PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sharp thinking: Nikon creates selectable strength low-pass filter (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=126315)

me[_5_] September 6th 13 06:55 PM

Sharp thinking: Nikon creates selectable strength low-pass filter

Link to DPReview article
http://preview.tinyurl.com/lfgpcla

The best of both worlds now at one's fingertips?

Alfred Molon[_4_] September 6th 13 09:10 PM

Sharp thinking: Nikon creates selectable strength low-pass filter

In article ,
says...

Link to DPReview article
http://preview.tinyurl.com/lfgpcla

The best of both worlds now at one's fingertips?

Well... there are a couple of questions:

1. How good is the AA filter (ideal step filter or slowly falling
filter)?

2. Does the filter set automatically its strength or are you supposed to
set the filter before each shot? Can be quite cumbersome thinking each
time before a shot how much AA you need.
--

Alfred Molon

Sandman September 7th 13 09:07 AM

Alfred Molon wrote:

Link to DPReview article
http://preview.tinyurl.com/lfgpcla

The best of both worlds now at one's fingertips?

Well... there are a couple of questions:

1. How good is the AA filter (ideal step filter or slowly falling
filter)?

Well, it comes in two configurations amounting to four different setups,
so there's bound to be some choice that fits most circumstances. But
it's an interesting patent.

2. Does the filter set automatically its strength or are you supposed to
set the filter before each shot? Can be quite cumbersome thinking each
time before a shot how much AA you need.

How so? I mean, the camera has tons of settings that affects the image
quality and result that isn't done automatically. And since the general
consensus about an AA filter is that it's great for most shots except a
few instances, where it can pretty much ruin a picture. So to be able to
shot it off when making such a shot, that would be great!

--
Sandman[.net]

Me September 15th 13 03:56 AM

Sharp thinking: Nikon creates selectable strength low-pass filter

On 7/09/2013 8:07 p.m., Sandman wrote:
snip
And since the general
consensus about an AA filter is that it's great for most shots except a
few instances, where it can pretty much ruin a picture. So to be able to
shot it off when making such a shot, that would be great!

I'd thought general consensus at the kind of pixel density that we have
now, is that having /no/ AA filter is great for most shots, except in a
few instances where not having an AA filter can pretty much ruin a
picture (alaising - more than colour moire which seems to be able to be
quite well controlled in raw conversion).

Sandman September 15th 13 06:51 AM

Sharp thinking: Nikon creates selectable strength low-pass filter

In article , Me
wrote:

And since the general
consensus about an AA filter is that it's great for most shots except a
few instances, where it can pretty much ruin a picture. So to be able to
shot it off when making such a shot, that would be great!

I'd thought general consensus at the kind of pixel density that we have
now, is that having /no/ AA filter is great for most shots, except in a
few instances where not having an AA filter can pretty much ruin a
picture (alaising - more than colour moire which seems to be able to be
quite well controlled in raw conversion).

Yeah, reading what I wrote, I must have had my thinking backwards, or my
writing. I meant what you wrote. Sorry about that :)

--
Sandman[.net]