PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Walk in the woods (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=123866)

Alan Browne July 21st 12 09:09 PM

Walk in the woods

As threatened earlier I abandoned my post and took a walk with my SO.
Brought my camera, tripod and backpack with a bunch of lenses. Forgot
my water. Wasn't too bad in the woods, however.

Also tried a "natural" mosquito repellant (as we're repelled by the
toxicity of DEET), a "citronelle" (lemon oil). This is potent stuff. A
few drops spread out over exposed skin is all you need. Seems to have
worked well.

My SO was hopeful to find some mushrooms. It finally rained hard
earlier this week so the prospects were good. Alas, very few to be
found and none that we'd want to eat.

But she did spot a fair sized spider (I believe it's a wolf spider):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3za7t4hf0...20721_0009.jpg

This guy was about 2.5 - 3 inches leg span. As I moved to the side to
get another shot he dropped out of sight.

Also found some Indian Pipes but not in great shape. I'd never noticed
them around here before. I'll shoot some in a few days (there are some
fresh ones sprouting). Two varieties. One white (similar to these that
I shot in VA a few years ago:
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6249664-lg.jpg

and others were more yellow. (called "pinesap" but related).

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Alan Browne July 22nd 12 02:12 PM

Walk in the woods

On 2012-07-21 16:09 , Alan Browne wrote:

But she did spot a fair sized spider (I believe it's a wolf spider):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3za7t4hf0...20721_0009.jpg

This guy was about 2.5 - 3 inches leg span. As I moved to the side to
get another shot he dropped out of sight.

Turns out it's a "Fishing spider".

Robert Coe July 25th 12 12:43 AM

Walk in the woods

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 16:09:09 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
:
[...]

Wolf spiders require a modelling fee of at least one cockroach (or five
Japanese beetles).

Bob

Robert Coe July 25th 12 12:45 AM

Walk in the woods

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 09:12:15 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
: On 2012-07-21 16:09 , Alan Browne wrote:
:
: But she did spot a fair sized spider (I believe it's a wolf spider):
:
: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3za7t4hf0...20721_0009.jpg
:
: This guy was about 2.5 - 3 inches leg span. As I moved to the side to
: get another shot he dropped out of sight.
:
: Turns out it's a "Fishing spider".

Same modelling fee as the wolf spider, except that a 2" minnow can be
substituted for the cockroach.

Bob

Alan Browne July 25th 12 12:52 AM

Walk in the woods

wrote:
:
[...]

I think he saw that I wasn't paying a fee and that's why he dropped out
of sight.

Alan Browne July 25th 12 01:51 AM

Walk in the woods

wrote:
: On 2012-07-21 16:09 , Alan Browne wrote:
:
: But she did spot a fair sized spider (I believe it's a wolf spider):
:
: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3za7t4hf0...20721_0009.jpg
:
: This guy was about 2.5 - 3 inches leg span. As I moved to the side to
: get another shot he dropped out of sight.
:
: Turns out it's a "Fishing spider".

Same modelling fee as the wolf spider, except that a 2" minnow can be
substituted for the cockroach.

From the Dolomedes Wikipedia article:

Species parasitic on the spiders include a wasp of the Pompilidae family
that stings the spider to paralyse it before carrying it off and laying
an egg in its abdomen. The larvae of the wasp hatch and proceed to eat
the spider from the inside out. One escape technique the spiders use is
to disappear beneath the surface tension of the water. However some
wasps counter the disappearing trick by going into the water to sting
the spider and drag them out of the water.