PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital ZLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Eliminating the 8800 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=29223)

Lukas Varossieau November 17th 04 10:04 AM

Eliminating the 8800

"Bill H." wrote in message ...

I realized that, for the photography I do, 8 mp was not necessary.

The extra resolution will always be handy for cropping purposes.

The FZ20 has a much longer zoom and is easier to find. .

Go for the Olympus Camedia C-8080. It out performs all other 8
megapixel ZLR type cameras. It is the best ZLR.

David J Taylor November 17th 04 10:37 AM

Lukas Varossieau wrote:
"Bill H." wrote in message

I realized that, for the photography I do, 8 mp was not necessary.

The extra resolution will always be handy for cropping purposes.

The FZ20 has a much longer zoom and is easier to find. .

Go for the Olympus Camedia C-8080. It out performs all other 8
megapixel ZLR type cameras. It is the best ZLR.

However, it lacks the image stabilisation present in the FZ20. My tests
have shown that the FZ20 equalsa or perhaps even beats the image "quality"
producesd by the Minolta A2 in JPEG mode.

David

Lukas Varossieau November 19th 04 02:58 AM

"David J Taylor" wrote in message ...
Lukas Varossieau wrote:
"Bill H." wrote in message

I realized that, for the photography I do, 8 mp was not necessary.

The extra resolution will always be handy for cropping purposes.

The FZ20 has a much longer zoom and is easier to find. .

Go for the Olympus Camedia C-8080. It out performs all other 8
megapixel ZLR type cameras. It is the best ZLR.

However, it lacks the image stabilisation present in the FZ20.

You were the group creator, yes? Perhaps you should have named the
group

rec.photo.digital.zlr-with-is or
rec.photo.digital.fz20-is-the-only-good-zlr

Seriously if you want to attract new participants you shouldn't be
putting down their cameras.

My tests
have shown that the FZ20 equalsa or perhaps even beats the image "quality"
producesd by the Minolta A2 in JPEG mode.

The Minolta A2 is the bottom of the 8 megapixel ZLR heap. No
comparison to the Olympus.

David J Taylor November 19th 04 06:12 AM

Lukas Varossieau wrote:
[]
You were the group creator, yes? Perhaps you should have named the
group

rec.photo.digital.zlr-with-is or
rec.photo.digital.fz20-is-the-only-good-zlr

Seriously if you want to attract new participants you shouldn't be
putting down their cameras.

You are the person proposing the c8080 as the best ZLR, without pointing
out its limitations. There is a wide choice of ZLR cameras, and if
someone has a particular need such as 24mm wide angle, zoom past 140mm,
less than 8MP, or image stabilisation then not all ZLR models will meet
their requirements. Of course, there will also be people who have a
flexible requirement and may buy on price alone.

Yes, I was one of the charter proposers, although it was group discussion
which refined the charter and the group vote which created the newsgroup.

David

Lukas Varossieau November 20th 04 04:54 AM

"David J Taylor" wrote in message ...
Lukas Varossieau wrote:
[]
You were the group creator, yes? Perhaps you should have named the
group

rec.photo.digital.zlr-with-is or
rec.photo.digital.fz20-is-the-only-good-zlr

Seriously if you want to attract new participants you shouldn't be
putting down their cameras.

You are the person proposing the c8080 as the best ZLR, without pointing
out its limitations. There is a wide choice of ZLR cameras, and if
someone has a particular need such as 24mm wide angle, zoom past 140mm,
less than 8MP, or image stabilisation then not all ZLR models will meet
their requirements. Of course, there will also be people who have a
flexible requirement and may buy on price alone.

Fair enough! What can I say? I love my camera as much as you love
yours.

Yes, I was one of the charter proposers, although it was group discussion
which refined the charter and the group vote which created the newsgroup.

I voted for the group, actually for ALL the new rpd groups. So I
suppose that makes me one of the creators too? Hehe. I feel a warm
sense of pride. ;)