PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital ZLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=84903)

Wayne J. Cosshall August 20th 07 10:17 AM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

Hi All,

Canon's just announced the SX100 with a 10x zoom:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1073

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Photography and Art Forums http://www.dimagemaker.com/forums/index.php

David J Taylor[_4_] August 20th 07 10:27 AM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

Canon's just announced the SX100 with a 10x zoom:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1073

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks for the announcement, Wayne. It's a pity that the article doesn't
mention what the actual zoom range is, rather than "10x". A one-to-one
comparison with the excellent Panasonic Lumix TZ3 would be interesting.

David

David J Taylor[_4_] August 20th 07 10:47 AM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

Canon's just announced the SX100 with a 10x zoom:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1073

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks for the announcement, Wayne. It's a pity that the article
doesn't mention what the actual zoom range is, rather than "10x". A
one-to-one comparison with the excellent Panasonic Lumix TZ3 would
be interesting. David

36mm - 360mm

Wayne J. Cosshall

Thanks, Wayne. Ah, so no wide-angle extension, then. I discovered a
photo he

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07...nonsx100is.asp

and the camera is obviously not in the same class as the TZ3, with its
compact size and 28mm wide-angle:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

Probably sell on the brand name alone, of course!

Cheers,
David

ray August 20th 07 04:16 PM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:17:21 +1000, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Hi All,

Canon's just announced the SX100 with a 10x zoom:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1073

Cheers,

Wayne

So, just out of curiosity, how much does canon pay you?

Not Disclosed August 20th 07 04:41 PM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

ray wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:17:21 +1000, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Hi All,

Canon's just announced the SX100 with a 10x zoom:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1073

Cheers,

Wayne

So, just out of curiosity, how much does canon pay you?

And how is it improved over the 12X S5 is?

Agreed he's employed by Canon.

WOW! Live View on the 40D I can now hold a dSLR with a 70~200/2.8 IS out
at arm's length. Damn good thing it has stabilization.

This is what happens when you let the marketing weasels dictate design.

Wayne J. Cosshall August 20th 07 09:25 PM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

OMG what is wrong with you people. Canon or Nikon or whatever pay me
nothing. I treat DIMi the same way I did the print photo mags I edited
for the previous 10 years, put out interesting content, hopefully before
others do.

measekite August 20th 07 11:57 PM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

It is missing a critical feature so I would never recommend it to
anyone. There is no viewfinder. That said I think it will sell well.
Most of the snap shooters I see with digital camera take their pictures
with their arms outstretched, viewfinder or not.

measekite August 20th 07 11:59 PM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

David J Taylor wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Hi All, Canon's just announced the SX100 with a 10x zoom: http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1073 Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the announcement, Wayne. It's a pity that the article doesn't mention what the actual zoom range is, rather than "10x". A one-to-one comparison with the excellent Panasonic Lumix TZ3 would be interesting. David

The views I have read on the TZ3 bear the same criticism as the FZ8.  That is excessive noise at lower ISO or in dim light and the compensation used that causes smearing and loss of detail.  I am curious about the soon to be released FZ18.  I expect the reviews to be similar to the FZ8.

measekite August 21st 07 12:02 AM

Canon SX100 Ultra-zoom

Not Disclosed wrote:
ray wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:17:21 +1000, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Hi All,

Canon's just announced the SX100 with a 10x zoom:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=1073

Cheers,

Wayne

So, just out of curiosity, how much does canon pay you?

And how is it improved over the 12X S5 is?

Agreed he's employed by Canon.

WOW! Live View on the 40D I can now hold a dSLR with a 70~200/2.8 IS
out at arm's length. Damn good thing it has stabilization.

This is what happens when you let the marketing weasels dictate design.

That feature is handy when using a tripod.