PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Nikon D70 issues/questions Vs. Canon (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=49934)

DD (Rox) October 14th 05 06:22 AM

Nikon D70 issues/questions Vs. Canon

In article , says...
In article , Rox
wrote:

Yep, too much disposable income. I once had a chat to a guy I saw
brandishing an F5 with a crappy Sigma lens on it. I wanted to know what
he thought of the camera and he prattled on about how it took the best
photos he ever saw. Sounds like another guy we know who owns an EOS1v.

Heh, heh. You know who the best retail customers are (or were)?
DENTISTS. When I had my camera stores, the dentists who came in were
incredible hardware junkies. One guy wanted to own - and nearly did -
the entire Nikon catalog. I mean, stupid stuff like Nikon-brand,
darkroom-only bulk film loaders. I know EXACTLY the people you're
talking about!

Funny you should say that, I know two dentists who are hectically
involved in photographic equipment! Actually one's an orthodontist, but
I suppose it's the same sort of thing...

--
DD (everything is temporary)
www.dallasdahms.com

Richard H. October 14th 05 06:39 AM

DD (Rox) wrote:
Heh, heh. You know who the best retail customers are (or were)?
DENTISTS. When I had my camera stores, the dentists who came in were
incredible hardware junkies. One guy wanted to own - and nearly did -
the entire Nikon catalog. I mean, stupid stuff like Nikon-brand,
darkroom-only bulk film loaders. I know EXACTLY the people you're
talking about!

Funny you should say that, I know two dentists who are hectically
involved in photographic equipment! Actually one's an orthodontist, but
I suppose it's the same sort of thing...

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

Skip M October 14th 05 02:00 PM

Nikon D70 issues/questions Vs. Canon

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message
In article , says...
In article , Rox
wrote:

[...]

Hmm, my dentist is into motorcycles. Owns 3 of them. Only moderately
interested in photography, not sure he's not just making small talk...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Scott Schuckert October 14th 05 02:30 PM

Nikon D70 issues/questions Vs. Canon

In article JvH3f.5830$MN6.2949@fed1read04, Richard H.
wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

Paul Bielec October 14th 05 02:45 PM

wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

Maybe they're into Nikon because they're actually using it ;-)

William Graham October 15th 05 12:32 AM

"Scott Schuckert" wrote in message
Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

Well, Nikon has marketed a lens and flash that are dedicated to dental
photography......I don't know whether Leica has done this or not.......

Rich October 15th 05 03:28 AM

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:39:04 -0700, "Richard H." wrote:

DD (Rox) wrote:
Heh, heh. You know who the best retail customers are (or were)?
DENTISTS. When I had my camera stores, the dentists who came in were
incredible hardware junkies. One guy wanted to own - and nearly did -
the entire Nikon catalog. I mean, stupid stuff like Nikon-brand,
darkroom-only bulk film loaders. I know EXACTLY the people you're
talking about!

Funny you should say that, I know two dentists who are hectically
involved in photographic equipment! Actually one's an orthodontist, but
I suppose it's the same sort of thing...

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

It's not because they're dentists.
-Rich

ian lincoln October 16th 05 06:00 PM

wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

I have a sneaking suspicion americans pay a lot in dental fees.

ian lincoln October 16th 05 06:01 PM

DD (Rox) wrote:
[...]

I can imagine someone skilled in dental photography find their skills
transfer quite well to porn photos.

Robert C. October 16th 05 07:15 PM

Nikon D70 issues/questions Vs. Canon

k...

wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

I have a sneaking suspicion americans pay a lot in dental fees.

Your suspicion is correct. I know not for the USA, but at least in Canada,
dentistry is not part of our so called "universal health care" and believe
me, it costs an arm and a leg.