PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital Point & Shoot Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Infrared photography (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=101403)

DaveC September 25th 08 03:44 PM

Infrared photography

I want to photograph and video in infrared mode.

I understand that some point-and-shoot cameras provide this style of
photography/videography. Alternately, some people have "hacked" a camera by
removing the IR filter from in front of the imaging element. There are
instructions on-line to DIY this, or to send in your P&S to have it done.

Basically, the IR filter is removed and replaced with another (not a
procedure for the faint at heart). The replacement filter is $$$.

My question is this: is this replacement filter that passes rather than
blocks IR available as a gelatin or other commonly available filter that I
can source elsewhere other than from these camera-mod services?

Or can I just strip off the existing filter and not replace it with anything?
I'm looking for quantitative data (the existence of IR) not qualitative data
(a pretty picture). What function does the replacement filter provide (other
than passing IR data)?

To clarify, I want to "see" IR images real-time in the viewfinder, not
post-process the image data to reveal the IR.

If there's another forum you suggest I should ask this question in, please
let me know.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Eric Miller September 25th 08 04:15 PM

Infrared photography

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

I don't know much about most of this, but it seems that once you remove the
IR filter from the sensor, you could just attach an appropriate IR filter to
the front of the lens. Of course, you would need the appropriate filter for
each of the lenses that you use.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Jürgen Exner September 25th 08 04:25 PM

Infrared photography

DaveC wrote:
I'm looking for quantitative data (the existence of IR) not qualitative data
(a pretty picture).

Isn't that the other way round?
Qualitative meaning just yes/no while quantitative in addition tells you
how much, e.g. darker or lighter on a b/w IR-image or
blue/green/yellow/red/white on a color IR-image?

jue

DaveC September 25th 08 04:58 PM

Infrared photography

Isn't that the other way round?
Qualitative meaning just yes/no while quantitative in addition tells you
how much, e.g. darker or lighter on a b/w IR-image or
blue/green/yellow/red/white on a color IR-image?

jue

Quantitative: does it exist? do we have presence or absence? 0 or 0?

Qualitative: what are its qualities?

But to define in other terms, I want images that show the existence of IR
wavelengths. If it's not a pretty picture, that's OK.

Please let's not detour into this realm. Those who want to discuss
quantitative vs. qualitative please start another thread...

Thanks,

bino September 25th 08 05:44 PM

Infrared photography

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

The problem is that you won't see an IR picture per se, as the image
requires post processing to be anything but a dark red image. If your
camera has a B&W mode, that would be helpful, but the image will still
require post processing.

Whiskers September 25th 08 05:47 PM

Infrared photography

On 2008-09-25, DaveC wrote:
[...]

Most digital cameras have some infra-red sensitivity left in - the
internal infra-red filters are there to stop most infra-red from getting
to the sensors, as it blurs the image (apart from anything else). The
infra-red filters sold to go in front of the camera lens do the opposite -
the stop most or all of the visible light but not the infra-red, so that
you can take pictures using only the IR. but because the intermal filter
blocks most of the IR, you need a long exposure (or an uncomfortable
amount of IR) to get any image at all.

It is possible to remove the internal IR-blocking filter from some digital
cameras (but probaly not compacts - the lens/sensor assembly in those is
ususally a non-servicable sealed module); usually you would then need to
replace it with an element having the same optical qualities in the
visible spectrum as the original IR-blocking filter had, or the resulting
images won't be usable. With such a camera, to get images using only the
IR spectrum, you'll need a filter in front of the lens to block the
visible light. All IR images from such a camera are likely to be more or
less blurred.

There are of course purpose-built thermal-imaging cameras, and IR 'remote
thermometers'. Some 'night vision' devices operate using 'passive IR'.
Oddly, these seem to tend towards the 'stupidly expensive' end of the
price spectrum, being targeted at the armed forces and emergency services,
or for industrial or medical uses.

This site might be useful
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#CAMERA.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Jürgen Exner September 25th 08 06:23 PM

OT: qualitative/quantitative (WAS: Infrared photography)

DaveC wrote:
Isn't that the other way round?
Qualitative meaning just yes/no while quantitative in addition tells you
how much, e.g. darker or lighter on a b/w IR-image or
blue/green/yellow/red/white on a color IR-image?

Quantitative: does it exist? do we have presence or absence? 0 or 0?
Qualitative: what are its qualities?

That is opposite to what I learned in science, especially in chemistry.

There a qualitative analysis tells you _which_ components are present in
a sample (yes/no).
And a quantitative analysis tells you _how much_ (what quantity) of each
component can be found.

Wikipedia seems to support this view:
"A quantitative attribute is one that exists in a range of magnitudes,
and can therefore be measured. Measurements of any particular
quantitative property are expressed as a specific quantity, referred to
as a unit, multiplied by a number. Examples of physical quantities are
distance, mass, and time."

Please let's not detour into this realm. Those who want to discuss
quantitative vs. qualitative please start another thread...

