PhotoBanter.com

-   Film & Labs (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   to test EI for color negatives (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=77132)

Steven Woody February 15th 07 02:50 AM

to test EI for color negatives

i am so happy i now can home test speeds of b&w negatives. i adapted
the method from Adams's books which told me how to find 0.1 density
point on the negative by using a lightbox and a spot meter. it's
great.

now i am considering color negatives and is trying do the similar
things on them. i always send color negatives out to a lab for
developing, and again, i dont have a densitormeter. can i test speeds
( up to the same lab i used ) of color negatives at home?

thanks.

-
woody

February 15th 07 04:04 AM

to test EI for color negatives

In article .com,
Steven Woody wrote:

now i am considering color negatives and is trying do the similar
things on them. i always send color negatives out to a lab for
developing, and again, i dont have a densitormeter. can i test speeds
( up to the same lab i used ) of color negatives at home?

I don't see why you couldn't use the same method. A little experiment
might be needed though.

--
http://www.spinics.net/digicam/

Steven Woody February 15th 07 12:58 PM

to test EI for color negatives

On 2月15日, 下午12时04分, () wrote:
In article .com,

Steven Woody wrote:
now i am considering color negatives and is trying do the similar
things on them. i always send color negatives out to a lab for
developing, and again, i dont have a densitormeter. can i test speeds
( up to the same lab i used ) of color negatives at home?

I don't see why you couldn't use the same method. A little experiment
might be needed though.

--http://www.spinics.net/digicam/

for B&W negatives, i find the 0.1 density above base + fog for Zone 1
exposure. for color negatives, i don't know what density i should
find Zone 1 exposure because there are more than one dyes on the film.

-
woody

February 16th 07 02:14 AM

to test EI for color negatives

In article . com,
Steven Woody wrote:

for B&W negatives, i find the 0.1 density above base + fog for
Zone 1 exposure. for color negatives, i don't know what density
i should find Zone 1 exposure because there are more than one
dyes on the film.

Then you should do tests and see what you like. But I doubt more
than one dye will be an issue. Try 0.1 and see if you like the
result.

Steven Woody February 23rd 07 02:08 PM

to test EI for color negatives

On 2月16日, 上午10时14分, () wrote:
In article . com,

Steven Woody wrote:
for B&W negatives, i find the 0.1 density above base + fog for
Zone 1 exposure. forcolornegatives, i don't know what density
i should find Zone 1 exposure because there are more than one
dyes on the film.

Then you should do tests and see what you like. But I doubt more
than one dye will be an issue. Try 0.1 and see if you like the
result.

does it mean that you think the zone I is the exposure which produces
densities on all dyes of a color negative add up to 0.1 plus base
+fog ?

thanks.

-
woody

February 23rd 07 06:59 PM

to test EI for color negatives

In article om,
Steven Woody wrote:

does it mean that you think the zone I is the exposure which
produces densities on all dyes of a color negative add up to 0.1
plus base +fog ?

That'd be a good starting point at least. It's the same principle
as black and white: you are looking for where the film starts
responding to light.

Gregory Blank February 24th 07 05:30 PM

to test EI for color negatives

In article , () wrote:

In article om,
Steven Woody wrote:

does it mean that you think the zone I is the exposure which
produces densities on all dyes of a color negative add up to 0.1
plus base +fog ?

That'd be a good starting point at least. It's the same principle
as black and white: you are looking for where the film starts
responding to light.

Sounds good,.....

To the OP:

Be careful of equating transmissive values and actual density........

It might be a good starting point, but the dyes won't be a perfect .1
because they transmit light differently. They spread out across the
complete plot "family" .
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.

Father Kodak February 25th 07 08:06 AM

to test EI for color negatives

On 14 Feb 2007 18:50:15 -0800, "Steven Woody"
wrote:

i am so happy i now can home test speeds of b&w negatives. i adapted
the method from Adams's books which told me how to find 0.1 density
point on the negative by using a lightbox and a spot meter. it's
great.

Which of Adams' books? Can you summarize here?

Thanks,

Father Kodak

Steven Woody February 26th 07 09:26 AM

wrote:

i am so happy i now can home test speeds of b&w negatives. i adapted
the method from Adams's books which told me how to find 0.1 density
point on the negative by using a lightbox and a spot meter. it's
great.

Which of Adams' books? Can you summarize here?

Thanks,

Father Kodak

in 'The Negative', Adams introduced a method of using a spot meter to
measure film density. 0.3 unit of EV difference ( in log_2 ) in your
meter means density difference of 0.1 ( in log_10 ). that's it.