PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn. (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4886)

Steve Lee July 3rd 04 07:25 AM

Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

I've narrowed my selection down to the Sony DSC-W1 and Canon S500.
I've read the reviews of both cameras at various sites (not user
reviews, but indepth expert/editor reviews), but none seem to make a
strong recommendation over the other between these two.

Here are some of the reviews I've read so far:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s500.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S500/S50A.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/W1A.HTM and the side-by-side
comparisons can be found here,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...dscw1&show=all

Because of Carl Zeiss lens used by DSC-W1, it seems to better pictures
with less noise and aberration. Also, the W1 has some manual
aperature options, while the S500 has none. However, the S500's white
balance options are supposed to be better than the W1.

Based upon the reviews, which camera would you guys choose? Thanks
for your time and courtesy!

A.F. Hobbacher July 3rd 04 07:54 AM

Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

I had the same decision and bought the Sony W1, but why?

1. For spontaneous pictures you need the possibility of normal batteries. Somebody comes for a short visit, you
want to take a picture, but not possible beause of emty accumulator. What then? Wait 4 hours for loading!
2. Manual control of exposure and computing settings, as contrast, sharpening etc.
3. Big display, which allows for a better composition of the image.
4. Powerful flash

Now it is up to you!

AFH

marlin July 3rd 04 08:18 AM

"Steve Lee" wrote in message
Because of Carl Zeiss lens used by DSC-W1, it seems to better pictures
with less noise and aberration.

Just so you know, the lens isn't actually a Zeiss lens, rather it is a Zeiss
style lens. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, I just thought you
should know. Anyways, as much as I am a Canon fan, I say get the Sony.
Richard

SleeperMan July 3rd 04 10:42 AM

Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

marlin typed:

"Steve Lee" wrote in message
Because of Carl Zeiss lens used by DSC-W1, it seems to better
pictures with less noise and aberration.

Just so you know, the lens isn't actually a Zeiss lens, rather it is
a Zeiss style lens. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, I just
thought you should know. Anyways, as much as I am a Canon fan, I say
get the Sony. Richard

Also noise isn't dependant on lens, but rather on CCD sensor. Good lens
provides less distortion, not less noise.

Sabineellen July 3rd 04 11:57 AM

Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

Because of Carl Zeiss lens used by DSC-W1, it seems to better pictures
with less noise and aberration.

The Carl Zeiss lens is a joke, just marketting hype and profitting from a name,
it has little to do with the legendary Zeiss quality. Don't be fooled by that.
Same is for Manual control; it's marketting hype ("aperture range is limited --
you only have two choices: at wide-angle they are F2.8/F5.6 and at telephoto
they are F5.2/F10"). No one cares if your image was automatically or manually
exposed; all anyone cares about is whether it's well exposed or not. I suggest
you just use spot metering and exposure compensation if necessary for difficult
shots, anything beyond that for a compact digital is hype.

BTW, have you looked at the Casio QVR-51? This is the one i'd buy if i was
looking for a compact digital.

ArtKramr July 3rd 04 02:46 PM

Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

Subject: Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.
From: "marlin" am
Date: 7/3/2004 12:18 AM Pacific Standard Time

Just so you know, the lens isn't actually a Zeiss lens, rather it is a Zeiss
style lens. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, I just thought you
should know. Anyways, as much as I am a Canon fan, I say get the Sony.
Richard

What is a Zeiss "style" lens?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr July 3rd 04 02:51 PM

Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

From: (Sabineellen)
Date: 7/3/2004 3:57 AM Pacific Standard Time

--
you only have two choices: at wide-angle they are F2.8/F5.6 and at telephoto
they are F5.2/F10"). No one cares if your image was automatically or manually
exposed; all anyone cares about is whether it's well exposed or not. I
suggest
you just use spot metering and exposure compensation if necessary for
difficult
shots, anything beyond that for a compact digital is hype.

The lens is a Zeiss design made under tight Zeiss supervision every step of the
way right through to final quality control.

David J Taylor July 3rd 04 04:44 PM

Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[]
What is a Zeiss "style" lens?

One that has a Zeiss styling?

marlin July 3rd 04 05:10 PM

"Marli" wrote in message ...
Canon make Cameras, Sony make toys and walkmans..

That's the way I usually go about it, but in this instance, the Sony has
longer battery life, less noise at higher ISO's, a better movie mode, has
manual controls, and takes IMHO sharper pictures. The only mark against the
Sony is that it doesn't have a custom white balance. Like I said, I'd go
with the Sony if I were deciding between these cameras.
Richard