Ooops :-). "Subject" adjusted as requested.

jue

nospam September 25th 08 09:31 PM

Infrared photography

In article .net,
DaveC wrote:

I want to photograph and video in infrared mode.

I understand that some point-and-shoot cameras provide this style of
photography/videography. Alternately, some people have "hacked" a camera by
removing the IR filter from in front of the imaging element. There are
instructions on-line to DIY this, or to send in your P&S to have it done.

Basically, the IR filter is removed and replaced with another (not a
procedure for the faint at heart). The replacement filter is $$$.

yea, and the price has dramatically increased in the past year or so.

My question is this: is this replacement filter that passes rather than
blocks IR available as a gelatin or other commonly available filter that I
can source elsewhere other than from these camera-mod services?

sure. generally it's 2mm thick optical glass that's typically a 2" or
3" square piece and you'll need to cut it to fit the camera.

Or can I just strip off the existing filter and not replace it with anything?
I'm looking for quantitative data (the existence of IR) not qualitative data
(a pretty picture). What function does the replacement filter provide (other
than passing IR data)?

you can, but the focusing might be adversely affected.

To clarify, I want to "see" IR images real-time in the viewfinder, not
post-process the image data to reveal the IR.

that's exactly what you'll get.

nospam September 25th 08 09:31 PM

Infrared photography

In article
,
Pat wrote:

The other option is to just buy the right camera, something like the
old Canon EOS 20Da. The "a" designates it as a astronomy camera and
it doesn't have the filter. I think it's been discontinued but you
can probably find one if you sniff around.

or the fuji uv/ir camera

If you go IR, you might also want to buy an older lens. Some of the
older ones had an IR mark on the focus ring so you could adjust the IR
focus (which isn't the same as the visible light focus).

that helps too

bino September 25th 08 10:46 PM

Infrared photography

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , bino
wrote:

The problem is that you won't see an IR picture per se, as the image
requires post processing to be anything but a dark red image. If your
camera has a B&W mode, that would be helpful, but the image will still
require post processing.

false.

You got some facts jackass? Experience? I've shot IR film and IR digital.
The red filter makes the color sensor see red. Period.

nospam September 25th 08 11:12 PM

Infrared photography

In article , bino
wrote:

The problem is that you won't see an IR picture per se, as the image
requires post processing to be anything but a dark red image. If your
camera has a B&W mode, that would be helpful, but the image will still
require post processing.

false.

You got some facts jackass? Experience? I've shot IR film and IR digital.
The red filter makes the color sensor see red. Period.

except that the blue pixels also pass infrared light and depending on
the camera, the white balance, the strength of the infrared filter and
the raw processing, the results can be virtually anything.

i've used a couple of digital cameras for infrared and modified one of
them myself. none of them produce red images out of the camera. on
the camera's lcd screen and the jpegs they produce, the result is b/w.

if anything, there's a mild greenish cast, perhaps because the camera
is boosting green due to the weak response of the green pixels with
infrared light. the very same image when shot raw and processed via
adobe camera raw has an entirely different appearance than with nikon
or canon's software.

saying that it will always be red is simply false.

[email protected] September 26th 08 05:27 AM

Infrared photography

In rec.photo.digital bino wrote:
| "nospam" wrote in message
| In article , bino
| wrote:
|
| The problem is that you won't see an IR picture per se, as the image
| requires post processing to be anything but a dark red image. If your
| camera has a B&W mode, that would be helpful, but the image will still
| require post processing.
|
| false.
|

| You got some facts jackass? Experience? I've shot IR film and IR digital.
| The red filter makes the color sensor see red. Period.

Who said anything about a red filter ... in this thread?

Actually, I would recommend a IR-passing filter (e.g. type 89) on the lens
after the IR-blocking filter is removed. The sensor (with a replacement
all-passing filter to keep the optics consistent) will pick up IR in other
colors. This is because the color separation of the sensor is not designed
to discriminate IR (and hence why an IR-blocking filter needs to be added
in the normal case). The red channel will get the most IR. The blue channel
will get a lot. The green channel will get some. And these will vary by
what IR wavelength is involved. So you will get some false color effects.
Directly viewing the image on the camera screen will give some funny reddish
colors for sure. Post processing can then give you the effets you want if
you were using the correct lens-front filter to begin with (type 29 for some
effects, type 89 for others, and type 87 for yet others). In some cases the
desired effect is achieved by making everything monochrome. In other cases
the desired affect is a color product derived from adding or subtracting the
various color channels. Additionally, multiple shooting of a stationary
subject with different lens-front filters (the above plus 25, 23, 15, 12, and
none at all) can give you multi-channel info to even be able to derive the
original visual image unaffected by infrared (with the correct formula).

