PhotoBanter.com

-   -   mini dv (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=56207)

[email protected] January 29th 06 06:10 PM

mini dv

I just recieved a JVC GR-D244U mini DV digital cam corder. Works great,
no problems. I wanted to transfer videos to PC. Found coolgear.Hooks to
same AV cable that came with camera..
http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/vicaandedgrx.html
Works great(make sure to update audio device in the device manager),
but what do i do to send these through e-mail. Seems that the files are
to large. I compressed in zip file, but only went from 155mb down to
125mb. Errors of could not send; or file to large.

ASAAR January 29th 06 07:01 PM

mini dv

On 29 Jan 2006 10:10:56 -0800, wrote:

Works great(make sure to update audio device in the device manager),
but what do i do to send these through e-mail. Seems that the files are
to large. I compressed in zip file, but only went from 155mb down to
125mb. Errors of could not send; or file to large.

There may be better answers in a newsgroup intended for
cam-corders, but you could apply a newsgroup technique to email.
Many people post files of that size to binary newsgroups, but they
aren't posted as a single large files. Software is used to split
them into many smaller files which are then reassembled by the
recipient. This is often done using newsreader software, but it
doesn't have to be. Back when hard drives were uncommon, zip
programs (such as pkzip) could create multiple files, one per floppy
disk which would later be extracted and reassembled. But it's only
practical if the person you're sending the files to is at least
slightly computer literate. If you search, you should be able to
find several free disk utilities that can split and recombine files.
Then simply make sure each split segment is small enough to avoid
being rejected by email file size rules. You're probably better off
using traditional mail to send copies saved on cheap CDs though.

Charles January 29th 06 07:06 PM

mini dv

In article .com,
" wrote:

Works great(make sure to update audio device in the device manager),
but what do i do to send these through e-mail. Seems that the files are
to large. I compressed in zip file, but only went from 155mb down to
125mb. Errors of could not send; or file to large.

When I send a video file by e-mail I convert the files to Quicktime
which compresses them to a managable size.

--
Charles

Big Bill January 29th 06 07:09 PM

mini dv

On 29 Jan 2006 10:10:56 -0800, "
wrote:

I just recieved a JVC GR-D244U mini DV digital cam corder. Works great,
no problems. I wanted to transfer videos to PC. Found coolgear.Hooks to
same AV cable that came with camera..
http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/vicaandedgrx.html
Works great(make sure to update audio device in the device manager),
but what do i do to send these through e-mail. Seems that the files are
to large. I compressed in zip file, but only went from 155mb down to
125mb. Errors of could not send; or file to large.

You'll need a video editing app for this. Evidently that model ships
without one.
Personally, I use Pinnacle Studio, but there are many available.

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

PTravel January 29th 06 08:18 PM

mini dv

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just recieved a JVC GR-D244U mini DV digital cam corder. Works great,
no problems. I wanted to transfer videos to PC. Found coolgear.Hooks to
same AV cable that came with camera..
http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/vicaandedgrx.html
Works great(make sure to update audio device in the device manager),
but what do i do to send these through e-mail. Seems that the files are
to large. I compressed in zip file, but only went from 155mb down to
125mb. Errors of could not send; or file to large.

Why aren't you transferring via 1394/firewire? You'll get much better
quality.

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:19 PM

mini dv

Thanks for the reply. I was basically told the same thing by our pc
manager at work. just wanted the instant gratifacation in sending these
to grand parents and family members.He also mentioned that the
recipient usually does not have the large file capacity needed to
recieve these type files. sometimes even to many photos causes
unsenable size files.

Thanks again.

PTravel January 29th 06 08:20 PM

mini dv

"Big Bill" wrote in message
On 29 Jan 2006 10:10:56 -0800, "
wrote:

I just recieved a JVC GR-D244U mini DV digital cam corder. Works great,
no problems. I wanted to transfer videos to PC. Found coolgear.Hooks to
same AV cable that came with camera..
http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/vicaandedgrx.html
Works great(make sure to update audio device in the device manager),
but what do i do to send these through e-mail. Seems that the files are
to large. I compressed in zip file, but only went from 155mb down to
125mb. Errors of could not send; or file to large.

You'll need a video editing app for this. Evidently that model ships
without one.
Personally, I use Pinnacle Studio, but there are many available.]

You don't need an editor simply to transcode to a compressed format.
Windows has a free program called Windows Media Encoder that will transcode
to small .wmv files (at the cost of a quality, of course).

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

[email protected] January 29th 06 08:27 PM

mini dv

I had heard that, but was unable to find the software to do so. I had
even ordered and recieved the cable(was hopeing it was as simple as
plug and play, no driver software) no such luck. i had video capturing
software to copy dvds. maybe I was trying to get by cheap.

THanks

Big Bill January 29th 06 08:39 PM

mini dv

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:20:59 GMT, "PTravel"
wrote:

"Big Bill" wrote in message
.. .
On 29 Jan 2006 10:10:56 -0800, "
wrote:

I just recieved a JVC GR-D244U mini DV digital cam corder. Works great,
no problems. I wanted to transfer videos to PC. Found coolgear.Hooks to
same AV cable that came with camera..
http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/vicaandedgrx.html
Works great(make sure to update audio device in the device manager),
but what do i do to send these through e-mail. Seems that the files are
to large. I compressed in zip file, but only went from 155mb down to
125mb. Errors of could not send; or file to large.

You'll need a video editing app for this. Evidently that model ships
without one.
Personally, I use Pinnacle Studio, but there are many available.]

You don't need an editor simply to transcode to a compressed format.
Windows has a free program called Windows Media Encoder that will transcode
to small .wmv files (at the cost of a quality, of course).

That's true, I tend to forget the Windows applets.
Movie Maker is a decent little app, too.

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

[email protected] January 29th 06 09:31 PM

mini dv

thanks guys.