PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Compact cameras with 640X480 with ulimited recording times that use Compact Flash? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20735)

Lee Chen November 29th 04 08:50 AM

Compact cameras with 640X480 with ulimited recording times that use Compact Flash?

I've done a bit of research on this, and it seems like all the compact
cameras that allow 640x480 with ulimited recording times a

pentax 43wr
fujifilm F700 (and others like 710)
various sony models, P8, etc
Canon PowerShot S1 IS

There's also the Sanyo Fisher FVD-C1. But the one thing with all
these cameras is that none of them use compact flash. Meaning the
largest media available is a 1 gb sd card or memory stick. It doesn't
seem like the 2 gb sd card is stock anywhere yet. Ah, there is a 2
gb memory stick, but it's really expensive at $300.

So, is there a camera out there that shoots movies in 640x480 with
unlimited recording times that uses compact flash?

Thanks,

Lee

Mike November 29th 04 09:25 AM

"Lee Chen" wrote in message m...
I've done a bit of research on this, and it seems like all the compact
cameras that allow 640x480 with ulimited recording times a

pentax 43wr
fujifilm F700 (and others like 710)
various sony models, P8, etc
Canon PowerShot S1 IS

There's also the Sanyo Fisher FVD-C1. But the one thing with all
these cameras is that none of them use compact flash. Meaning the
largest media available is a 1 gb sd card or memory stick. It doesn't
seem like the 2 gb sd card is stock anywhere yet. Ah, there is a 2
gb memory stick, but it's really expensive at $300.

So, is there a camera out there that shoots movies in 640x480 with
unlimited recording times that uses compact flash?

The Canon S1 IS uses standard Type 1 Compact Flash. But video
clips are limited to either 1 hour or 1GB per clip, whichever occurs
first. At maximum size and quality that's a maximum length of about
8.5 minutes.

If you want longer videos, that's what video cameras are for.

JB November 29th 04 09:39 AM

"Lee Chen" wrote in message
m...
I've done a bit of research on this, and it seems like all the compact
cameras that allow 640x480 with ulimited recording times a

pentax 43wr
fujifilm F700 (and others like 710)
various sony models, P8, etc
Canon PowerShot S1 IS

There's also the Sanyo Fisher FVD-C1. But the one thing with all
these cameras is that none of them use compact flash. Meaning the
largest media available is a 1 gb sd card or memory stick. It doesn't
seem like the 2 gb sd card is stock anywhere yet. Ah, there is a 2
gb memory stick, but it's really expensive at $300.

So, is there a camera out there that shoots movies in 640x480 with
unlimited recording times that uses compact flash?

The Canon S1 IS *does* use Compact Flash and Microdrives. We use a 4GB one
for video with no problems.

HV

bob November 29th 04 05:20 PM

(Lee Chen) wrote in news:a6e6d86d.0411290050.ae58351
@posting.google.com:

So, is there a camera out there that shoots movies in 640x480 with
unlimited recording times that uses compact flash?

It sounds like you really want a camcorder.

Bob

Matt Ion November 30th 04 03:15 AM

Lee, Check out JVC's new Evrio line of "digital media" cameras. It's
essentially a CF-based camcorder that ships with a 4GB microdrive. JVC
claims up to 90 minutes of DVD-quality MPEG-2 video (300 minutes max) or
up to 10,000 2MP (1600x1200) stills on a 4GB card.

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

Lee Chen December 1st 04 05:34 PM

Matt Ion wrote in message news:8BRqd.379050$nl.343751@pd7tw3no...
Lee, Check out JVC's new Evrio line of "digital media" cameras. It's
essentially a CF-based camcorder that ships with a 4GB microdrive. JVC
claims up to 90 minutes of DVD-quality MPEG-2 video (300 minutes max) or
up to 10,000 2MP (1600x1200) stills on a 4GB card.

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

Interesting. The extra resolution that the Evrio adds certainly would
be nice, but it's not worth $1000 to me. If it were $600/700 I'd
consider it, since it includes a 4 gb microdrive. But it's basically
a more expensive (with more features) version of the Sanyo Fisher
FVD-C1.

Speaking of the Sanyo Fisher, I really think the Sanyo Fisher is
overpriced. The only real difference between it and the Pentax 43wr
is that it compresses the video - and justifies the $300 price
difference? The Pentax even takes higher resolution photos. If the
Pentax just added mpeg-2 compression, that'd pretty much be all I
need.

I know the new Sony DSC-M1 has mpeg-4, but at $500 + $300 for a 1 gb
memory stick pro duo card, that's simply too much.

Yesterday I bought the Pentax 43WR and a 1 gb SD card. $375 total.
Taking video clips of 1 gb in size works just fine. That's about 15
min of footage at 640x480 30 fps. The one slightly annoying thing is
that the usb transfer is quite slow - takes around 30 min to transfer
1 gb. Too bad the 2 gb sd card isn't available anywhere yet.

Also, others have complained about the sound, and I agree it's not
great. It's very good at picking up mechanical noises from the
slightest touch on the camera.

Lee