[email protected] September 26th 08 05:40 AM

Infrared photography

In rec.photo.digital Pat wrote:

| There are some good step-by-step instruction out there for removing
| the filter. You can leave the filter off, but IIRC you need to
| replace it with small shims to keep everything in place.
|
| If you use a IR filter, you then have to have extraordinary long
| exposures because you still have the IR filter in place taking out
| most of the IR.
|
| The other option is to just buy the right camera, something like the
| old Canon EOS 20Da. The "a" designates it as a astronomy camera and
| it doesn't have the filter. I think it's been discontinued but you
| can probably find one if you sniff around.
|
| If you go IR, you might also want to buy an older lens. Some of the
| older ones had an IR mark on the focus ring so you could adjust the IR
| focus (which isn't the same as the visible light focus).

Or you can pay someone else to do the conversion for you:

http://www.lifepixel.com/
http://www.spencerscamera.com/

DaveC September 26th 08 06:04 AM

Infrared photography

sure. generally it's 2mm thick optical glass that's typically a 2" or
3" square piece and you'll need to cut it to fit the camera.

Seems straightforward (notice the absence of the term "simple").

Can you give a URL for such a piece?

The proper thickness of the replacement glass should be...? Should it be the
same thickness as the filter removed from the imager?

Thanks,

Eric Stevens September 26th 08 06:11 AM

Infrared photography

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:44:25 -0700, DaveC wrote:

[...]

You could try picking up a Sony F707 or others of that ilk. If my
memory serves me right they do have IR capabilities.

Eric Stevens

nospam September 26th 08 06:57 AM

Infrared photography

In article .net,
DaveC wrote:

sure. generally it's 2mm thick optical glass that's typically a 2" or
3" square piece and you'll need to cut it to fit the camera.

Seems straightforward (notice the absence of the term "simple").

if you know how to cut glass it should be fairly easy. however, opening
up the camera to replace the filter is usually not easy at all.

Can you give a URL for such a piece?

here's a few:
http://www.alpineastro.com/filters/filters.htm
http://www.controloptics.com/product_colorglassfilters.htm
http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...cfm?productID=
1918

The proper thickness of the replacement glass should be...? Should it be the
same thickness as the filter removed from the imager?

it should. if it's not that close, you might lose either infinity
focus or close-up focus, but stopping down should compensate for that.
depending on the camera, the autofocus might need adjusting.

the other problem is the only way to know how thick a filter to get is
open up the camera and measure it. it varies depending on the camera,
and sometimes it varies with the *same* camera, depending on the
revision. i've also heard of using microscope slides to match the
thickness.

carlislestamford September 26th 08 10:29 AM

Infrared photography

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:11:35 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

[...]

Correct, the Sony F707, F717, F818, H3(?), and H9 all have this capability, and
they all do it very well. Real-time hand-held IR photography and videos are a
feature of all of them. No need to hack or alter any camera, just flip a switch
to their "Night-Shot" mode.

According to my add-on lenses and things, I would have to go with a 62mm filter
size to make it the most adaptable to the most situations (including for use
with my 35mm film gear). When looking at IR filters I was shocked at the prices
so I went in search of an affordable alternative.

The Kodak Wratten Gel Filters come in 3"x3" sizes. I could cut one of those up
into a circle and put it inside of an inexpensive filter-ring holder. But
they're prone to water-damage, humidity, etc. And they're still about $25-$30
depending where you get them, that's probably not worth the hassle and care for
the few dollars savings.

Then I found some 3"x3", Lee Polyester IR filters at B&H for only $14. Durable,
worth the cost for an experiment. I didn't want near-infrared, I wanted infrared
only, so I opted to go with the Wratten #87. $14 for the filter, and $10-$15 for
a cheap skylight filter (to dismantle for the mount, I couldn't find a source of
empty filter-ring holders), and I'd be good to go for under $30. If you have an
old filter that you can dismantle for the filter-ring, more power to you, then
you can get into IR photography for only $14.

Here's those Lee filters at B&H Photo & Video if anyone else wants to go this
route:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh4.sph/...=F 5261AD1470

Normally a decent IR filter of the size needed can run you upwards of $70-$130,
you can see the kind of savings attained by doing it this way.

A problem with all these Sony cameras is that Sony stupidly listened to some
sexually-insecure puritanical idiots at one point and crippled the shutter
speeds and apertures that may be used in their Night-Shot mode. They were
concerned that some people were using them to shoot through certain swim-wear
fabrics at the beach, fabrics transparent to IR. For daylight IR photography you
have to lower the IR levels to those required for shooting in the dark. I
experimented and found out that a Wratten Green filter (for b/w photography)
lowered the levels just right. I found an inexpensive Hoya G (XI). In total you
are using a two filter stack, IR + Wratten Green.

One other thing, you have to make a rubber gasket to cover up Sony's own IR
emitters in the lens housing, that the camera uses to take photos in complete
darkness. Otherwise the IR from those bounces off the back of the filter stack
and into your lens, ruining your shots with nasty light reflection artifacts in
the glass layers.

Here's a quick sample of a hand-held daylight IR shot from one of these cameras

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/...e6058929_o.jpg

Don Stauffer September 26th 08 03:02 PM

Infrared photography

DaveC wrote:
[...]

