PhotoBanter.com

-   -   What kind of bird is this? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=79523)

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman April 9th 07 09:51 PM

What kind of bird is this?

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Robert April 9th 07 09:57 PM

What kind of bird is this?

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Blue Heron

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/No...photo97272.htm

Robert

Annika1980 April 9th 07 10:36 PM

What kind of bird is this?

On Apr 9, 4:51 pm, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

That's Spike's cousin:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68412685

Nervous Nick April 9th 07 11:19 PM

What kind of bird is this?

On Apr 9, 4:19 pm, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)"
wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:57:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Robert"

wrote:

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Blue Heron

More properly known as a Great Blue Heron, no?

We call them "muddy egrets" in these parts. Beautiful birds.

--
YOP...

Joseph Meehan April 10th 07 12:57 AM

What kind of bird is this?

wrote:

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message
A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me
identify the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding
in the bottom right-hand corner.)

Thanks.

-Joel

Blue Heron

More properly known as a Great Blue Heron, no?

Yes and there is a Little Blue Heron as well, but that one looks like a
Great Blue. I get to see a lot of them while I am rowing. They are
impressive birds, especially when they slowly pass by at eye level going the
same direction I am rowing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Allen April 10th 07 02:22 AM

What kind of bird is this?

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:57:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Yes and there is a Little Blue Heron as well, but that one looks like a
Great Blue.

FWIW, to me it doesn't look anything close to a GBH from what these sites
show:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...lue_Heron.html
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/sho...dNumber=BD0111
http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/pub/ifw...lue-heron.html
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/littleblueheron.htm

Why do you think it isn't a GREAT Blue Heron when you are showing us
four different pictures of LITTLE Blue Herons? It is definitely a Great
Blue, a magnificent bird.
Allen

John Sheehy April 10th 07 05:16 AM

What kind of bird is this?

(Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote in news:4HxSh.25$XH5.13
@newsfe12.lga:

A bit off topic, but I'll be grateful if someone can help me identify
the bird in the first shot on this page:

http://posted-online.com/NWC/

I think it's an Igret, but I'd like to know for sure. (It's hiding in
the bottom right-hand corner.)

I don't know how they decide if a bird is called an egret or a heron; it
looks closely related to birds called egrets, but it's common name is the
"Great Blue Heron".

It lives in the NYC area fall, winter and spring, and goes to cooler
climates for the summer. Most lakes and ponds in Westchester and the Bronx
have at least one throughout the winter (the other herons and egrets
usually head south in early November).

--

John P Sheehy