PhotoBanter.com

-   -   A Few Shots From South Africa (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131218)

Savageduck[_3_] February 28th 18 05:49 AM

A Few Shots From South Africa

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

On Friday, 23 February 2018 13:07:20 UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:

I like the shots, the colour is well-saturated. In my opinion, my favorite
is the boats and hillside shot because the hillside and boats kind of fuse to
make one geometric triangle that dominates the shot.

Yes but the boats all have a blue hue from the sea and sky reflections,
if I'm referring to the same one as you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97rkfdp242k3eb6/_DSF0302.jpg

Surely this can be corrected post-processing

I have to agree, the boats do seem to be a bit too blue. As I have said
elsewhere in the thread, I am still on the road in South Africa, and I
pretty much posted quick edits using my iPad. That said, here is another
rendition with a selective temp adjustment to the boats.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3pv4venzqa88iz/_DSF0302e1.jpg

Savageduck

android February 28th 18 07:45 AM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

On Friday, 23 February 2018 13:07:20 UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:

I like the shots, the colour is well-saturated. In my opinion, my favorite
is the boats and hillside shot because the hillside and boats kind of fuse to
make one geometric triangle that dominates the shot.

Yes but the boats all have a blue hue from the sea and sky reflections,
if I'm referring to the same one as you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97rkfdp242k3eb6/_DSF0302.jpg

Surely this can be corrected post-processing

I have to agree, the boats do seem to be a bit too blue. As I have said
elsewhere in the thread, I am still on the road in South Africa, and I
pretty much posted quick edits using my iPad. That said, here is another
rendition with a selective temp adjustment to the boats.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3pv4venzqa88iz/_DSF0302e1.jpg

You haven't got that vacation thing down right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwiIYoJx5Es
--
teleportation kills

Savageduck[_3_] February 28th 18 08:05 AM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

Not exactly. ;-)

With 10 hours difference between California, and Cape Town, I find myself
awake at odd times. So what is a guy with a camera, and WiFi connection to
do?

Savageduck

android February 28th 18 08:13 AM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

Cruse? Geting that Southern Cross on file? I've got to understand that
the opportunities for astro are amazing in southern Africa. :-))
--
teleportation kills

Savageduck[_3_] February 28th 18 08:38 AM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

The place to go to get the best, clear night Southern sky shots would be
about 150 miles ( 242km) North of Cape Town at Sutherland. That is also
where SALT, the South African Large Telescope (the largest in the Southern
hemisphere), and the South African Astronomical Observatory are located.

https://goo.gl/images/DrHiwx

Savageduck

android February 28th 18 09:41 AM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

Sure, happy days! Spectrography is very interesting... The real Hubble
killer would be this one though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Southern_Observatory#Very_Large_Telescope

--
teleportation kills

android February 28th 18 02:04 PM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

Until the James Webb Space Telescope comes online in 2019.

Then it will be a Hubble killer still! "The VLTI can achieve an angular
resolution of milliarcseconds, equivalent to the ability to see the
headlights of a car on the moon." :-))
--
teleportation kills

-hh February 28th 18 03:57 PM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

There's also a lot of darkness up in nearby Namibia too...

-hh

Savageduck[_3_] February 28th 18 04:38 PM

On 2018-02-28 04:49:03 +0000, Savageduck said:

m-m wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

Yup! Namibia would be a good option for astrophotography, and other
photo-ops such as wildlife, landscapes, and some interesting old mining
ghost towns in the diamond fields of the Skeleton Coast.

The last time I visited Namibia was in 1983, and there have been
considerable changes since then, but it doesn’t take much to find yourself
in the wilderness.

Savageduck

android February 28th 18 05:34 PM

On 2018-02-28 15:38:22 +0000, Savageduck said:

The last time I visited Namibia was in 1983, and there have been
considerable changes since then

I'd say that you are correct in that! :-))
--
teleportation kills