You will not SEE the IR regardless of whether the filter allows a live
preview.

A filter only allows or blocks a given wavelength- it does not CONVERT
it from one wavelength to another.

In effect, the digital camera does a conversion, but provides three
channels of color info. The read channel does not maintain spectral
information. All reds are the same. What the result is is a "false
color" picture. You are not viewing real infrared radiation when you
view a print or a viewfinder image taken with an IR-enabled camera.

DaveC September 26th 08 03:31 PM

Infrared photography

You are not viewing real infrared radiation when you
view a print or a viewfinder image taken with an IR-enabled camera.

Ah, yes, of course you're correct.

Isn't language a trip-up? "No, you misunderstood what I meant to say"... :-)

Thanks,

DaveC September 26th 08 03:45 PM

Infrared photography

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/...e6058929_o.jpg

CS,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm unclear whether you hacked your camera. Did you remove the IR filter from
the image sensor? Or did you just add IR filters to your lens?

Thanks,

Dave Platt September 26th 08 03:51 PM

Infrared photography

In article .net,
DaveC wrote:

Seems straightforward (notice the absence of the term "simple").

Can you give a URL for such a piece?

The proper thickness of the replacement glass should be...? Should it be the
same thickness as the filter removed from the imager?

Edmund Optics (the "pro" side of Edmund Scientific) was a recommended
source for this sort of optical glass, in one article I read on a P&S
IR conversion. http://www.edmundoptics.com/

Yes, you want a piece that is as thick as the "hot mirror" filter that
you are removing from the camera's existing optical path.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

James Silverton September 26th 08 05:20 PM

Infrared photography

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

In article .net,
DaveC wrote:

Seems straightforward (notice the absence of the term "simple").

Can you give a URL for such a piece?

The proper thickness of the replacement glass should be...? Should
it be the same thickness as the filter removed from the imager?

Edmund Optics (the "pro" side of Edmund Scientific) was a recommended
source for this sort of optical glass, in one article I read on a P&S
IR conversion. http://www.edmundoptics.com/

Yes, you want a piece that is as thick as the "hot mirror" filter that
you are removing from the camera's existing optical path.

I haven't got the nerve (or ability, probably) to perform surgery on a
camera but how expensive a camera do you need for IR photography? I have
been impressed by the artistic quality of many IR photographs but not
their sharpness and those were taken with conventional film cameras.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Dave Platt September 26th 08 06:37 PM

Infrared photography

In article ,
James Silverton not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not wrote:

I haven't got the nerve (or ability, probably) to perform surgery on a
camera but how expensive a camera do you need for IR photography? I have
been impressed by the artistic quality of many IR photographs but not
their sharpness and those were taken with conventional film cameras.

I've successfully taken some interesting-looking IR photos using
inexpensive Nikon Coolpix cameras - specifically, the Coolpix 800 and
Coolpix 950. These use a 2.1-megapixel sensor (made by Sony I believe)
which has a less-than-efficient hot mirror... enough near-IR comes
through to allow IR photos to be taken in daylight with an exposure in
the 1/8- second range, as long as an IR-pass/visible-light-blocking
filter is added to the lens. I bought these cameras last year via
eBay auctions... around $25 for an 800 and around $45 for a 950, if I
recall properly.

I homebrewed a simple IR-pass filter as a "proof of concept", before
buying a good one. The simplest approach is to use several layers of
exposed photographic film. Another approach is to go to a plastic
store, and buy a scrap piece of black acrylic plastic sheet... this
stuff is made with a dye that passes a reasonable amount of IR. In
either case, the plastic or exposed photographic film can be mounted
to the front of a piece of opaque plastic tubing, which can then be
slid over the front of the camera lens assembly.

Better quality can be achieved with a purpose-made IR filter... the
Hoya RM-72 is the usual suspect. These filters pass more IR than the
simple homebrew type, I think.

Removing the hot filter from a camera of this sort, and replacing it
with clear glass would greatly increase the IR sensitivity and allow
for much shorter exposures (you'd still need an RM-72 or similar).
Removing the hot filter, and replacing it with a piece of IR-pass
filter glass would convert the camera to a high-sensitivity IR-only
camera... which is what several commercial camera shops can do for
you, for a significant fee.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Whiskers September 26th 08 07:01 PM

Infrared photography

On 2008-09-26, James Silverton wrote:

[...]

I haven't got the nerve (or ability, probably) to perform surgery on a
camera but how expensive a camera do you need for IR photography? I have
been impressed by the artistic quality of many IR photographs but not
their sharpness and those were taken with conventional film cameras.

