PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital ZLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Help Choosing Compact (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=103318)

savantcreative December 27th 08 07:39 PM

Help Choosing Compact

I shoot commercially with the 1DS Mark II and love it. I shoot everything raw. The problem is that I have 4 kids and never want to bring my rig w"flash bracket along because I am usually carrying someone or something heavy. I need to buy a compact yet high quality camera. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks.

dj_nme[_2_] December 28th 08 12:42 AM

Help Choosing Compact

savantcreative wrote:
I shoot commercially with the 1DS Mark II and love it. I shoot
everything raw. The problem is that I have 4 kids and never want to
bring my rig w"flash bracket along because I am usually carrying
someone or something heavy. I need to buy a compact yet high quality
camera. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks.

You might get more responses in rec.photo.digital
Only cross-posts and spam usually appear hear.
This newsgroup (r.p.digital.zlr) has had little traffic since the
initial flurry of posting after it was created and people realised that
after the Olympus e-20n there would never be any more ZLR cameras made.
I keep a subscription to this NG so that I can "do the right thing" and
steer newcomers to a more appropriate one.

David J Taylor[_7_] December 28th 08 08:41 AM

Help Choosing Compact

savantcreative wrote:
I shoot commercially with the 1DS Mark II and love it. I shoot
everything raw. The problem is that I have 4 kids and never want to
bring my rig w"flash bracket along because I am usually carrying
someone or something heavy. I need to buy a compact yet high quality
camera. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks.

In addition to my DSLR, I have the Panasonic TZ3:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

chosen for it's 28-280mm zoom, with image stabilisation, and compact size.
The more recent and current model is the TZ5:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

As with any camera, specifying your needs more closely, or actually
handling the camera in the shop, may help refine your choice.

Cheers,
David

Chris Malcolm[_2_] December 29th 08 12:17 PM

Help Choosing Compact

savantcreative wrote:

I shoot commercially with the 1DS Mark II and love it. I shoot
everything raw. The problem is that I have 4 kids and never want to
bring my rig w"flash bracket along because I am usually carrying
someone or something heavy. I need to buy a compact yet high quality
camera. Can anyone suggest anything?

Flash is very useful for freezing action of active children indoors
while getting enough light to get a good depth of field. So why not
invest in a powerful remotely triggered flash you can simply stand in
a corner and bounce off the ceiling? It would be handy if the camera
in hand had a built in flash you could use dialled down in power as a
fill in. That could optically trigger the big one.

--
Chris Malcolm