PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Monitor settings (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=130363)

newshound May 15th 17 11:45 AM

Monitor settings

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

FWIW the Duck's recent Yosemite pics look good to me, prior to the tweak
the gopher and river shots would have been a bit lacking in shadow detail.

I don't believe I have any significant visual impairment apart from
presbyopia commensurate with my age (68).

Any views or suggestions, short of adding a second monitor? I'm not a
sufficiently serious user for it being worth getting a proper calibrator.

nospam May 15th 17 02:18 PM

Monitor settings

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

FWIW the Duck's recent Yosemite pics look good to me, prior to the tweak
the gopher and river shots would have been a bit lacking in shadow detail.

I don't believe I have any significant visual impairment apart from
presbyopia commensurate with my age (68).

Any views or suggestions, short of adding a second monitor? I'm not a
sufficiently serious user for it being worth getting a proper calibrator.

undo whatever you did and don't use some random website to calibrate
your display again.

android May 15th 17 03:05 PM

Monitor settings

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

FWIW the Duck's recent Yosemite pics look good to me, prior to the tweak
the gopher and river shots would have been a bit lacking in shadow detail.

I don't believe I have any significant visual impairment apart from
presbyopia commensurate with my age (68).

Any views or suggestions, short of adding a second monitor? I'm not a
sufficiently serious user for it being worth getting a proper calibrator.

undo whatever you did and don't use some random website to calibrate
your display again.

I think that there is a tool in W10 for calibrating the display by
eye... Anyways: If you are spending more than Ł500 on your camera AND
display then:

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/V15870...x-rite/colormu
nki-smile

or something... If you're "savy" some extra features might be unleashed
from this and other calibration hardware by this free softwa

https://displaycal.net/#instruments
--
teleportation kills

Davoud May 15th 17 10:46 PM

Monitor settings

newshound:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

Your Mac's built-in calibration utility System Preferences Displays
will do an excellent job of calibrating your display.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

nospam May 15th 17 10:52 PM

Monitor settings

In article , Davoud
wrote:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

Your Mac's built-in calibration utility System Preferences Displays
will do an excellent job of calibrating your display.

that's better than a website, but neither is particularly good because
they rely on a human eyeball and not a calibrated sensor.

Savageduck[_3_] May 16th 17 01:30 AM

Monitor settings

On May 15, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

newshound:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

Your Mac's built-in calibration utility System Preferences Displays
will do an excellent job of calibrating your display.

Why did you assume “newshound” was using a Mac?
That is a pretty wild guess considering he is using aWindows NT edition of
Thunderbird.

Savageduck

android May 16th 17 05:01 AM

Monitor settings

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On May 15, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

newshound:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

Your Mac's built-in calibration utility System Preferences Displays
will do an excellent job of calibrating your display.

Why did you assume “newshound” was using a Mac?
That is a pretty wild guess considering he is using aWindows NT edition of
Thunderbird.

Windows has an equivalent... Hardware calibration is way better and
cheap enough though. Links are posted.
--
teleportation kills

newshound May 16th 17 12:05 PM

Monitor settings

On 5/15/2017 2:18 PM, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

FWIW the Duck's recent Yosemite pics look good to me, prior to the tweak
the gopher and river shots would have been a bit lacking in shadow detail.

I don't believe I have any significant visual impairment apart from
presbyopia commensurate with my age (68).

Any views or suggestions, short of adding a second monitor? I'm not a
sufficiently serious user for it being worth getting a proper calibrator.

undo whatever you did and don't use some random website to calibrate
your display again.

Not "some random website". With a bit of experience, it is not too
difficult to identify ones which seem to be covering the bases well. And
I picked two which were clearly independent, and got similar results
from both.

I'm currently using settings from the Win 10 tool. A little "brighter"
than my original manual settings, but better for text than the previous
sites.

newshound May 16th 17 12:17 PM

Monitor settings

On 5/15/2017 3:05 PM, android wrote:
In article ,

I think that there is a tool in W10 for calibrating the display by
eye... Anyways: If you are spending more than ÂŁ500 on your camera AND
display then:

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/V15870...x-rite/colormu
nki-smile

Thanks for the suggestion, and the price doesn't seem unreasonable, but
I have been using cameras for long enough to know that most of the nice
"must have" gadgets won't actually make any real difference.

I didn't know about the W10 tool, I am currently using the settings from
that.

newshound May 16th 17 12:20 PM

Monitor settings

On 5/16/2017 1:30 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On May 15, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

newshound:

I just tweaked my monitor settings using a couple of the websites with
"free" setup images and this has certainly improved my views of photos
from a wide variety of sources. However I'm now finding that text in
Thunderbird, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. is a bit pale and lacking in
contrast.

Your Mac's built-in calibration utility System Preferences Displays
will do an excellent job of calibrating your display.

Why did you assume “newshound” was using a Mac?
That is a pretty wild guess considering he is using aWindows NT edition of
Thunderbird.

I do *sometimes* use this monitor with a Mac, when using Affinity, so I
will try that next time. But I am not a heavy post-processor, for my
modest needs JPEGs straightened and cropped in Picassa, with perhaps a
touch of fill light or colour correction is enough, 99% of the time.