IR rays come to a focus further from the lens than visible rays do, so
after visually focusing you need to adjust the distance setting on the
lens to compensate for the difference [1]. But if your IR-passing filter
isn't restricted to a narrow waveband, there will still be some IR rays
with much longer wavelength than others getting through to the
film/sensor and they won't all be focused at a single point. Normal
camera lenses are designed to overcome this 'chromatic aberration' for
visible wavelengths, but they don't do it for UV or IR. So IR pictures
are seldom as sharp as those the same equipment can make using only
visible light. Using a small aperture can help a little - at the cost
of a longer exposure, of course.

[1] Some lenses have an IR focus index as well as the visible-light one;
after focusing visually, move the focusing ring so that the distance next
to the usual focus index is next to the IR one instead. If there isn't an
IR index, use the 'closer' depth of field indicator for f/5.6. Of course
with an auto-focus-only or fixed-focus compact camera, you're stuck with
what the camera does, which will be 'wrong' - but the large 'depth of
field' that goes with a tiny sensor might offset the problem somewhat.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

carlislestamford September 26th 08 07:02 PM

Infrared photography

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:45:14 -0700, DaveC wrote:

I'm unclear whether you hacked your camera. Did you remove the IR filter from
the image sensor? Or did you just add IR filters to your lens?

No need to remove any internal filter or hack these cameras. Just screw-on
standard IR filters to the front of the lens to cut out any visible light. They
come with a built-in infrared photography mode in them. Along with the usual use
for a digital camera, these were designed with their "Night Shot" mode. When you
turn the switch to that mode the camera flips its internal IR filter out of the
way, the one that everyone else has to hack out of their camera and end-up
destroying it for normal photography. The camera then readjusts the focusing
distance to account for IR wavelengths only and turns on some high-power IR LEDs
in front to illuminate subjects in the dark. You can then see, photograph, and
video-record in the total dark with it. I recall during a night-hike one time
that my headlamp batteries went out so I used my Sony camera like a night-vision
scope to find my way down a precarious outcrop of rock. Looking through the
camera's viewfinder for my next safe perch to land on.

These are also the only cameras that can quickly auto-focus in complete dark.
Along with their "Night-Shot" mode they also have what is called their "Night
Framing" mode. It uses the IR mode with its IR LED floods for you to focus and
frame a shot in the total dark, undetected, but then fires the flash for
properly exposed full-color images.

I also obtained two inexpensive (~ $30-$40 USD) high-power IR floods that Sony
sells for their "Night Shot" capable digicams and videocams. Model # HVL-IRM.
They attach to the hot-shoe but also come with an extender plate so you may
attach it to the tripod socket and have it alongside of instead of on top of the
camera, or use it to stack/gang more than one. They use the same Li-Ion battery
as used in the camera or you can use 2 AAs with them, a switch on the IR flood
to select which power source you want. A full charge, when using either battery
source, seems to last forever. They also have a continuous adjustment dial for
how much IR light level you want. I use those two floods (along with the
camera's built-in IR LEDs) to photograph and take videos of nocturnal wildlife
from as far away as 60 ft. in the total dark. The animals see and hear nothing
while being recorded but you can see your subject clearly in the viewfinder by
the IR light alone. It's the only way to photograph and take video of nocturnal
wildlife without your presence changing their natural behavior. If you put the
ISO mode to Auto then when in "Night Shot" mode the camera will crank up the
gain to ISO3200 when needed. It is grainy but perfectly acceptable for an IR
night photo. It looks like using high ISO film. Images at ISO3200 also clean up
very nice with good noise-removal software. Since it will be a B&W image when
done any color noise is averaged out. You can of course still use all the
manually set low ISOs too for noise-free IR images at night. You would use
ISO100 or 200 for daytime IR photography.

One interesting aspect of IR photography that I didn't know. I was photographing
some vast forest fires in the Rocky Mountains. The haze from the smoke for
hundreds of miles was making seeing the tops of any distant mountains impossible
during the many weeks that we were camping/hiking/kayaking in the area. Putting
on that filter-stack on my Sony camera, clicking the camera into "Night Shot"
mode in the daytime, I could then look through the camera's viewfinder to see
all the invisible distant mountain-tops and glaciers right through all that
dense haze. Appearing just as crisp and clear as if there were no fires. It was
pretty neat to be able to see what nobody else could see at the time. It
afforded some unique images that nobody else could get. Photos of the forest
fires right along with the usual majestic mountain scenery and glaciers.
Everyone else was just getting shots of fires, dense smoke, and nearby hazy
hills that could have taken place nearly anywhere on the planet. My photos
clearly showed where these fires were. They also look all the more artistic and
interesting with the mountain peaks towering over their immense fires below.

While hunting on the net just now for something, I notice that this year's Sony
Cybershot DSC-H50 also has "Night Shot" mode in it, for about $350.

