PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Scanning 110 format film? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=11056)

Alan Browne August 29th 04 05:58 PM

Scanning 110 format film?

Richard H. Weiner wrote:

Anyone have any idea of how to scan this film without cutting the
individual frames and mounting in glass slides? The images may not be
the greatest and I know I'll be limited in print sizes but this is
mostly to archive the images...personal memories.

Take them to a lab that can handle them w/o cutting and get them
to gen hi res scans (specify high res).

Alternately, a fladbad scanner with transparency capability will
do a decent (not best) job.

Colin D August 29th 04 11:37 PM

"Richard H. Weiner" wrote:

Anyone have any idea of how to scan this film without cutting the
individual frames and mounting in glass slides? The images may not be
the greatest and I know I'll be limited in print sizes but this is
mostly to archive the images...personal memories.

RHW

What about shooting them with a reasonable digital? You might have to
rig up some optics to get about 1:1, which is somewhere near the sensor
size of most digis vs a 110 neg.

Or get them printed and scan the prints.

Colin D.

Tony Spadaro August 30th 04 12:47 AM

The second one sounds more practical to me, but if you have a 5000k lightbox
and a good macro lens (even on a 35mm camera) it will do the trick. Another
possibility is one of those enlarging slide dupers (I have one that goes to
2:1) and a glass mount slide you don't mind cutting up. You don't have to
cut the film - just trim away an area for the film to go through the mount
and line the shots by hand - I did this with a couple 110 Instamatic shots a
friend wanted digitized and got pretty good results although there was a lot
of puddling around to get rid of the orange backing (original was on CN film
and I duped to slide film, scanned and used a blue layer (derived from a
straight scan of the CN film clear orange) to get it into the ballpark, then
did some heavy puddling with levels and curves to get it looking about
right. Not something I'd want to do a lot of but it actually might be easier
for a lot of shots as the adjustments probably would fall into general
catagories (one for sunlight, one for shade etc) and after the first few it
might go pretty quick.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto