PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Night Photography (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38)

Tom Phillips January 25th 04 07:30 PM

Night Photography

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/25/2004 3:19 PM spake thus:

I am a student at Utah State University, and am doing a portfoloio on night
photography. I have always been mezmerized by the bright lights against a
black night sky, and being able to see what things are.

I was interested in getting some ideas for good subjects for my photographs.

I would also be grateful for any technical pointers on exposure times and
printing, to come out with clean, detailed photographs.

How about a slightly better idea of just what it is you want to take pictures
of? Streets by streetlight? Storefronts? Brightly-lit downtown districts?

So far as exposure times go, any decent light meter ought to at least get you
well within the ballpark. You do have a good tripod, don't you?

I normally get paid for tutoring. Come to think of it, tuition has already been
paid...

[email protected] January 25th 04 11:19 PM

Night Photography

I am a student at Utah State University, and am doing a portfoloio on night
photography. I have always been mezmerized by the bright lights against a
black night sky, and being able to see what things are.

I was interested in getting some ideas for good subjects for my photographs.

I would also be grateful for any technical pointers on exposure times and
printing, to come out with clean, detailed photographs.

Thanks

Curtis M
Utah State University
Logan Utah

David Nebenzahl January 26th 04 01:28 AM

Night Photography

--
Focus: A very overrated feature.

- From Marcy Merrill's lexicon at Junk Store Cameras
(
http://merrillphoto.com/JunkStoreCameras.htm)

fbo January 26th 04 07:05 AM

Night Photography

schreef in bericht ...

I am a student at Utah State University, and am doing a portfoloio on

night
photography. I have always been mezmerized by the bright lights against a
black night sky, and being able to see what things are.

I was interested in getting some ideas for good subjects for my

photographs.

I would also be grateful for any technical pointers on exposure times and
printing, to come out with clean, detailed photographs.

You can find an article (as a pdf-file) about night photography on the site
of Wolfgang Mothes.
The article is that good that's worth to do the translation...

http://www.wolfgangmothes.de/

Kind regards
Fred

Thanks

Curtis M
Utah State University
Logan Utah

Tom Phillips January 26th 04 10:52 AM

Night Photography

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

wrote:

I am a student at Utah State University, and am doing a portfoloio on night
photography. I have always been mezmerized by the bright lights against a
black night sky, and being able to see what things are.

I was interested in getting some ideas for good subjects for my photographs.

1 . A person stepping into the circle of light thrown by a streetlight
2. Recreating Edward Hopper's painting "Nighthawks"
3. Anything in illuminated fog
4. Train stations
5. Mannequins in a store window

That's maybe a C's worth of suggestions. For an A grade he probably needs at
least a 12 suggestion portfolio...

Jan T January 26th 04 11:03 AM

Night Photography

I did some experementing lately in order to find a way to overcome the huge
contrasts in night scenes.
I underdevelopped the film by some 25% for this purpose and compensated for
the loss of film speed by overexposing by abt. 2 stops.
Have a look at the result at http://home.tiscali.be/jant/04090301_75dpi.jpg
(or http://home.tiscali.be/jant/04090301_300dpi.jpg for larger image)

Film was Tri-X Prof 320 in D-76 at IE 100 and -25% dev. time.

Good luck!

Jan

schreef in bericht ...

Sam G January 26th 04 12:19 PM

Night Photography

Check out this informative site--look at some of the tech tips and
galleries. If you use a light meter, compensate for reciprocity failure
(may need as much as 2-4 times the exposure your meter specifies; in the
beginning, bracket a lot), and I would definitely agree with decreasing
development times to reduce the contast.

Good luck, Sam

Sam G January 26th 04 12:23 PM

Night Photography

Sorry--the site is:
http://www.thenocturnes.com/

Sam

Jorge Omar January 26th 04 12:49 PM

Night Photography

I'm not very skilled in night photos, but I had good results with TX @
1250 in Diafine.
Since Diafine do a lot of compensation, highlights (street lights?) are
not blown up, and the underexposure (true film speed is still about 400)
gives what to me is a 'night' look (dark shadows).

Jorge

Nicholas O. Lindan January 26th 04 02:40 PM

Night Photography

wrote in message ...

I am a student at Utah State University, and am doing a portfoloio on night
photography...

Tony Spadaro's site:

http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/noct/nn0000.html

May give you some ideas.

'O. Winston Link' did a good job of lighting up the night --
assuming the night happened to have a locomotive in it. There were
a flurry of web pages of his work after he died in 2001 but
most seem to have gone off line.

Search "O. Winston Link" in google for a selection of sites.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio