PhotoBanter.com

-   Medium Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Microtek 120TF Scanner - no support (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=84423)

viewerofrecphoto August 10th 07 10:03 PM

Microtek 120TF Scanner - no support

Just an FYI to those of you with a Microtek 120TF
or Polaroid Sprintscan 120, or those considering
buying one.

Microtek does not sell replacement bulbs, and
does not repair them any longer. They were kind
enough to offer a brand new unit to replace my
old one, for the special price US $1450. B&H
sells them for $50 more.

Neil Gould August 11th 07 01:39 AM

Microtek 120TF Scanner - no support

Recently, viewerofrecphoto posted:

Just an FYI to those of you with a Microtek 120TF
or Polaroid Sprintscan 120, or those considering
buying one.

Microtek does not sell replacement bulbs, and
does not repair them any longer. They were kind
enough to offer a brand new unit to replace my
old one, for the special price US $1450. B&H
sells them for $50 more.

This sounds odd. What service options did they offer you?

Neil

viewerofrecphoto August 11th 07 03:44 AM

On Aug 10, 8:39 pm, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, viewerofrecphoto posted:

Just an FYI to those of you with a Microtek 120TF
or Polaroid Sprintscan 120, or those considering
buying one.

Microtek does not sell replacement bulbs, and
does not repair them any longer. They were kind
enough to offer a brand new unit to replace my
old one, for the special price US $1450. B&H
sells them for $50 more.

This sounds odd. What service options did they offer you?

Neil

No other options. Apparently they are no longer servicing
the 120TF. If you're under warranty, you probably get a new
replacement unit. If you're out of warranty, you can buy one for
the special price.

- August 11th 07 04:14 AM

Microtek 120TF Scanner - no support

Microtek hasn't serviced scanners for a few years now. If it is under
warranty, they will replace it. If it is out of warranty, they will offer
you a discount based on a sliding scale. I have seen comments from people
confirming what Neil said in regard to the value of the discounts.

Doug
--
www.BetterScanning.com - Custom Film Holders and Accessories for Agfa,
Microtek and Epson Scanners

Neil Gould August 11th 07 12:22 PM

Microtek 120TF Scanner - no support

Recently, - posted:

Microtek hasn't serviced scanners for a few years now. If it is under
warranty, they will replace it. If it is out of warranty, they will
offer you a discount based on a sliding scale. I have seen comments
from people confirming what Neil said in regard to the value of the
discounts.

Doug

Actually, made the comment, but I can confirm that this
is not a new practice, as Microtek sent a new replacement 120TF instead of
repairing mine about 1-1/2 years ago. Still, I thought manufacturers were
obligated to supply parts for a number of years (7?) under U.S. law and
some similar requirement in Europe. Anyone aware of the facts?

Neil

Pudentame August 12th 07 10:21 PM

Microtek 120TF Scanner - no support

Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, - posted:

Microtek hasn't serviced scanners for a few years now. If it is under
warranty, they will replace it. If it is out of warranty, they will
offer you a discount based on a sliding scale. I have seen comments
from people confirming what Neil said in regard to the value of the
discounts.

Doug

Actually, made the comment, but I can confirm that this
is not a new practice, as Microtek sent a new replacement 120TF instead of
repairing mine about 1-1/2 years ago. Still, I thought manufacturers were
obligated to supply parts for a number of years (7?) under U.S. law and
some similar requirement in Europe. Anyone aware of the facts?

Neil

Well, if it was made in Detroit, Cleveland, Windsor, or Matamourous (I
think that's where Ford's Mexico plant is located)... they'd be
obligated to assure repair parts for 10 years after the end of the model
year.

I don't think there's any such law for manufacturers of electronics;
only that it can't cause interference with commercial radio/TV broadcasts.

Bob AZ August 13th 07 05:04 AM

On Aug 10, 2:03?pm, viewerofrecphoto wrote:
Just an FYI to those of you with a Microtek 120TF
or Polaroid Sprintscan 120, or those considering
buying one.

Microtek does not sell replacement bulbs, and
does not repair them any longer.

Is the bulb visible enough to determine the bulb type? There are many
CFL bulbs, I think they call them, available. Are you able to replace
the bulb yourself?

Bob AZ

viewerofrecphoto August 13th 07 03:59 PM

On Aug 13, 12:04 am, Bob AZ wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:03?pm, viewerofrecphoto wrote:

Just an FYI to those of you with a Microtek 120TF
or Polaroid Sprintscan 120, or those considering
buying one.

Microtek does not sell replacement bulbs, and
does not repair them any longer.

Is the bulb visible enough to determine the bulb type? There are many
CFL bulbs, I think they call them, available. Are you able to replace
the bulb yourself?

Bob AZ

I opened it up and found a CCFL tube, about 2.7mm diameter by 92mm
long.
The closest I can find is
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...me=289-1004-ND

Its under $20, so what the heck we'll give it a shot.

Neil Gould August 13th 07 08:11 PM

On Aug 13, 12:04 am, Bob AZ wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:03?pm, viewerofrecphoto wrote:

Just an FYI to those of you with a Microtek 120TF
or Polaroid Sprintscan 120, or those considering
buying one.

Microtek does not sell replacement bulbs, and
does not repair them any longer.

Is the bulb visible enough to determine the bulb type? There are
many CFL bulbs, I think they call them, available. Are you able to
replace the bulb yourself?

Bob AZ

I opened it up and found a CCFL tube, about 2.7mm diameter by 92mm
long.
The closest I can find is

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...me=289-1004-ND

Its under $20, so what the heck we'll give it a shot.

Hmm. According to JKL, that bulb has an average rated lifespan of 40,000
hours.

http://www.jkllamps.com/files/BF%203-20B.pdf

This would make me suspect a power component as the cause of the bulb not
lighting. With a starting voltage of over 400V, it might be hard to test
the bulb outside of the unit... any components on the circuit board
looking a little "cooked"?

Neil

viewerofrecphoto August 13th 07 09:44 PM

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...l?name=289-100...

Its under $20, so what the heck we'll give it a shot.

Hmm. According to JKL, that bulb has an average rated lifespan of 40,000
hours.

http://www.jkllamps.com/files/BF%203-20B.pdf

This would make me suspect a power component as the cause of the bulb not
lighting. With a starting voltage of over 400V, it might be hard to test
the bulb outside of the unit... any components on the circuit board
looking a little "cooked"?

Neil

Its not an exact match - the original bulb is thinner and longer.
Microtek rated
the bulb for 6000 hours. The driver board looks pristine, so I figure
its easy enough
to solder in the new one and try it.