Clipped from that page online:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50 Digital Camera (Black)
9.1 Megapixel
15x Optical Zoom
3.0" Tilt-up LCD Display
Super SteadyShot Image Stabilization
Face Detection with Smile Shutter
High Sensitivity (ISO 3200)
NightShot Infrared System
HDTV Compatibility

nospam September 26th 08 07:43 PM

Infrared photography

In article ,
Whiskers wrote:

[1] Some lenses have an IR focus index as well as the visible-light one;
after focusing visually, move the focusing ring so that the distance next
to the usual focus index is next to the IR one instead. If there isn't an
IR index, use the 'closer' depth of field indicator for f/5.6. Of course
with an auto-focus-only or fixed-focus compact camera, you're stuck with
what the camera does, which will be 'wrong' - but the large 'depth of
field' that goes with a tiny sensor might offset the problem somewhat.

it depends on the camera. a compact digicam which focuses off the
sensor itself won't be 'wrong' if there's a bandpass filter in the
optical path.

Whiskers September 26th 08 08:36 PM

Infrared photography

On 2008-09-26, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whiskers wrote:

[1] Some lenses have an IR focus index as well as the visible-light one;
after focusing visually, move the focusing ring so that the distance next
to the usual focus index is next to the IR one instead. If there isn't an
IR index, use the 'closer' depth of field indicator for f/5.6. Of course
with an auto-focus-only or fixed-focus compact camera, you're stuck with
what the camera does, which will be 'wrong' - but the large 'depth of
field' that goes with a tiny sensor might offset the problem somewhat.

it depends on the camera. a compact digicam which focuses off the
sensor itself won't be 'wrong' if there's a bandpass filter in the
optical path.

Well, I can imagine an auto-focus system based on signals from the image
sensor itself getting focus 'right' for IR if that's all the sensor is
getting. Do many, or any, compacts use that approach to auto-focus? (My
Samsung Digimax V700 appears to use a near-IR 'electronic rangefinder'
external to the image optics). Is
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus.htm no longer accurate?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

nospam September 26th 08 10:37 PM

Infrared photography

In article ,
Whiskers wrote:

Well, I can imagine an auto-focus system based on signals from the image
sensor itself getting focus 'right' for IR if that's all the sensor is
getting. Do many, or any, compacts use that approach to auto-focus? (My
Samsung Digimax V700 appears to use a near-IR 'electronic rangefinder'
external to the image optics). Is
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus.htm no longer accurate?

it doesn't appear that it ever was particularly accurate. it describes
passive versus active, but only mentions contrast detection for passive
and cites an slr as an example. unfortunately, slr cameras use phase
detection autofocus, not contrast detection. since an slr has a
separate optical path for autofocus (via a semi-silvered mirror), there
may be a focus error with infrared.

as for the digimax, i don't have that camera but from a brief look at
dpreview, it looks like it uses contrast detection off the sensor, just
as other compact digicams do, not a separate rangefinder.

here's a more detailed article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus

Whiskers September 26th 08 11:40 PM

Infrared photography

On 2008-09-26, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whiskers wrote:

Well, I can imagine an auto-focus system based on signals from the image
sensor itself getting focus 'right' for IR if that's all the sensor is
getting. Do many, or any, compacts use that approach to auto-focus? (My
Samsung Digimax V700 appears to use a near-IR 'electronic rangefinder'
external to the image optics). Is
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus.htm no longer accurate?

it doesn't appear that it ever was particularly accurate. it describes
passive versus active, but only mentions contrast detection for passive
and cites an slr as an example. unfortunately, slr cameras use phase
detection autofocus, not contrast detection. since an slr has a
separate optical path for autofocus (via a semi-silvered mirror), there
may be a focus error with infrared.

I'm a mechanical type - I understand how a traditional manual-focus SLR
works, and I prefer to use a manual range-finder camera because not only
do I understand how that works, but also I can actually see it working (my
eyesight doesn't go well with SLR viewfinders). I use a point-n-shoot
autofocus digicam, but I don't like not being able to focus quickly and
accurately for myself, as I can with my beloved (but bulky) range-finder
cameras.

as for the digimax, i don't have that camera but from a brief look at
dpreview, it looks like it uses contrast detection off the sensor, just
as other compact digicams do, not a separate rangefinder.

It isn't clear from the user manual; the specification only says 'through
the lens autofocus' but there is also an 'autofocus lamp' on the camera
body. Perhaps that is only there to ensure sufficient illumination for
the TTL 'contrast detection' system to work?

here's a more detailed article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus

That certainly reads better than the 'howstuffworks' article.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

nospam September 27th 08 12:28 AM

Infrared photography

In article ,
Whiskers wrote:

It isn't clear from the user manual; the specification only says 'through
the lens autofocus'

that's the key. it's off the sensor, not something separate.

but there is also an 'autofocus lamp' on the camera
body. Perhaps that is only there to ensure sufficient illumination for
the TTL 'contrast detection' system to work?

yep.

No Name September 28th 08 03:25 AM

Infrared photography

If you want to make simple, you could just buy a camera designed for IR.

Personally, I use the Fuji IS-1. By design, it is sensitive to both
visible and IR light; you select the spectrum you want and just put on
an appropriate filter. It will work pretty well up to 1000nm IR filter
or any of the 87 series, or you can do false-color IR using near-IR or
visible red or orange filters.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

No Name September 28th 08 03:47 AM

Infrared photography

In article .net,
says...

