PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Going all-in on Sony (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=132333)

Sandman July 31st 19 07:53 AM

Going all-in on Sony

So, I've been toying with the idea of going all-in with Sony. Currently, when I'm
on a shoot, I bring my Nikon D800E as my main rig, just because I have the best
glass for it. But I could buy equally good glass for the Sony today, but it will
be pricey.

The Sony gold master series now has a 24-70/2.8 and a 70-200/2.8 and Sigma has a
14-24/2.8 Art that could replace the holy trinity. But that's about $10,000 in
lenses. I would also need a good 135 mm, and Sigma has a 135/1.8 Art which should
do the trick. So basically what I could sell is:

Nikon D800E
Nikkor 14-24/2.8
Nikkor 24-70/2.8 (slightly damaged)
Nikkor 70-200/2.8
Nikkor 80-400
Nikkor 85/1.4
Nikkor 50/1.8 (special edition, came with the Df)
Nikkor 24-120/4

And I would keep:

Nikon Df
Nikkor 135/2 DC
Nikkor 50/1.4G
Tamron 90mm macro
My assortment of "special" lenses like the Petzval etc.

The list of equipment I could sell should make it possible to really cut down on
the price of Sony glass.

I've been holding out on the Nikon mirrorless, and while the Z6 is a really good
camera, it's not on the Sony A7 level yet, and I'm not sure I can wait for it to
become better. With the Sony A7 IV on the horizon, I'm not sure Nikon or Canon
can catch up anytime soon, unfortunately.

--
Sandman

Savageduck[_3_] August 1st 19 02:38 AM

Going all-in on Sony

On Jul 30, 2019, Sandman wrote
(in ):

[...]

Somehow this seems to be the moment to consider the following appropriate
quote:

“The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but
plunges him more deeply into them.” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Savageduck

FlipChip(tm) August 1st 19 06:26 PM

Going all-in on Sony

On=20Wed=20Jul=2031=2018:38:25=202019=20Savageduck =20=20wrote:

=20Somehow=20this=20seems=20to=20be=20the=20momen t=20to=20conside=

r=20the=20following=20appropriate
=20quote:

=20?The=20machine=20does=20not=20isolate=20man=20 from=20the=20gre=

at=20problems=20of=20nature=20but
=20plunges=20him=20more=20deeply=20into=20them.?= 20~=20Antoine=20=

de=20Saint-Exupery

\\

Everyone=20is=20entitled=20to=20make=20their=20own =20choices=20and=
=20walk=20the=20path=20they=20choose,=20even=20if= 20one=20have=20t=
o=20walk=20it=20barefootet=20and=20the=20path=20is =20full=20of=20b=
roken=20glass=20...

Herbert=20Krugman=20and=20"effective=20frequency"= 20come=20in=20to=
=20mind=20while=20looking=20this=20home=20entertai nment=20company=
=20hysteria=20...

Alfred Molon[_4_] August 1st 19 06:26 PM

Going all-in on Sony

How about a smaller, more portable system?

--
Alfred Molon

Savageduck[_3_] August 1st 19 08:00 PM

Going all-in on Sony

On Aug 1, 2019, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

How about a smaller, more portable system?

You do realize that you are addressing our Swedish pal Sandman, who has an
irrepressible urge, and deep wallet to acquire whatever is currently
impressing him. I don’t think that he has ever considered smaller, or more
portable as a desirable characteristic for camera gear.

Savageduck

Alfred Molon[_4_] August 2nd 19 07:58 PM

Going all-in on Sony

In article
.com,
says...
You do realize that you are addressing our Swedish pal Sandman, who has an
irrepressible urge, and deep wallet to acquire whatever is currently
impressing him. I don?t think that he has ever considered smaller, or more
portable as a desirable characteristic for camera gear.

I'm just curious why he needs a FF system.
--
Alfred Molon

Savageduck[_3_] August 2nd 19 08:16 PM

Going all-in on Sony

On Aug 2, 2019, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In article
.com,
says...
You do realize that you are addressing our Swedish pal Sandman, who has an
irrepressible urge, and deep wallet to acquire whatever is currently
impressing him. I don?t think that he has ever considered smaller, or more
portable as a desirable characteristic for camera gear.

I'm just curious why he needs a FF system.

Few of us NEED, or can justify a need for an FF system. I certainly have no
need for anything more than my current APS-C cameras.

I have no idea if Sandman is moving from the realm of shooting shots of his
family, local, and vacation scenery, as I have always understood that he was
not any sort of pro photographer, but was quite talented as a graphic artist,
and ran a profitable tech related business. I believe that he is just
chasing, and can afford what he believes to be the latest, and greatest
camera system that the various pundits are promoting. Next year it will be
something else.

Savageduck

nospam August 3rd 19 12:17 AM

Going all-in on Sony

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Weakest justification for a FF system: "I like it better when I don't have
to divide the lens focal lengths."

multiply.

Sandman August 3rd 19 07:37 AM

Going all-in on Sony

In article , Alfred Molon wrote:

How about a smaller, more portable system?

I already have a significant investment in Nikon and Sony, I have no desire to go
to a third system. Plus, the A7 is plenty small :)

--
Sandman

Sandman August 3rd 19 07:40 AM

Going all-in on Sony

In article .com, Savageduck
wrote:

Alfred Molon:
How about a smaller, more portable system?

You do realize that you are addressing our Swedish pal Sandman, who
has an irrepressible urge, and deep wallet to acquire whatever is
currently impressing him. I don’t think that he has ever
considered smaller, or more portable as a desirable characteristic
for camera gear.

WTF? Where the hell did this nonsense come from?

Also, what system is "more portable" than a Sony A7? My iPhone? I posted a while
ago about using the iPhone only as a vacation camera. Unless you have a camera
system that can fit inside your jeans pocket, any "system" is as portable as the
A7.

--
Sandman