PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   [SI] New Mandates. (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=123191)

PeterN May 19th 12 02:00 AM

[SI] New Mandates.

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
to improvise.

Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

--
Peter

PeterN May 19th 12 04:24 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

On 5/18/2012 10:13 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:00:29 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
to improvise.

Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
macro gear.

Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he
wanted to shoot macro.

--
Peter

Frank S May 19th 12 06:44 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

wrote:

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
to improvise.
Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
macro gear.

Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he wanted
to shoot macro.

While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by macro or
in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the spirit of the
mandate, my view.

--
Frank ess

Alan Browne May 19th 12 06:56 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

wrote:

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
to improvise.
Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
macro gear.

Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he
wanted to shoot macro.

While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by
macro or in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the
spirit of the mandate, my view.

I'd agree.

--
"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
-Samuel Clemens.

Savageduck[_3_] May 19th 12 08:46 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

On 2012-05-19 10:56:31 -0700, Alan Browne

wrote:

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
to improvise.
Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
macro gear.

Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he
wanted to shoot macro.

While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by
macro or in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the
spirit of the mandate, my view.

I'd agree.

18 inches close enough?

Savageduck

Alan Browne May 19th 12 09:51 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

On 2012-05-19 15:44 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 13:56:31 -0400, Alan Browne

wrote:

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
to improvise.
Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
macro gear.

Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he
wanted to shoot macro.

While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by
macro or in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the
spirit of the mandate, my view.

I'd agree.

How do you enlarge a portion of an image? You can crop down to a
portion of an image, but not enlarge it.

It's all about presentation. Let's use the SI's max landscape
presentation as an example: 1200x800.

When I take a photo for the SI I may crop out part of the frame to
remove distracting stuff or to improve the composition - but the amount
cut away is usually quite low. At worst it might be 25% in one or both
dimensions removed (up to 50% of the surface).

Then re-size for presentation at 1200x800.

So, 50% (or more) of the originally viewfinder framed image remains.

eg: "As I saw it" through the viewfinder.

BUT:

My camera is 6000 x 4000 pixels. If I directly crop a section out
without re-sizing to 1200 x 800 it is the same as a 5x zoom for the
presentation format.

In that case I've removed 96% of the original pixels and "zoomed in"
considerably for a given presentation size.

A mere 4% of the original in-frame image remains "as I saw it" through
the VF.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have an 18/55 or 18/270 lens (as I
do), you shoot as close as that lens can focus, and you crop down to a
portion of that image...you're legal.

I'd propose that the litmus test here is "how well will it print" before
the cropped section was resized for the SI. My example above (4%) would
not print very nicely at 8x5.3 inches.

The guideline should perhaps be something like: before resizing for the
SI, would the cropped section print to 12x8 inches and look good?

(In photoshop one can "View printed size" assuming the screen pitch is
entered and the print pitch is set).

Nikon has a "macro" setting,
but it isn't macro and I never use it. Real macro is produced by the
lens used (or the lens and an extension tube) and not by a mode
setting.

If the "macro" is an in-camera thing, then it's not macro; if it's a
zoom lens with a "macro" mode then it's not macro but very-closeup.

Alan Browne May 19th 12 09:54 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

On 2012-05-19 10:56:31 -0700, Alan Browne

wrote:

[...]

I think we're looking for a reasonable proportion of the image as seen
through the VF. See my recent (minute ago) reply to Tony.

Note that a close up of a bee and a closeup of an elephant have entirely
different results where distance is concerned.

PeterN May 20th 12 01:31 AM

[SI] New Mandates.

wrote:

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
to improvise.
Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
macro gear.

Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he
wanted to shoot macro.

While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by
macro or in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the
spirit of the mandate, my view.

It seems to me that the technique is immaterial. If one visualizes the
image prior to capture, why should the lack of equipment matter.

--
Peter

Frank S May 20th 12 09:13 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

wrote:

[...]

Well, sure. Why should there be mandates at all? My principal objection to
some past exhibitions has been that the author didn't seem to acknowledge
the mandate at all, just chose an image, barely identifiable in some cases
as a photograph, and set it before the assembly.

On another but related tack: I'd say that a frame-filling or larger image of
a jet plane in flight or a racing car at speed might well qualify as "close
up" to ordinary mortals with normal fear reflexes.

--
Frank ess

PeterN May 20th 12 09:41 PM

[SI] New Mandates.

wrote:

[...]

Probably guilty, though I admit to stretching the subject. For me
photography is a relaxing hobby. The mandate got me out shooting for
about 15 minutes today.

On another but related tack: I'd say that a frame-filling or larger
image of a jet plane in flight or a racing car at speed might well
qualify as "close up" to ordinary mortals with normal fear reflexes.

Of course! "Close up" is an imprecise, relative term. What might be far
away for your racing car, would be much too close for shooting an
explosion. (depending of course on the size of the explosion.

--
Peter