Or can I just strip off the existing filter and not replace it with anything?
I'm looking for quantitative data (the existence of IR) not qualitative data
(a pretty picture). What function does the replacement filter provide (other
than passing IR data)?

Whether the filter is internal or external, its main function is to
limit what spectrum the sensor responds to.

Assuming an ordinary Bayer-filtered sensor, all three color channels
will be sensitive to IR. If you remove the IR-blocking filter and don't
replace it, the sensor will receive both IR and visible light. The IR
will contaminate the color channels in visible photography if you don't
install an external IR-blocking filter.

To clarify, I want to "see" IR images real-time in the viewfinder, not
post-process the image data to reveal the IR.

If you use an IR-pass filter on a camera with an electronic viewfinder,
you can see the IR image live.

Depending on the filter, the camera, and the mode you're shooting in,
you might see the image in black and white, a pastel false color image,
or vividly bright false color.

[email protected] September 28th 08 04:51 AM

Infrared photography

In rec.photo.digital DaveC wrote:

| I want to photograph and video in infrared mode.

I'd like to know the spectral range possibilities of various sensors, both
in how long they can go for IR, and how short they can go for UV (assuming
the filter on the sensor is removed or replaced). I have heard figures of
1000nm and 1200nm for IR, but no figures for UV.

Are there cameras with special sensors that go well beyond what normal cameras
intended for the visible spectrum can do?

carlislestamford September 28th 08 06:11 AM

Infrared photography

On 28 Sep 2008 03:51:18 GMT, wrote:

In rec.photo.digital DaveC wrote:

| I want to photograph and video in infrared mode.

I'd like to know the spectral range possibilities of various sensors, both
in how long they can go for IR, and how short they can go for UV (assuming
the filter on the sensor is removed or replaced). I have heard figures of
1000nm and 1200nm for IR, but no figures for UV.

Are there cameras with special sensors that go well beyond what normal cameras
intended for the visible spectrum can do?

When I was searching for IR-ready and UV-ready cameras (I had a penchant to
photograph all the hidden patterns in plants that insects and other animal
orders depend on) I found that the Sony "Super-HAD" CCD sensors had the most
sensitivity to the largest spectrum of IR frequencies, covering the widest
bandwidth with the most sensitivity (in consumer cameras). You can find the
spec-sheets on various CCD arrays online. This was (5?) years ago when I did my
initial research and I'm not about to recreate that for you by Googling it for
you again. The IR frequencies that you want to expose for on these sensors being
determined only by the bandpass filter used in front of the lens array. Their
"Super-HAD" CCDs are conveniently used in all their inexpensive "NightShot" and
"NightFraming" capable IR-ready consumer P&S cameras.

Now on the other hand, only one camera out there (no longer available, I don't
think, and I don't recall who manufactured it because it was prohibitively
expensive, I didn't even want to think about trying to purchase it) was designed
to do both IR and UV with the flick of a switch. It was an expensive specialty
camera manufactured by Canon, Panasonic, or some other popular company, designed
to sell to research and forensics investigation departments.

UV is a whole other beast to contend with. Most optical glass in nearly all
camera lenses is a good absorption filter for many UV wavelengths. Even the
micro-lens array and Bayer-filter on the sensor is a UV blocking filter to some
extent. Imaging most of the UV bandwidths requires special and EXPENSIVE lenses
that will allow transmission of UV to any electronic sensor. Short-wave UV
transmission is totally obliterated by nothing more than a layer of flint or
crown-glass as thin as the material in a drinking-glass or standard
daylight-filter. In high-resolution UV photomicroscopy, for example, it requires
specialty lens elements made of hard pure-quartz and soft fluorite, throughout
the whole light-path, from subject to recording medium. Due to the high melting
point of pure quartz and the difficulty in figuring soft (and easily
moisture-destroyed) fluorite into the right curves (the reason L-Glass lenses
are so expensive) you aren't going to easily obtain camera lenses that can
transmit a wide bandwidth of UV with most consumer's bank-accounts. Most CCD
cameras will be somewhat sensitive to the long-wave UV spectrum, but only some
of it. Limited by the very optics that are a part of all white-light-imaging
lens assemblies. Long-wave UV, yes, you can reach into that bandwidth somewhat
successfully with standard lenses and common CCD sensors, but don't even think
about imaging in the short-wave UV spectrum with any of the standard glass lens
elements available on the market. Even L-Glass lenses are incapable for this use
because they are a mixture of more-common glasses elements plus fluorite
elements. The standard flint and crown glass components (as archaic examples
only, there are hundreds, if not thousands of modern glass recipes) will quickly
filter-out any short-wave UV that the L-Glass lenses' few fluorite elements
might pass.

