PhotoBanter.com

-   Large Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Information sources on negative retouching (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=98638)

Carl Wegerer June 5th 08 01:08 AM

Information sources on negative retouching

I am fan of the work of George Hurrell.

I was able to contact Mark Vieira, his former assistant and author, who
stated the only way to recreate his style is incadescent lighting, large
format and negative retouching. I use Mole Richardson lights and a Wisner
4x5 camera, but know nothing about negative retouching. I am looking for
sources of information.

Thank you for your time.

Carl Wegerer, III
Mesquite, TX USA

Philip Tobias June 9th 08 03:38 AM

Carl Wegerer wrote:
I am fan of the work of George Hurrell.

I was able to contact Mark Vieira, his former assistant and author, who
stated the only way to recreate his style is incadescent lighting, large
format and negative retouching. I use Mole Richardson lights and a Wisner
4x5 camera, but know nothing about negative retouching. I am looking for
sources of information.

Hi, Carl. I always liked George Hurrell's old Hollywood portrait style, too.

For negative retouching information, you might try searching for
"retouching book" on eBay or Amazon.com. Eastman Kodak used to have some
books on this subject, as did Kitty West, and others.

The Adams Retouching Machine used to be manufactured down the street
from me in Denver. Searching for that should return some message threads
about retouching.

Although I hand retouched thousands of customer prints with dyes,
sprays, and pencils, I used to hire out all my negative retouching. In
this day and age, I'd prefer to retouch in Photoshop.

But it might be a fun craft to learn for fine art's sake, if not for the
history. Have fun. ...pt

--
Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -