PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Apple makes Macs run Windows XP - (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=60020)

[email protected] April 5th 06 11:06 PM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

Interesting topic.....

Discussion on!!!!!

Just dying to see all you ms/apple freaks go nuts lol

http://www.usenet.com

bmoag April 6th 06 02:50 AM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.
I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share Apple is hardly a
raisin on a pie chart.
And Apple is likely to lose the suit brought against it by Apple Corp in
England, which will have worldwide repercussions for its sole remaining
viable business, Itunes/Ipod. The French also want to gut Itunes.
Ipod/Itunes could lose control of the entire European market which is larger
than the US market.
Do you have Apple Computer stock in your portfolio?
Not even Apple is publishing software for its new Mactel OS and few, if any,
peripheral manufacturers are writing drivers for the Mactel OS.
This is not a flame: You have to be naive or stupid at this point to buy one
of the Mactel boxes and think you can get useful work out of it. Apple is
hardly even advertising the things anymore. You are getting mediocre Intel
hardware at an inflated Apple price with the Apple warranty that is worse
than most no-name pc clone providers give. There is no useful software for
that OS and almost no drivers for existing or new peripherals. Existing
Apple OS programs run via an incredibly lame kludge.
Apple should be where Microsoft is now but Steve Jobs has to be considered
one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not opening up the
platform the way Microsoft and Intel did and for not switching to the x86
CPU years ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue him and the Pepsi Cola
guy that followed Jobs for gross mismanagement of what should have been one
of the most valuable corporate assets of all time.

nellybly April 6th 06 06:20 AM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

In article , bmoag
wrote:

Steve Jobs has to be considered
one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not opening up the
platform the way Microsoft and Intel did and for not switching to the x86
CPU years ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue him

Yes, anyone who invested in Apple in the last 10 years or so are really
hurting right now, LOL!
NB

J. Clarke April 6th 06 08:07 AM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

Interesting topic.....

Discussion on!!!!!

Just dying to see all you ms/apple freaks go nuts lol

What's "interesting" about it? XP has been running on Intel chips for
years--what would be interesting would be Apple finding a way to _prevent_
it from running.

http://www.usenet.com

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Bumper April 6th 06 08:31 AM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

In my thirty years of photography and twenty years of computers I don't
believe I have ever read anything from anybody who knew less on a
subject and was hell bent on proving it.

Steve Jobs, buys Pixar for ten million and sells it for six billion,
yep, all the signs of "the dumbest f*iug businessman"

And just what is a f*iug anyway?

Oh well, back to lurking.

fishfry April 6th 06 09:08 AM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

In article ,
"bmoag" wrote:

Apple should be where Microsoft is now but Steve Jobs has to be considered
one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not opening up the
platform the way Microsoft and Intel did

Common wisdom, but arguable.

It was not Microsoft and Intel that opened the architecture -- this
proves the point I'm about to make.

It was IBM who opened up the architecture. But IBM didn't make all the
money from this decision. Microsoft and Intel did. That's the whole
point.

Apple's a hardware company. Allowing the Mac OS to run on anybody's
hardware would put them out of the hardware business.

Maybe they could have made money licensing the OS, maybe not. But having
a vertically integrated, proprietary HW/SW platform is an advantage when
trying to build a reliable computer that's easy for consumers to deal
with.

Can you imagine if clone automakers could hook up a Chevy chassis to a
Mitsubishi engine with Toyota brakes and a Ford interior? It wouldn't
work. The reliability issues would be causing fatal accidents left and
right.

When Apple did license clones in the 1990's, the competing hardware
makers took money right out of Apple's pocket. That's why when Jobs came
back to the company, the first thing he had to do was stop licensing the
OS, in order to save Apple from going out of business.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou April 6th 06 11:43 AM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

"nellybly" wrote in message
In article , bmoag
wrote:

Steve Jobs has to be considered
one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not opening up the
platform the way Microsoft and Intel did and for not switching to the x86
CPU years ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue him

Yes, anyone who invested in Apple in the last 10 years or so are really
hurting right now, LOL!
NB

He made up for that mistake with the IPOD.

Stan Horwitz April 6th 06 01:05 PM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

Interesting topic.....

Discussion on!!!!!

Just dying to see all you ms/apple freaks go nuts lol

I have no idea what an "ms/apple freak" is, but I own a stock MacBook
Pro and I used Apple's Boot Camp utility to install Windows XP Pro last
night. It works well, so far, but I have not had enough time to put its
through its paces. I do not intend to use Windows XP for anything
involving my photography.

Stan Horwitz April 6th 06 01:13 PM

"bmoag" wrote:

Even Dvorak has predicted Apple will switch to XP or Vista.

Dvorak makes lots of predictions and who knows, one of them may actually
prove to be true, but that prediction is not one of them. Dvorak works
in the mode where if he throws enough **** against his office wall, some
of it may eventually stick.

I personally think Apple is finally exiting the computer business, which
everyone thought happened 10 years ago. At 4% market share Apple is hardly a
raisin on a pie chart.

Yawn! The reality is, Apple's finances are the envy of all the other
computer manufacturers, and its been that way even before Apple entered
the mp3 player market.

And Apple is likely to lose the suit brought against it by Apple Corp in
England, which will have worldwide repercussions for its sole remaining
viable business, Itunes/Ipod. The French also want to gut Itunes.
Ipod/Itunes could lose control of the entire European market which is larger
than the US market.

The writing is on the wall. One of two things will happen. Apple (the
computer company) will win or lose that litigation. If Apple (the
computer company) loses, I am sure the two Apple companies will simply
strike some kind of license agreement where money will change hands and
life will go on for all concerned.

Do you have Apple Computer stock in your portfolio?

Not me. I work in the computer field, but I refuse to invest my money in
it. I do know some people who have invested in Apple (the computer
company). In deference to them, I watch Apple's stock price. Note that
since yesterday when this news about Boot Camp came out, Apple's share
price rose. Only time will tell if the price continues to rise.

Not even Apple is publishing software for its new Mactel OS and few, if any,
peripheral manufacturers are writing drivers for the Mactel OS.

That's simply not true. Go to http://www.apple.com and you can see tons
of software that Apple is publishing for its OS. I own some Apple
software such as iPhoto and iWork and it works fine on my new Intel-based
Mac.

This is not a flame: You have to be naive or stupid at this point to buy one
of the Mactel boxes and think you can get useful work out of it.

Not so. With a Mac, you now get the best of both worlds. You get Apple's
first rate customer service, its amazing OS, and the option to run
Windows XP. I am hard pressed to see anything bad about that situation.
Than again, I traffic in facts, which you seem to avoid.

Apple is hardly even advertising the things anymore. You are getting mediocre Intel
hardware at an inflated Apple price with the Apple warranty that is worse
than most no-name pc clone providers give. There is no useful software for
that OS and almost no drivers for existing or new peripherals. Existing
Apple OS programs run via an incredibly lame kludge.

Again, wrong, but you have already shown that you have no clue about what
you are talking about.

Daniel Silevitch April 6th 06 02:04 PM

Apple makes Macs run Windows XP -

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 01:20:42 -0400, nellybly wrote:
In article , bmoag
wrote:

Steve Jobs has to be considered
one of the dumbest f*iug businessman of all time for not opening up the
platform the way Microsoft and Intel did and for not switching to the x86
CPU years ago. Its a wonder shareholders did not sue him

Yes, anyone who invested in Apple in the last 10 years or so are really
hurting right now, LOL!

Apple's stock went up something like $6 yesterday after that
announcement.

-dms, who's thinking about putting XP on his MacBook (for games, mainly)