PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Thumbnail orientation (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=42789)

Terry Pinnell March 21st 05 05:50 PM

Thumbnail orientation

Occasionally I'm puzzled by inconsistencies in the orientation of
thumbnails. Here's an example for one particular photo:

Browsed in Thumbnail Displayed when opened
---------- --------- ---------------------
Thumbs Plus Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
IrfanView Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
PaintShop Pro Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
EXIFer Incorrect (Land.) Correct (portrait)

Can someone explain why that variation might arise please?

(Note: I use the word 'correct' above, but I suppose 'as expected' or
'intuitively correct' would be more accurate.)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Pete March 21st 05 05:54 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:50:49 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

Occasionally I'm puzzled by inconsistencies in the orientation of
thumbnails. Here's an example for one particular photo:

Browsed in Thumbnail Displayed when opened
---------- --------- ---------------------
Thumbs Plus Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
IrfanView Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
PaintShop Pro Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
EXIFer Incorrect (Land.) Correct (portrait)

Can someone explain why that variation might arise please?

(Note: I use the word 'correct' above, but I suppose 'as expected' or
'intuitively correct' would be more accurate.)

I suspect this is due to the EXIF orientation tag in the file (assuming
it's a JPEG). When you rotate an image in some cameras, they don't actually
rotate the image; instead they set this tag to indicate that the image
should be rotated when displayed. How (or whether) different programs deal
with this can vary.

Pete