PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital Point & Shoot Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Maximum tele length you can shoot handheld? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=84508)

Jay B August 14th 07 04:36 PM

Maximum tele length you can shoot handheld?

On Aug 12, 10:25 pm, RPS wrote:
What is the maximum telephoto length you would be comfortable shooting
handheld, with IS as well as steadying your arm with elbow on a railing
etc, but no tripod? Thanks.

I've seen people pull off successful grab shots with a 500mm f/4 L IS
but this was on cloudless days around noon at airshows where they've
probably got -2/3 to -1EV cranked in for even one less stop of shutter
speed available.

Julien BH August 14th 07 04:51 PM

On Aug 13, 4:19 am, D. Farmington wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:25:13 GMT, RPS wrote:
What is the maximum telephoto length you would be comfortable shooting
handheld, with IS as well as steadying your arm with elbow on a railing
etc, but no tripod? Thanks.

With no IS, no support, ~350mm (35mm equivalents)
With no IS, bracing on a steady object, ~350-750mm
With IS, no support, ~500mm up to 1-second shutter speed.
With IS, with support, 500mm

I doubt you will find that being anywhere near the norm for the vast majority of
people that hold a long-FL-lens equipped camera.

I should put up a web-page on the art and techniques that I invented over the
years of successful handheld photography. By using my own methods I found that I
can do tack-sharp handheld shots, no support, with an IS equipped camera, a
432mm (eq.) focal-length lens, at full 1 second exposures.

But then if you all could do what I can do I'd have too much competition in the
variety and quality of photos I can get. It's bad enough that the last person
under my guidance started getting a few rare shots nicer than my own, resulting
in an inner conflict of pride and envy for them.

Envy will kill you