PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   GIMP (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=100865)

Mike -- Email Ignored August 31st 08 10:56 PM

GIMP

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch
tools. A friend suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

Thanks,
Mike.

nospam August 31st 08 11:33 PM

GIMP

In article SrEuk.209$sq3.51@trnddc07, Mike -- Email Ignored
wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch
tools. A friend suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

photoshop elements is a much better choice. another alternative is
adobe lightroom, which can edit images nondestructively as well as
manage image libraries.

Me September 1st 08 12:13 AM

GIMP

wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch
tools. A friend suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

photoshop elements is a much better choice. another alternative is
adobe lightroom, which can edit images nondestructively as well as
manage image libraries.

Why is elements a better choice for that?

For the OP, you can get rid of dust spots against skies etc using NX ,
selection tool & blur, or painting them out using the brush tool (select
b/g colour using colour picker). Obviously not for more complicated
cloning etc.

James[_2_] September 1st 08 12:19 AM

GIMP

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:56:02 +0000, Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch tools. A friend
suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

Thanks,
Mike.

The Gimp will do that and more. Just browse the plugin page it has most
every tool needed there and more added all the time. And you get to save
the $$ for more camera gear.

Jim

Mike -- Email Ignored September 1st 08 02:45 AM

GIMP

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:19:49 +0000, James wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:56:02 +0000, Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch tools. A friend
suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

Thanks,
Mike.

The Gimp will do that and more. Just browse the plugin page it has most
every tool needed there and more added all the time. And you get to save
the $$ for more camera gear.

Jim

As far as I can see, Gimp allows only 8 bit colors. My camera takes
14 bit. If I am in error, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike.

nospam September 1st 08 02:46 AM

GIMP

In article , Me
wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch
tools. A friend suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

photoshop elements is a much better choice. another alternative is
adobe lightroom, which can edit images nondestructively as well as
manage image libraries.

Why is elements a better choice for that?

it does more and it is much faster than gimp. also, camera raw is
highly regarded and can now mimic the look of other raw processors,
notably the camera maker's own software.

Mike -- Email Ignored September 1st 08 02:48 AM

GIMP

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:19:56 -0400, me wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:56:02 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Mike
-- Email Ignored wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch tools. A friend
suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

If you are looking for a spot healing tool in a raw processor you might
consider giving Bibble a try.

I tried Bibble. I found that the data associated with an image was
hard to find. This would be difficult for my backup procedures. If
I am in eeeor, and there is a way out of this (a way to create an
easily identifiable, complete file for each image) please let me
know.

Thanks,
Mike.

Me September 1st 08 03:00 AM

GIMP

nospam wrote:
In article , Me
wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch
tools. A friend suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?
photoshop elements is a much better choice. another alternative is
adobe lightroom, which can edit images nondestructively as well as
manage image libraries.

Why is elements a better choice for that?

it does more and it is much faster than gimp. also, camera raw is
highly regarded and can now mimic the look of other raw processors,
notably the camera maker's own software.

ACR isn't as good as Nikon's Capture NX for raw conversion in general -
and nowhere near as good with the latest generation of cameras with
auto-ca correction, ADL, vignette control, and standard and customisable
picture controls (able to be shared/used with jpeg & raw in camera - or
in Nx) (I'm not sure if auto ca correction is in the D90). With other
makes of camera YMMV - it might be as good as anything else.

"Faster" than gimp? Not sure what that means. Gimp seems fast enough
rendering large image files. Like full photoshop, there's a learning
curve. Recent versions seem very stable.

Gimp has some better features than photoshop. The perspective clone
tool and perspective correction tools are IMO better. Resizing /
resampling is better, with Lanczos interpolation included. Jpeg
compression options and preview is also IMO better. Gimp is also now
ICC colour aware. The only real downsides are that it's limited to 8
bit colour, and totally useless (IMO) for printing.

Me September 1st 08 03:05 AM

GIMP

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:19:49 +0000, James wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:56:02 +0000, Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch tools. A friend
suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

Thanks,
Mike.

The Gimp will do that and more. Just browse the plugin page it has most
every tool needed there and more added all the time. And you get to save
the $$ for more camera gear.

Jim

As far as I can see, Gimp allows only 8 bit colors. My camera takes
14 bit. If I am in error, please let me know.

That's right.
Gimp is fine for PP as final step - ie after any large adjustments to
colours, levels etc, which might cause visible integer rounding
posterisation effects. In my case, I'd always do those all of
adjustments using the raw converter, gimp as final step for ie
perspective correction, major cloning etc.

Operations that can be done with PS elements while in 16 bit colour mode
were very limited last time I looked at it - so if fully editing in 16
bit colour-space is needed, then full price PS is also needed.

James[_2_] September 1st 08 03:06 AM

GIMP

-- Email Ignored wrote:

I use Nikon Capture NX, but I need healing and patch tools. A friend
suggested I try GIMP. Any comments?

If you are looking for a spot healing tool in a raw processor you might
consider giving Bibble a try.

I tried Bibble. I found that the data associated with an image was hard
to find. This would be difficult for my backup procedures. If I am in
eeeor, and there is a way out of this (a way to create an easily
identifiable, complete file for each image) please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike.

I use bibble as well and it stores the .bib file with the original file
and shares its name. It does not match a renamed file so I rename them my
self.

James