PhotoBanter.com

-   -   crop thumbnail (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=133175)

Scott Lurndal June 13th 21 03:59 AM

crop thumbnail

If I crop a photo with multiple people in it and want to make sure the JPEG
exif thumbnail doesn't still have the people I cropped out, what Windows
program can I use to reset the thumbnail to the newly cropped results?

nospam June 13th 21 04:08 AM

crop thumbnail

In article , Scott Lurndal
wrote:

If I crop a photo with multiple people in it and want to make sure the JPEG
exif thumbnail doesn't still have the people I cropped out, what Windows
program can I use to reset the thumbnail to the newly cropped results?

whatever you used to crop the photo, which will create a thumbnail when
you save the cropped photo. that's the point of having a thumbnail.

David Taylor June 13th 21 08:05 AM

crop thumbnail

On 13/06/2021 03:59, Scott Lurndal wrote:
If I crop a photo with multiple people in it and want to make sure the JPEG
exif thumbnail doesn't still have the people I cropped out, what Windows
program can I use to reset the thumbnail to the newly cropped results?

If I needed to do that, I would likely try IrfanView to see the image,
Edit|Copy. Close IrfanView. Open IrfanView. Edit Paste. Of course,
re-saving a JPEG can loose a little quality. You might also try
JpegCrop. Any other image processing program might work with the
copy/save as new image.

At a quick test JPEGcrop seems to work, at least displaying the the
image in Windows. EXIFtool would allow you to remove the thumbnail
altogether.

https://exiftool.org/

https://jpegclub.org/

David
--
Cheers,
David

Alfred Molon[_4_] June 13th 21 09:12 AM

crop thumbnail

Am 13.06.2021 um 04:59 schrieb Scott Lurndal:
If I crop a photo with multiple people in it and want to make sure the JPEG
exif thumbnail doesn't still have the people I cropped out, what Windows
program can I use to reset the thumbnail to the newly cropped results?

If you want to remove the EXIF data (which also contains the thumbnail),
you can use Exifer:
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Scott Lurndal June 13th 21 01:04 PM

crop thumbnail

Alfred Molon writes:
If you want to remove the EXIF data (which also contains the thumbnail),
you can use Exifer:
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Exifer comes up with a 404 not found in the tucows link at bottom.

nospam June 13th 21 01:25 PM

crop thumbnail

In article , Scott Lurndal
wrote:

If you want to remove the EXIF data (which also contains the thumbnail),
you can use Exifer:
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Exifer comes up with a 404 not found in the tucows link at bottom.

your original question was to save a valid thumbnail, not remove it.
that happens automatically when saving the photo.

if you want to remove it, then use exiftool.

Scott Lurndal June 13th 21 02:07 PM

crop thumbnail

nospam writes:
If you want to remove the EXIF data (which also contains the thumbnail),
you can use Exifer:
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Exifer comes up with a 404 not found in the tucows link at bottom.

your original question was to save a valid thumbnail, not remove it.
that happens automatically when saving the photo.

if you want to remove it, then use exiftool.

I don't want to remove the EXIF thumbnail nor do I want to save it.
I only want to reset it to what the current cropped photo contains.
When I send someone that photo it contains that reset EXIF thumbnail.

nospam June 13th 21 02:17 PM

crop thumbnail

In article , Scott Lurndal
wrote:

If you want to remove the EXIF data (which also contains the thumbnail),
you can use Exifer:
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Exifer comes up with a 404 not found in the tucows link at bottom.

your original question was to save a valid thumbnail, not remove it.
that happens automatically when saving the photo.

if you want to remove it, then use exiftool.

I don't want to remove the EXIF thumbnail nor do I want to save it.

your original question was to save a new thumbnail of the cropped image.

you followed the above link about removing the thumbnail, so clearly
removing it was also of interest to you.

I only want to reset it to what the current cropped photo contains.
When I send someone that photo it contains that reset EXIF thumbnail.

that's called saving a new thumbnail.

as i said before, when you save the cropped image, a new thumbnail is
automatically created which is a miniature version of the image. that's
the whole point of having a thumbnail.

you also asked this as a separate post in the win10 group without
cross-posting to both groups.

it's quite obvious what you're up to. you can run but you can't hide.

Savageduck[_3_] June 13th 21 04:34 PM

crop thumbnail

On Jun 12, 2021, Scott Lurndal wrote
(in article ):

If I crop a photo with multiple people in it and want to make sure the JPEG
exif thumbnail doesn't still have the people I cropped out, what Windows
program can I use to reset the thumbnail to the newly cropped results?

What editing software are you using?

Have you made this edit yet?
If so, a new thumbnail reflecting the crop/edit should have been created.

Savageduck

nospam June 13th 21 04:46 PM

crop thumbnail

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Jun 12, 2021, Scott Lurndal wrote
(in article ):
If I crop a photo with multiple people in it and want to make sure the JPEG
exif thumbnail doesn't still have the people I cropped out, what Windows
program can I use to reset the thumbnail to the newly cropped results?

What editing software are you using?

doesn't matter. they all do it.

Have you made this edit yet?
If so, a new thumbnail reflecting the crop/edit should have been created.

you're assuming there is an edit to be made.

you do realize who this is, right?