PhotoBanter.com

-   -   SDHC card slower than SD? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72940)

Pierre November 18th 06 04:36 PM

SDHC card slower than SD?

Got a Canon G7, and am using 2 memory cards.
a 4 GB SDHC and a 256M SD.

After taking a shot using the larger capacity SDHC card, it's at least
3+ seconds for the camera to process the shot, and ready itself for the
next shot.

The 256M SD card, is just over a one second to perform the same
operation.

Is this normal, perhaps due to the larger capacity? Both were
formatted in the camera.

TIA for any thoughts.
Pierre

Joan November 18th 06 10:14 PM

SDHC card slower than SD?

Are both cards freshly formatted in the camera when you start your
testing?

--
Joan

ups.com...
:

Pete D November 18th 06 11:10 PM

SDHC card slower than SD?

Even if they weren't done "freshly" I can't see it making that much
difference, seems a lot of extra time to me! I am surprised that you cannot
take a second shot faster even with the 256Mb card.

"Joan" wrote in message
Are both cards freshly formatted in the camera when you start your
testing?

--
Joan

ups.com...

Joan November 18th 06 11:22 PM

SDHC card slower than SD?

Maybe the G7 can't handle the 4GB card. Maybe there was already 2GB
of data on it. My question stands and awaits an answer.

--
Joan

"Pete D" wrote in message
: Even if they weren't done "freshly" I can't see it making that much
: difference, seems a lot of extra time to me! I am surprised that you
cannot
: take a second shot faster even with the 256Mb card.
:
: ...

Pierre November 20th 06 05:19 PM

SDHC card slower than SD?

Joan wrote:
Maybe the G7 can't handle the 4GB card. Maybe there was already 2GB
of data on it. My question stands and awaits an answer.

Joan. Both cards were empty and freshly formatted in the camera.

The G7's specs allows for a 4MB SDHC. It reads and writes well to the
card, albeit a bit slower on the 4GB card. I was looking to understand
if this is normal for the cards to behave like that.

Pierre

John Bean November 20th 06 05:44 PM

SDHC card slower than SD?

On 20 Nov 2006 09:19:10 -0800, "Pierre"
wrote:
The G7's specs allows for a 4MB SDHC. It reads and writes well to the
card, albeit a bit slower on the 4GB card. I was looking to understand
if this is normal for the cards to behave like that.

I doubt it's anything to do with SDHC (though it could be a
factor) but I think the main cause of the slowdown is that
the 4GB card is formatted FAT32 which in my experience is
much slower than FAT16 when used in consumer cameras.

--
John Bean