PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Nikon SB-600 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=133146)

Eric Stevens May 9th 21 06:16 AM

Nikon SB-600

A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

Eric Stevens

Alan Browne[_2_] May 9th 21 04:47 PM

Nikon SB-600

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

Did you try the flash test button?

You can briefly short the centre pin on the flash to the ground - that
may prove that at least the flash works. Pro tip: don't look at the
flash when you do this.

Whenever anything that uses cell batteries doesn't function, clean all
the contacts with an abrasive. Make sure all the dust is recovered
(vaccuum is best). (This means the battery compartment and the batteries).

Connectors (flash shoe on camera and counterpart on flash, etc) should
likewise get the treatment.

Abrasives can be emery cloth, fine sandpaper, Scotchbrite. Don't use
metal abrasives like steel wool. You may need to be creative to get
into nooks and crannies.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Ken Hart[_5_] May 9th 21 07:10 PM

Nikon SB-600

On 5/9/21 11:47 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

My favorite 'nooks & crannies' contact cleaner is a typewriter eraser-
three for $8USD on Amazon.

--
Ken Hart

nospam May 9th 21 07:57 PM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

why would you expect that 'the problem is probably the flash' when
nikon repair said the flash is working properly?

there are three possible reasons. one has been ruled out. two others
remain.

nospam May 9th 21 07:57 PM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

nikon did all of that (and more) and said the flash is working properly.

the problem is not the flash.

Alan Browne[_2_] May 9th 21 08:58 PM

Nikon SB-600

On 2021-05-09 14:57, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Allegedly. Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

nospam May 9th 21 09:06 PM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Alan Browne

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

there's no reason why nikon would lie about what they did.

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

Alan Browne[_2_] May 9th 21 09:51 PM

Nikon SB-600

On 2021-05-09 16:06, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Not saying anyone lied.

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

Doesn't rule out the flash (or camera) show contacts needing a cleaning.

Peter Jason May 9th 21 10:19 PM

Nikon SB-600

Connectors (flash shoe on camera and counterpart on flash, etc) should
likewise get the treatment.

Yes I had this problem with the shoe. Over time it takes more and
more care when attaching the flash.

Peter Jason May 9th 21 10:20 PM

Nikon SB-600

Abrasives can be emery cloth, fine sandpaper, Scotchbrite. Don't use
metal abrasives like steel wool. You may need to be creative to get
into nooks and crannies.

Toothbrush? Even an electric one.

nospam May 9th 21 11:18 PM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Alan Browne

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

you said allegedly.

nikon stated they cleaned and tested the flash.

there is no reason to doubt that.

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

Doesn't rule out the flash (or camera) show contacts needing a cleaning.

according to nikon, the flash contacts are fine.

Bill W May 10th 21 01:23 AM

Nikon SB-600

On May 9, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Alan Browne

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

It’s unlikely, but the flash could have an intermittent issue. But if, as
someone else suggested, the flash works every time you press the test button,
it’s gotta be something with the camera, maybe an inadvertent settings
change, or its contacts.

nospam May 10th 21 01:36 AM

Nikon SB-600

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

Its unlikely, but the flash could have an intermittent issue. But if, as
someone else suggested, the flash works every time you press the test button,
its gotta be something with the camera, maybe an inadvertent settings
change, or its contacts.

that is one of the remaining two possibilities.

Bill W May 10th 21 03:01 AM

Nikon SB-600

On May 9, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

Further, Nikon did not clean the contacts on the camera, and
above specified battery contacts, not show contacts. Missing info
perhaps...

like i said, there are three possibilities.

the flash has been ruled out, which leaves two others.

It¹s unlikely, but the flash could have an intermittent issue. But if, as
someone else suggested, the flash works every time you press the test
button,
it¹s gotta be something with the camera, maybe an inadvertent settings
change, or its contacts.

that is one of the remaining two possibilities.

Yeah, I’m aware of the other one.

Eric Stevens May 10th 21 10:05 AM

Nikon SB-600

On Sun, 9 May 2021 11:47:20 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2021-05-09 01:16, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Yep. No go.

You can briefly short the centre pin on the flash to the ground - that
may prove that at least the flash works. Pro tip: don't look at the
flash when you do this.

Already done

Whenever anything that uses cell batteries doesn't function, clean all
the contacts with an abrasive. Make sure all the dust is recovered
(vaccuum is best). (This means the battery compartment and the batteries).

Connectors (flash shoe on camera and counterpart on flash, etc) should
likewise get the treatment.

Haven't done that. I will give it a go.

nospam May 10th 21 11:32 AM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Incubus

On 2021-05-09, Eric Stevens wrote:
A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

They are so cheap on the second hand market (which is the only market for them
now) that you might as well go to mpb.com and get a replacement with guarantee.

that won't fix the problem.

Eric Stevens May 11th 21 12:14 PM

Nikon SB-600

On Sun, 09 May 2021 17:16:03 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

A few weeks ago my trusty Nikon SB-600 flash unit stopped working. I
sent it off to the Nikon service agent (700 miles away) and they
reported that after they cleaned the battery contacts it was working
OK.

I tried to use it again today and everything was working properly -
right up to when I try to take a photograph. All the right things
happen in the window, including the little red light blinking as the
capacitor recharges. But no flash.

The problem is probably the flash but I want to prove that on another
camera. The nearest suitable camera that I know is some 30 miles away,
right through the heart of Auckland. The owner works rather extreme
hours so it might be a week before I get to try it. In the meantime I
would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the workings of
Nikon flashes. What is the most likely problem?

A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

Tubes may not be available in which case I am going to have to replace
it. There are plenty of low priced used SB-600s on the market but are
they worth buying. I am interested to note that, inspite of them not
having been made since 2010, an outfit in Japan claims to have 5 of
them - at US$900 each. Not fo me I am afraid.

Eric Stevens

nospam May 11th 21 03:03 PM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

you didn't test the flash prior to attaching it to the camera?

Alfred Molon[_4_] May 11th 21 05:36 PM

Nikon SB-600

Am 11.05.2021 um 13:14 schrieb Eric Stevens:
A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

I find it amazing that you went all the way to send a flash to Nikon for
repair. Nowadays if an electronics item breaks you just buy a new item
(unless it's an expensive camera of course).
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Savageduck[_3_] May 12th 21 02:26 PM

Nikon SB-600

On May 12, 2021, Incubus wrote
(in article ):

On 2021-05-11, Alfred wrote:
Am 11.05.2021 um 13:14 schrieb Eric Stevens:
A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

I find it amazing that you went all the way to send a flash to Nikon for
repair. Nowadays if an electronics item breaks you just buy a new item
(unless it's an expensive camera of course).

That surprised me too. Excellent ones are available on mpb.com for £64. It's
surely more expensive to get it looked at than to just get another.

Agreed! I have a 17 year old SB-800, but the my system that gets the most use is my Godox V350F and the Godox X1T-F TTL wireless flash trigger.
http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash_V350F.html

Savageduck

Eric Stevens May 13th 21 03:50 AM

Nikon SB-600

On Tue, 11 May 2021 18:36:48 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Am 11.05.2021 um 13:14 schrieb Eric Stevens:
A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

I find it amazing that you went all the way to send a flash to Nikon for
repair. Nowadays if an electronics item breaks you just buy a new item
(unless it's an expensive camera of course).

NZ$600

or from Amazon (US$345 + US$60 freight) + 15% local tax all multiplied
by 1.4 for the exchange rate = NZ$652. I know there may be cheaper
than Amazon but that price is indicative. Also purchases outside
Australasia are not covered by warrantee in NZ.

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens May 13th 21 03:54 AM

Nikon SB-600

On Wed, 12 May 2021 06:26:52 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On May 12, 2021, Incubus wrote
(in article ):

On 2021-05-11, Alfred wrote:
[...]

I want something which will operate with the Nikon Command system and
I haven't done any research as yet into alternatives. Nor do I know
what local prices are like. Whatever, but they are not US prices.

Eric Stevens

Dimitris Tzortzakakis May 13th 21 09:47 AM

Nikon SB-600

Στις 12/5/2021 4:12 μ.μ., ο/η Incubus *γραψε:
On 2021-05-11, Alfred Molon wrote:
Am 11.05.2021 um 13:14 schrieb Eric Stevens:
A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

I find it amazing that you went all the way to send a flash to Nikon for
repair. Nowadays if an electronics item breaks you just buy a new item
(unless it's an expensive camera of course).

That surprised me too. Excellent ones are available on mpb.com for £64. It's
surely more expensive to get it looked at than to just get another.

I had my Canon EOS-30 serviced in Canon Athens for 60 euros, all the
buttons on the back were not working (I bought it NOS in October 2019)
but that's a different case-the camera is not being manufactured any
more. I have the Speedlite 540 EZ, also bought NOS. As the tube in the
flash being shattered, I suppose it's being made of quartz (or maybe
glass-I think it's being filled with xenon). You can see some of my
photos in my flickr account-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167258532@N02/

Alfred Molon[_4_] May 13th 21 11:31 AM

Nikon SB-600

wrote:

Am 11.05.2021 um 13:14 schrieb Eric Stevens:
A new development. I sent the flash back to the Nikon service centre
and they have just reported to me that the flash tube is broken -
shattered. Presumably this happened when the flash was being shipped
back to me although there was no evidence of rough handling on the
box. I would not have thought that they were that fragile.

I find it amazing that you went all the way to send a flash to Nikon for
repair. Nowadays if an electronics item breaks you just buy a new item
(unless it's an expensive camera of course).

NZ$600

or from Amazon (US$345 + US$60 freight) + 15% local tax all multiplied
by 1.4 for the exchange rate = NZ$652. I know there may be cheaper
than Amazon but that price is indicative. Also purchases outside
Australasia are not covered by warrantee in NZ.

Just had a look for compatible flashes and noticed that Metz went
bankrupt. My goodness.

But there are still other inexpensive alternatives to the Nikon branded
flashes.

nospam May 17th 21 10:41 AM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Incubus
wrote:

Nikon flashes themselves are an inexpensive alternative. The SB-800 is still
an incredible flash if you don't want to pay current prices for the new model.

except when it overheats.

nospam May 17th 21 04:44 PM

Nikon SB-600

In article , Incubus
wrote:

Nikon flashes themselves are an inexpensive alternative. The SB-800 is
still
an incredible flash if you don't want to pay current prices for the new
model.

except when it overheats.

I thought that was a problem with the 900. The 800 is well regarded from what
I have seen but I wouldn't touch the 900.

the 900 shut down when it got too hot.
the 800 didn't.

Savageduck[_3_] May 17th 21 05:08 PM

Nikon SB-600

On May 17, 2021, Incubus wrote
(in article ):

On 2021-05-17, wrote:
In , Incubus
wrote:

Nikon flashes themselves are an inexpensive alternative. The SB-800 is still
an incredible flash if you don't want to pay current prices for the new model.

except when it overheats.

I thought that was a problem with the 900. The 800 is well regarded from what
I have seen but I wouldn't touch the 900.

The SB-800 is great.

Savageduck