PhotoBanter.com

-   -   How to undamage the camera? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131119)

micky January 20th 18 07:48 PM

How to undamage the camera?

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

nospam January 20th 18 07:54 PM

How to undamage the camera?

In article , micky
wrote:

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

wait until it's room temperature and hope that the lcd didn't freeze
while it was in the car. you will probably need to recharge the
battery.

Alan Browne[_2_] January 20th 18 08:04 PM

How to undamage the camera?

On 2018-01-20 14:48, micky wrote:
It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Would have been best to put it into a plastic bag before bringing it in
so condensation wouldn't form.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

Read the manual for the temperature range. Check the battery.

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102

micky January 21st 18 03:44 AM

How to undamage the camera?

In rec.photo.digital, on Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:04:59 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2018-01-20 14:48, micky wrote:
It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Would have been best to put it into a plastic bag before bringing it in
so condensation wouldn't form.

Oops.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

Read the manual for the temperature range.

The manual gives an operating range of 32 to 104F

Doesn't say anything about storing the camera, so I guess almost
anything is okay.

Check the battery.

Waited 5 hours, until room temp. Camera seems to work fine. My battery
was hard to find just a year ago, so I bought two spares, all of which I
used on the last trip. If this battery is damaged, still have two
others. Going again in February so it's a good thing I found the
camera.

Thanks.

Peter Jason January 21st 18 09:06 PM

How to undamage the camera?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:48:10 -0500, micky
wrote:

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

I have dried out equipment (calculators, timers) by putting these in
an oven overnight at 35-40degC.

Savageduck[_3_] January 21st 18 10:14 PM

How to undamage the camera?

On Jan 21, 2018, Peter Jason wrote
(in ):

wrote:

It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

I have dried out equipment (calculators, timers) by putting these in
an oven overnight at 35-40degC.

No! No! No!

Savageduck