PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Canon G9 vs SX100 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=87217)

H.S. October 16th 07 08:51 PM

Canon G9 vs SX100

Hello,

Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.

I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
resolution of course).

-HS

[email protected] October 16th 07 09:13 PM

Canon G9 vs SX100

On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." wrote:
Hello,

Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.

I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
resolution of course).

-HS

G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor
(7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
sensor in most compact P&S cameras.

H.S. October 16th 07 09:21 PM

Canon G9 vs SX100

wrote:
On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." wrote:
Hello,

Do the Canon G9 and SX100 have any notable technical differences in
their sensors, photo contrast, optical distortion, dynamic range, etc. I
wonder if their side by side photos comparing the results.

I realize they are quite different models. I am just wondering if the
G9's sensor is significantly different than the other's (except the
resolution of course).

-HS

G9 has 1/1.7" sensor (9.5x7.6 mm). SX100 has smaller 1/2.5" sensor

hmm .. so that would result in lower noise level in G9 I presume. Also,
I wonder what does sensor size do to the contrast and dynamic range of
the captured image -- or do they depend on the quality of a sensor?

-HS

(7.2x5.8mm). In area, the sensor in G(9 is roughly 1.7 times larger
than the SX100. The 1/2.5" size appears to be the general size of
sensor in most compact P&S cameras.

Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) October 16th 07 11:34 PM

Canon G9 vs SX100

H.S. wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." wrote:
[...]

More info at:

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...rmance.summary

Roger

H.S. October 17th 07 03:02 AM

Canon G9 vs SX100

H.S. wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 16, 2:51 pm, "H.S." wrote:
[...]

Great sites! Thanks a ton for the references, they are a nice read. They
clarified many doubts I had earlier.

regards,
-HS

Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) October 17th 07 06:33 AM

Canon G9 vs SX100

Sent to rec.photo.digital