[email protected] September 28th 08 08:48 AM

Infrared photography

In rec.photo.digital carlislestamford wrote:

| UV is a whole other beast to contend with. Most optical glass in nearly all
| camera lenses is a good absorption filter for many UV wavelengths. Even the
| micro-lens array and Bayer-filter on the sensor is a UV blocking filter to some
| extent. Imaging most of the UV bandwidths requires special and EXPENSIVE lenses
| that will allow transmission of UV to any electronic sensor. Short-wave UV
| transmission is totally obliterated by nothing more than a layer of flint or
| crown-glass as thin as the material in a drinking-glass or standard
| daylight-filter. In high-resolution UV photomicroscopy, for example, it requires
| specialty lens elements made of hard pure-quartz and soft fluorite, throughout
| the whole light-path, from subject to recording medium. Due to the high melting
| point of pure quartz and the difficulty in figuring soft (and easily
| moisture-destroyed) fluorite into the right curves (the reason L-Glass lenses
| are so expensive) you aren't going to easily obtain camera lenses that can
| transmit a wide bandwidth of UV with most consumer's bank-accounts. Most CCD
| cameras will be somewhat sensitive to the long-wave UV spectrum, but only some
| of it. Limited by the very optics that are a part of all white-light-imaging
| lens assemblies. Long-wave UV, yes, you can reach into that bandwidth somewhat
| successfully with standard lenses and common CCD sensors, but don't even think
| about imaging in the short-wave UV spectrum with any of the standard glass lens
| elements available on the market. Even L-Glass lenses are incapable for this use
| because they are a mixture of more-common glasses elements plus fluorite
| elements. The standard flint and crown glass components (as archaic examples
| only, there are hundreds, if not thousands of modern glass recipes) will quickly
| filter-out any short-wave UV that the L-Glass lenses' few fluorite elements
| might pass.

What about plastic lenses we ordinarily would scoff at? There are some better
quality plastic materials these days. Maybe it could be a semi-useful, even
if not the best quality, lens specific for shorter UV that you could ever hope
to get out of glass, without having to mess with quartz.

carlislestamford September 28th 08 09:20 AM

Infrared photography

On 28 Sep 2008 07:48:25 GMT, wrote:

What about plastic lenses we ordinarily would scoff at? There are some better
quality plastic materials these days. Maybe it could be a semi-useful, even
if not the best quality, lens specific for shorter UV that you could ever hope
to get out of glass, without having to mess with quartz.

Some acrylics and specialty plastics are indeed exceptional in the visual
wavelengths. This is why they were so popular in the "almost disposable" 35mm
and 126-film cameras of the past. Quickly molded in mass numbers with the
perfect properties and curvatures needed. One or two plastic lens elements
taking the place of expensive and difficult to figure/assemble
multiple-component achromat glass arrays, the inexpensive and lightweight
acrylic lenses preventing nearly all chromatic aberration problems.

I have not researched how they might be used for IR and UV though. UV might be
difficult because the carbon-based materials are often fluorescent (or
absorbing) to particular UV wavelengths. Though I'm sure there must be some
plastics that would easily fit the bill. I've often thought that many of our
modern cameras today could benefit greatly from their (plastic lenses')
properties, especially with chromatic aberrations being a prevalent problem in
many digital cameras/lenses. Not to mention just the weight benefits and
cost-savings. I assume they don't incorporate them (on internal lens elements
only, to prevent abrasions) only because of the marketing aspect of advertising
"plastic lens components". The average consumer would not understand their vast
benefits over glass lenses and, as you say, scoff at them. Revealing only their
ignorance and stupidity.

There is not a large outcry for UV and IR capable cameras. I would be first in
line to buy an inexpensive tri-bandwidth (IR, Vis, UV) performer, but I'm the
exception rather than the rule. I wish my camera to be able to image in all the
frequencies that could be captured by a CCD array. As well as record audio from
sub-sonic to ultra-sonic frequencies. Your average person has no concern over
what they can't see nor sense, out of sight -- out of mind. They have no
curiosity about something that is beyond their crippled perception of reality.

[email protected] September 29th 08 01:29 AM

Infrared photography

In rec.photo.digital carlislestamford wrote:

| There is not a large outcry for UV and IR capable cameras. I would be first in
| line to buy an inexpensive tri-bandwidth (IR, Vis, UV) performer, but I'm the
| exception rather than the rule. I wish my camera to be able to image in all the
| frequencies that could be captured by a CCD array. As well as record audio from
| sub-sonic to ultra-sonic frequencies. Your average person has no concern over
| what they can't see nor sense, out of sight -- out of mind. They have no
| curiosity about something that is beyond their crippled perception of reality.

Many years ago I was actually thinking about a design for "an antenna camera"
to produce some rough imaging of RF frequencies. It would, of course, have to
be a huge array to get anything approaching a "picture" below the microwave
frequencies. It might be interesting to do this from a distance "looking" at
the downtown area of a major city, and merge the 124000000nm to 120000000nm
view with the 700nm to 400nm view to see all the wifi radiation spots.