PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Leica's opinion of the D800 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=124520)

Me September 27th 12 10:38 AM

Leica's opinion of the D800

On 27/09/2012 11:08 a.m., RichA wrote:
On Sep 26, 1:54 pm, Bruce wrote:
RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/622...012-interview-...

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he.

I'm not sure that 37.5 MP from a CCD sensor that is noisy at anything
over ISO 400 can ever be considered a huge step up over 36 MP from a
CMOS sensor that doesn't get noisy until ISO 1600.

There is also the issue of cost, because you could buy SIX D800 bodies
for the cost of the Leica S body. In fact you could buy a whole D800
outfit for the cost of the Leica S body.

The S series lenses are also extremely expensive. Alas, Leica is
aiming squarely at a market of wealthier people whereas Nikon is
aiming at photographers who tend not to be wealthy.

Different levels of wealth. A $20k camera with $7k lenses is aimed at
the wealthy. A $3000 camera that needs $2000 lenses to maximize its
capabilities isn't aimed at the middle class either.

I wonder what the result might be if Nikon (or Canon or any other maker)
decided that there was a market for a 55mm f2 lens (equivalent to
Leica's "midium" format 70mm f2.5 "standard lens") and which could have
a market at a MSRP of $5,000.

Trevor[_2_] September 28th 12 03:48 AM

Leica's opinion of the D800

"Me" wrote in message
I wonder what the result might be if Nikon (or Canon or any other maker)
decided that there was a market for a 55mm f2 lens (equivalent to Leica's
"midium" format 70mm f2.5 "standard lens") and which could have a market
at a MSRP of $5,000.

Insufficient sales to cover the development costs perhaps?

Trevor.

Rich[_6_] September 28th 12 06:09 AM

Leica's opinion of the D800

"Trevor" wrote in :

"Me" wrote in message
I wonder what the result might be if Nikon (or Canon or any other
maker) decided that there was a market for a 55mm f2 lens (equivalent
to Leica's "midium" format 70mm f2.5 "standard lens") and which could
have a market at a MSRP of $5,000.

Insufficient sales to cover the development costs perhaps?

Trevor.

I don't know how Leica did selling the S2, but it must have a solid
profit built-in at the prices its components cost.

Trevor[_2_] September 28th 12 07:41 AM

Leica's opinion of the D800

"Rich" wrote in message
"Me" wrote in message
I wonder what the result might be if Nikon (or Canon or any other
maker) decided that there was a market for a 55mm f2 lens (equivalent
to Leica's "midium" format 70mm f2.5 "standard lens") and which could
have a market at a MSRP of $5,000.

Insufficient sales to cover the development costs perhaps?

I don't know how Leica did selling the S2, but it must have a solid
profit built-in at the prices its components cost.

It's the old story, sell lots of items at a modest profit per item, or sell
a small number of items at a large profit per item.
You need a loyal customer base with more money than sense to make the latter
work.
What you *don't* want is to sell a small number of items at a loss per item
(after expenses), regardless of the actual selling price!

Trevor.

Eric Stevens September 28th 12 09:44 AM

Leica's opinion of the D800

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 16:41:13 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:

"Rich" wrote in message
"Me" wrote in message
I wonder what the result might be if Nikon (or Canon or any other
maker) decided that there was a market for a 55mm f2 lens (equivalent
to Leica's "midium" format 70mm f2.5 "standard lens") and which could
have a market at a MSRP of $5,000.

Insufficient sales to cover the development costs perhaps?

I don't know how Leica did selling the S2, but it must have a solid
profit built-in at the prices its components cost.

It's the old story, sell lots of items at a modest profit per item, or sell
a small number of items at a large profit per item.
You need a loyal customer base with more money than sense to make the latter
work.
What you *don't* want is to sell a small number of items at a loss per item
(after expenses), regardless of the actual selling price!

It's better than selling a large number of items at a loss per item.

Eric Stevens

Trevor[_2_] September 29th 12 02:33 AM

Leica's opinion of the D800

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
What you *don't* want is to sell a small number of items at a loss per
item
(after expenses), regardless of the actual selling price!

It's better than selling a large number of items at a loss per item.

True, but not many companies can manage that for long, and even less would
want to!

Trevor.

Trevor[_2_] September 29th 12 02:28 PM

Leica's opinion of the D800

"John A." wrote in message
It's the old story, sell lots of items at a modest profit per item, or
sell
a small number of items at a large profit per item.
You need a loyal customer base with more money than sense to make the
latter
work.
What you *don't* want is to sell a small number of items at a loss per
item
(after expenses), regardless of the actual selling price!

Unless it's a "loss-leader" that brings in customers to buy your more
profitable items.

"Loss leaders" are often in name only, they are often sold at a profit, just
a vastly reduced one from the normal profit.
Of course while companies dont "want" to make a loss on anything, sometimes
they do, a successful business avoids that as much as possible. The idea is
for your profitable items to bring in the customers.

Trevor.