PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   High-key portrait (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14)

M&M January 24th 04 05:09 AM

High-key portrait

How do I get that High-key portrait look with B&W film? I have a white wall
and no studio lighting. However I have a strobe and a few $2 light fixtures
from the local hardware store.

Do I extend development to intentionally blow the highlights?

otzi January 24th 04 07:55 AM

High-key portrait

"M&M" wrote in message
How do I get that High-key portrait look with B&W film? I have a white

wall
and no studio lighting. However I have a strobe and a few $2 light

fixtures
from the local hardware store.

Do I extend development to intentionally blow the highlights?

Try rec.photo.technique.people

Matt Clara January 24th 04 11:06 PM

High-key portrait

"M&M" wrote in message
How do I get that High-key portrait look with B&W film? I have a white

wall
and no studio lighting. However I have a strobe and a few $2 light

fixtures
from the local hardware store.

Do I extend development to intentionally blow the highlights?

Print with a 3 1/2 or 4 filter?

--
www.mattclara.com

Ken Hart January 25th 04 06:32 AM

High-key portrait

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"M&M" wrote in message
How do I get that High-key portrait look with B&W film? I have a white

wall
and no studio lighting. However I have a strobe and a few $2 light

fixtures
from the local hardware store.

Do I extend development to intentionally blow the highlights?

Print with a 3 1/2 or 4 filter?

If you want the background to go all white, then make sure that the
background receives at least one stop more exposure than the subject. More
than one stop won't hurt; after all, you want the background over-exposed.
For example: Assume that the distance from your flash to the subject is 11
feet. Then expose the background with the same amount of light from 8 feet
(or less) away.

In my studio, I use separate background strobes that illuminate only the
background.

Others may disagree, but I don't like the idea of a special darkroom
technique to compensate for what should be on the film. (but that's just
me!)

Ken Hart

BobW January 26th 04 12:43 PM

High-key portrait

I have managed to get a high-key "pencil sketch" effect with a normal
negative by using a high contrast setting on the enlarger and under
exposing/developing the print.