PhotoBanter.com

-   -   scanning colour slides (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74690)

gA December 26th 06 10:50 PM

scanning colour slides

Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a
flatbed scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency
adapter. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

Allodoxaphobia December 26th 06 10:58 PM

scanning colour slides

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:50:21 GMT, gA wrote:
Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a
flatbed scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency
adapter. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I suppose it depends on what 'quality' you want.
I've had some success with inverting a slide view table and placing it
over the slide(s) on the scanner. This was for images that were to be
"web site material" -- i.e., not for Photo Finish Work, nor for web
Photo Gallery purpose.

For better results I've made my own slide adapter for one of my digital
cameras. But, that's wasn't what you asked about. Disirregardless,
here's the ref:
http://users.iafrica.com/m/mc/mcollett/brsd/index.htm

HNY
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm

ray December 26th 06 11:23 PM

scanning colour slides

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:50:21 +0000, gA wrote:

Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a
flatbed scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency
adapter. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

Sure, there are a number of flatbed scanners with transparency adapters.
Epson makes several.

gA December 26th 06 11:47 PM

scanning colour slides

Thank you for your quick reply, Jonesy. I should have asked "what
is the best and cheapest way to convert slides to digital". I saw
your device and I am impressed by the quality of the result. Is
there any improvement that can be made to this procedure?
Thanks, gA

David J. Littleboy December 27th 06 12:16 AM

scanning colour slides

"gA" wrote:
Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a flatbed
scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency adapter. Any
help appreciated. Thanks.

It's possible, but the quality is not great. Dedicated film scanners are
much better.

I forget the model numbers, but for web images and prints up to 5x7, the
current low-end Epson 4800 ppi model should do fairly well for well under
US$200 (I don't know the exact price).

If you are serious about image quality and want to make 8x10 or larger
prints, the Nikon dedicated 35mm film scanners are very good.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

jeremy December 27th 06 12:28 AM

scanning colour slides

"gA" wrote in message
Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a flatbed
scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency adapter. Any
help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

Not really. Film scanners pull out much more information from film than
flatbed scanners can. Scan a slide on both, then compare the results.
There will be no contest--a film scanner will give much better results.

jeremy December 27th 06 12:30 AM

scanning colour slides

"gA" wrote in message
Thank you for your quick reply, Jonesy. I should have asked "what is the
best and cheapest way to convert slides to digital". I saw your device and
I am impressed by the quality of the result. Is there any improvement that
can be made to this procedure?
Thanks, gA

PrimeFilm PF3600 Pro3 Scanner. About $350 on Amazon. Digital ICE3.
Multi-function (both slides and negs). I am unaware of anything cheaper,
and the scanner produces very good results. 3600 x 3600 optical resolution,
compared with Kodak PhotoCD of 3072 x 2048. DMAX of 3.6 versus Kodak
PhotoCD of 2.2.

There are better scanners, but not at that price point.

Gerrit 't Hart December 27th 06 12:59 AM

scanning colour slides

"jeremy" wrote in message

"gA" wrote in message
Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a

flatbed
scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency adapter. Any
help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

Not really. Film scanners pull out much more information from film than
flatbed scanners can. Scan a slide on both, then compare the results.
There will be no contest--a film scanner will give much better results.

Silly further question maybe,but,I have noticed in my old slides that many
of them are not 100% flat in the frame. Does that matter with, resp. flatbed
and dedicated slide scanners?

Gerrit

Gregory Blank December 27th 06 01:19 AM

scanning colour slides

In article NGhkh.526319$5R2.237872@pd7urf3no,
gA wrote:

Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a
flatbed scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency
adapter. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

You need a flatbed scanner with a transparency adapter.
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.

Ockham's Razor December 27th 06 01:24 AM

scanning colour slides

gA wrote:

Is it possible to scan colour slides into a digital format, with a
flatbed scanner? I have a Umax Astra 4000U without a transparency
adapter. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
- gA

You need a flatbed scanner with a transparency adapter.

If he values the content of the slides he is scanning he will use a
dedicated slide/film strip scanner. There is a Nikon for about 600.00
that beats every flat bed scanner out there. For higher level work
there are even more capable scanners.

And, use Vue Scan software.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis