PhotoBanter.com

-   Large Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Seeking a Master Printing Workshop (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=2636)

Ken Smith February 1st 04 11:55 PM

Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

I'm interested in finding a master printing workshop, or private
instruction. I would like to find a true master printer that is not
1.) alternative process oriented 2.) masking oriented 3.) toner
oriented 4.) or any other whistle and gong. My idea of a great printer
in the silver process is one who can make prints from my negatives
that I never thought possible, without resorting to anything fancy,
even including bleach. I don't usually care for spectacular, punchy
images. I'm far more interested in long tones that retain richness of
contrast, and evenness. Seemlessly evening things out , and juggling
twenty areas without going through a whole box of paper, is more my
problem. Of course an alternative process printer may be the best man
out there, but I am not interested in launching into yet another
materials oriented technique with its promises when my underlining
skills have not been resolved. Time by the way has not resolved the
impass. I started printing in 1973.

Too tall an order? It's my feeling that I am making above average
prints, but my working approach is somehow flawed, and the exceptional
is too rarely acheived, even though the negatives are well under
control, (thanks to Pyrocat.) All these other approaches I'm sure have
their place, but I want to first acheive exceptional straight forward
printing. Some people might say I
have done just that, as I've been hired several times to print shows
and portfolios. I feel however that I am at best an 8 out of 10 and am
struggling to close the gap.

I can no longer justify ten to twenty sheets of paper per print, even
though many printers will say that's exactly average. I say, how is
anyone supposed to get portfolios together when hundreds and hundreds
of dollars end up in the trash? So...does anybody know of a great
printer that has a workshop, or would perhaps even take on a private
few sessions that address a master level of silver printmaking, and
does not spend 90% of the class on basics, or veer off into elaborate
techniques?

John February 2nd 04 12:38 AM

On 1 Feb 2004 15:55:50 -0800, (Ken Smith) wrote:

I can no longer justify ten to twenty sheets of paper per print, even
though many printers will say that's exactly average.

If it ever took me 20 sheets of paper to get a good
enlargement I'd throw in the towel.

9/10ths of the work is done in the camera. Frankly I rarely
expose more than 1~2 sheets prior to making a good final print.
Honestly I don't know how I do it but the other night when I printed
with the Elwood for the first time I simply looked at the light coming
out of the lens which I had never printed with and made a good 8X10 on
the very first print. Not perfect. Took one more print for that.

BTW, why do you believe that Pyrocat has helped your images ?
Developers have many qualities but they rarely are actually capable of
addressing dramatic problems in a negative.

So what area are you in ?

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer -
http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

BCampbell February 2nd 04 01:33 AM

Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

You've pretty much described John Sexton and his darkroom workshops. Start
with "The Expressive Black and White Print," then take the others.

om...

BCampbell February 2nd 04 01:39 AM

Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

Many experienced printers can look at a negative and make at least a
semi-respectable first print. One or two more tries will usually produce a
nice proof print. Then it's time to go to work.

Willhelm February 2nd 04 03:40 AM

Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

So...does anybody know of a great
printer that has a workshop?

Twenty years ago I was looking for the same thing, and found it with
George Tice's workshop at the Maine Photographic Workshops. I believe
he still gives it there every year.

Largformat February 2nd 04 04:02 AM

Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

You've pretty much described John Sexton and his darkroom workshops. Start
with "The Expressive Black and White Print," then take the
others.

The problem with Sexton's class is that you don't get to do the printing. You
watch him make prints from his own negs that he has frequently owed people for
sometime. A better approach is to find a class where you can do the printing
yourself. George Tice used to do one at the Maine Photo program and he is an
excellent printer. Gordon Hutchings does a large format class that includes
printing at the Maine program as well.

Also, go to galleries where images by Tice, Paul Caponigro, Adams, etc. are on
display so you know what is possible.

steve simmons

John February 2nd 04 04:37 AM

On 02 Feb 2004 04:02:20 GMT, (Largformat) wrote:

The problem with Sexton's class is that you don't get to do the printing. You
watch him make prints from his own negs that he has frequently owed people for
sometime. A better approach is to find a class where you can do the printing
yourself. George Tice used to do one at the Maine Photo program and he is an
excellent printer. Gordon Hutchings does a large format class that includes
printing at the Maine program as well.

Also, go to galleries where images by Tice, Paul Caponigro, Adams, etc. are on
display so you know what is possible.

I attended a seminar by Scott Griswold in Somers Point, N.J.
which was very interesting. We didn't print during the class but
rather would bring in images and discuss them for about a half hour at
the end of each session. Scott is certainly a great photographer.
Unfortunately I haven't spoken to him in about 10 years now.

John February 2nd 04 04:40 AM

Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

On 02 Feb 2004 04:02:20 GMT, (Largformat) wrote:

Also, go to galleries where images by Tice, Paul Caponigro, Adams, etc. are on
display so you know what is possible.

Certainly a good idea.

IMO, experience and a good log are the best teaching tools you
can have. Going to a workshop can open your eyes to 1~2 things but
spending a week of your vacation just photographing and making notes
will go a long towards perfecting both.

Gregory W Blank February 2nd 04 05:42 AM

Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

In article ,
John wrote:

On 02 Feb 2004 04:02:20 GMT, (Largformat) wrote:
Also, go to galleries where images by Tice, Paul Caponigro, Adams, etc. are on
display so you know what is possible.

Certainly a good idea.

IMO, experience and a good log are the best teaching tools you
can have. Going to a workshop can open your eyes to 1~2 things but
spending a week of your vacation just photographing and making notes
will go a long towards perfecting both.

Up close I like Strand's and Weston's prints,....too bad they are both gone.
--
LF website
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

sympatico.ca February 2nd 04 07:16 AM