PhotoBanter.com

-   -   photoshop trim steps (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131861)

Viking December 5th 18 07:10 PM

photoshop trim steps

New to photoshop.
Is there a way to make an elliptical trim fewer steps?

Open the image
Convert the background layer to a normal layer0
Select the marquee tool with the right mouse button
Change the shape to an ellipse
Draw the ellipse
Invert the selection with select inverse
Delete the inverse selection with the delete key
Unselect the selection with select deselect
Trim transparent area with image trim ok
Save the file with file save

Keyboard sequence
Control O
M draw
Control shift I
Control D
Image trim enter
Control S

Most of the time I can skip the layer change.
A repeat can also skip marquee tool selection steps.
I can skip the deselect if I use edit cut instead of the delete key.

For repeats it shortens to
Draw ellipse
Control shift I
Control X
Image trim enter

Can I assign the trim command to a key?

Savageduck[_3_] December 5th 18 10:26 PM

photoshop trim steps

On Dec 5, 2018, Viking wrote
(in article ):

[...]

The simplest way you can do that is to record the above steps as a Photoshop
Action.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

Savageduck

Ron C December 5th 18 10:55 PM

photoshop trim steps

On 12/5/2018 4:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

I've never used trim, but I believe what he's doing can be done
quite simply using "refine edges" and outputting to
new layer with layer mask.
Thus:
~~
Open file
Select marquee tool
make ellipse
click refine edges
output to new layer w/layer mask
[...]
~~
Am I missing something?
--
==
Later...

Savageduck[_3_] December 5th 18 11:11 PM

photoshop trim steps

On Dec 5, 2018, Ron C wrote
(in ):

[...]

No.

The thing to remember when working to a goal with Photoshop (and some of the
other higher level editing software) is, there are usually more than one
method/technique of reaching that goal, and not everybody uses the same
workflow to achieve the same end result.

Savageduck

PeterN[_7_] December 9th 18 07:31 PM

photoshop trim steps

On 12/5/2018 4:55 PM, Ron C wrote:
[...]

Do you have an older version of PS? Unless I am missing something, the
refine edge tool in PS has been replaced with "select and mask."

--
PeterN

Ron C December 9th 18 08:13 PM

photoshop trim steps

On 12/9/2018 1:31 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 12/5/2018 4:55 PM, Ron C wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm living in the past with CS6 .. however a little Google searching
turned up this:
~~
But many Photoshop users remain upset that Refine Edge was taken from them,
still convinced that Refine Edge worked better. So, Adobe now admits to
a little
secret. As it turns out, Refine Edge was never actually removed from
Photoshop.
Adobe simply removed any obvious way to access it. [...]
~~

I really hate when they move/remove/re-name stuff with each new update.
I took a Photoshop class some years back, the instructor normally used
CS6 but the school had CS5 .. she was often telling the class procedures
in CS6 terms that didn't work in CS5 .. then she'd have to take class time
to figure out how to re-map the procedure to CS5. :-(
--
==
Later...