't accept
TIFs). No other work done on it:

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...psutmdusvd.png

It's also portable enough to bring along in the car - fits
conveniently into one of the wheeled carry-on size bags, although
you'd probably want some extra padding - extra shirts, sweaters, etc.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

grant April 15th 17 03:07 PM

Film scanners?

I too use the Canoscan 9000. I also have a Nikon Coolscan iv ED, which
is a dedicated film and slide scanner capable of outstanding scans,
but I always go to the Canoscan. Easy to use, much faster, and the
scans are beautiful with very adequate resolution.

nospam April 15th 17 04:45 PM

Film scanners?

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in the
"keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some myself
at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there anything
which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value for money or
ease of use?

buy a used nikon coolscan, scan all of your film, then sell it when
you're done, as you won't be needing it anymore.

quality scanners hold their value, so you'll be able to sell it for
roughly what you paid for it (possibly even a bit more), making the
effective cost for the hardware close to zero (possibly a small
profit).

Neil[_9_] April 15th 17 07:16 PM

Film scanners?

On 4/15/2017 8:22 AM, newshound wrote:
I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in the
"keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some myself
at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there anything
which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value for money or
ease of use?

Thanks in advance

Steve

You've gotten a few good suggestions, so I'll just expand on some of
them and add something to consider. I would suggest giving up on the
notion of getting a feel for what results you might get if you were to
farm the work out to a pro. Professional hardware, skill and experience
can make a big difference in the results.

What do you want to do with the scans? If only to view on a computer
screen, there will be little to gain from high-resolution dedicated film
scanners. The flatbed type will be more than adequate and easier to use.

How much time do you want to spend? Dedicated film scanners such as the
Nikon CoolScan models are not quick.

--
best regards,

Neil

newshound April 15th 17 10:16 PM

Film scanners?

On 4/15/2017 7:16 PM, Neil wrote:
[...]

Thanks Neil and everyone else who replied.

I guess most of my stuff will only be suitable for viewing on a screen,
but I'd probably do some A4 or A3 prints of the best 1%. I recognise
that dedicated scanners are not quick (I have used one in the past), it
sounds as though I should consider a flat-bed for speed. Very useful to
have some specific recommendations.

Eric Stevens April 15th 17 11:03 PM

Film scanners?

On 15 Apr 2017 13:00:12 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , newshound
wrote:

I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in
the "keen amateur" price bracket.

Hey, that's my bracket as well!

I use the Epson Perfection V750 Pro (now replaced with the 850 Pro) which
comes with inserts for 135 and 120 film as well as large format and slides.

Image quality is superb.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Scanners/...on-Perfection-
V850-Pro-Photo-Scanner/p/B11B224201

I have used an Epson V700 for years. This is basically the same as a
V750 but with a few less bells and whistles. I have scanned hundreds
(thousands?) of old films and slides and found it has done a better
than excellent job. It came with extensive software which enables
major corrections to be made at the scanning level. Highly
recommended.

Eric Stevens

nospam April 16th 17 12:35 AM

Film scanners?

In article ,
RichA wrote:

I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in the
"keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some myself
at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there anything
which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value for money or
ease of use?

Get a film holder and use a DSLR or other 10+ megapixel camera.

another option, but not a very good one, particularly for negatives.

Film scanning is dead.

film is dead.

Davoud April 16th 17 01:24 AM

Film scanners?

newshound:
I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in the
"keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some myself
at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there anything
which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value for money or
ease of use?

Get past that DIY urge. This is backbreaking, mind-numbing labour.
http://www.scanmyphotos.com/ or equivalent in your neighbourhood.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm