PhotoBanter.com

-   Large Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lens Cell Cleaning (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=116757)

David Nebenzahl February 9th 11 01:27 AM

Lens Cell Cleaning

On 2/8/2011 4:47 PM Peter spake thus:

On Feb 8, 5:26 pm, Cheesehead wrote:

I just picked up a Geronar 210/6.8
The rear cell inner surface has some fogging.
Looks like condensation.
What is the proper method for cleaning such a surface?
Or would you recommend sending it out? Do you have a preferred
service center?

For a simple lens, simply rinsing it with distilled water and allowing
it to dry should cause it to dry without marks. If there is some
dirt, oil or residue using a bit of clear detergent on a very soft
brush and rinsing it with distilled water (or perhaps lots of tap
water followed by distilled water) and allowing it to air dry in a
place with no dust should work well.

You can also use ordinary window cleaner (Windex) without fear of
damage, on either coated or uncoated optics. This will help dissolve any
coated-on gunk or haze on the lens surfaces. Of course, you do need to
be careful, but it shouldn't be that big a deal.

I like to use a cleaning "wand" made out of a single rolled-up square of
toilet paper (!!), moistening the end and gently wiping it over the lens
surface. I've done this many times and have never damaged a lens yet.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.